Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 03:45:41 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  Question about suppressed; gas to face
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Question about suppressed; gas to face  (Read 408 times)
SteveD

« on: October 10, 2017, 02:43:57 AM »

So I just bought a suppressor and it is in jail. I know I should have gotten the OSS Suppressor for the back pressure issues but it was more of a hassle than buying from my local Primary Arms (with a SilencerShop Kiosk) and it was twice the price. I ended up with an AAC 556 SD. Now I know the sloppy fit ejection port can leak gas out but I'll just tape it up.

The top rail, however, seems like the 2nd culprit in gas to the face. Can I "seal" up the edges and cracks? Like nail polish it or something? The gas is already cool, right? Not gonna melt anything?
Leonitus

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 06:28:11 AM »

There are a few companies that make better weak side port covers.
Have not heard of anyone sealing the rail, but it may be a good idea. I wouldn’t call that gas super-heated, but it isn’t cool. I’d be more inclined to use release compound on the receiver and RTV on the rail. Essentially bedding the rail in place with RTV to seal the gas. The release compound would allow for easy rail removal
pilot4prophet

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:28:46 AM »

There are a few companies that make better weak side port covers.
Have not heard of anyone sealing the rail, but it may be a good idea. I wouldn’t call that gas super-heated, but it isn’t cool. I’d be more inclined to use release compound on the receiver and RTV on the rail. Essentially bedding the rail in place with RTV to seal the gas. The release compound would allow for easy rail removal

Yes, RTV silicone (black high temp) is about as high a temperature sealant you can get. Good for 500f.

P4P
chowser51

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 03:53:39 AM »

got a gasket cover for port and i used rtv? gasket maker under the top rail.  didn't help much.  switched the 5.56 suppressor our for .30 cal one, it helped very little.

drilled (yes, blasphemy) a few holes in the top rail just forward of my red dot optic, and it helped a little more.

still sucks.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 05:30:19 PM »

got a gasket cover for port and i used rtv? gasket maker under the top rail.  didn't help much.  switched the 5.56 suppressor our for .30 cal one, it helped very little.

drilled (yes, blasphemy) a few holes in the top rail just forward of my red dot optic, and it helped a little more.

still sucks.

I would drill the gas tube before the optic rail since it's a 10$ part and would be more effective.

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
chowser51

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 06:14:44 PM »

Can you show me a picture? I bought an extra one.  That was my next thing to try.

Thanks
Leonitus

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 05:04:46 PM »

https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=4176.0

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 05:08:59 PM by Leonitus » Logged
SteveD

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 12:22:46 AM »

Any thoughts on drilling that vent hole a little larger near the gas block? It's there to vent excess gas but will drilling it a bit bigger kindaaa slow down the cyclic rate?
Leonitus

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »

No idea.......would need to experiment
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length