Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 03:47:12 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR
| | |-+  MY MDR didnt even make it to the range. I sent it back to DT.
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: MY MDR didnt even make it to the range. I sent it back to DT.  (Read 4137 times)
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 03:06:16 PM »

I hate it for you. To have a new rifle with problems is not unusual, but the thing that bothers me most is the company turn over. From the guy from sig to this latest one in warranty dept. Is what concerns me morr.

Yeah, the fact that it was the QC manager that suddenly quit without warning is what makes me very uneasy.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:08:25 PM by Frostburg » Logged
Tubal

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 03:11:50 PM »

I hate it for you. To have a new rifle with problems is not unusual, but the thing that bothers me most is the company turn over. From the guy from sig to this latest one in warranty dept. Is what concerns me morr.

Yeah, the fact that it was the QC manager that suddenly quit without warning is what makes me very uneasy.

He was just the warranty guy no?  Don (who is QC) is now handling it, since Stuart (the warranty guy) quit coming to work.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:13:34 PM by Tubal » Logged
Kenndapp
^

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 03:36:28 PM »

He was just the warranty guy no?  Don (who is QC) is now handling it, since Stuart (the warranty guy) quit coming to work.

This is accurate. Yes.
Kenndapp
^

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »

Delete
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:43:46 PM by Kenndapp » Logged
Kenndapp
^

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 03:40:23 PM »

[/quote]

He was just the warranty guy no?  Don (who is QC) is now handling it, since Stuart (the warranty guy) quit coming to work.
[/quote]

This is accurate. Yes. Actually looking back at it.... remember when I mentioned Stuart's attitude was less than apologetic?

On the phone... when I started express my frustration with my situation, he cut me off and told me that I also need to realized the frustrations he is facing. I didn't think about at the time having just received a minor verbal b**** slap. But yeah.... looks daunting.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:42:29 PM by Kenndapp » Logged
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 04:11:42 PM »

Hberetta....  I did call and email before I did anything. I thought I mentioned that.

if you did you didn't mention in your initial post...made it appear that all happened then the subsequent email after giving up.  either way we learn from our mistakes...and i'm sure some of us here may have visualized how they would've handled the mag release sticking being in your shoes.  i mean i can see myself inspecting the gun as you did wondering where to problem was...or maybe you didn't to a surgeon's degree.  i would've called as well immediately.  i was thinking maybe the mag release and cutout were too snug or something to do with the linkage running along the receiver.  curiosity definitely had me thinking what you went through with regard to it sticking.

i'm sorry though man..i wouldn't of viced the gun...just the barrel.  you said you did make calls...did you ask if they're using locktite or rocksett?  wouldn't be surprised considering it's 308.  it seems it's always advised with aftermarket comps so i'm actually curious.

worst case scenario you're able to pass your wisdom along...the upside to mistakes.

and even better the ceo is looking to set you right...and quickly after your initial post.  not sure you'd get that anywhere else.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 04:14:53 PM by HBeretta » Logged
generalzip

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 04:47:45 PM »

I don't mean to add insult to injury, but I will say I've had my fair share of OEM over-torqued parts. Rule of thumb is also to remove any parts that can be damaged by slipping or are not made to handle the torque (ie. clamp to metal things). Which you did.

However, everyone with a pre-ordered MDR needs to go to Harbor Freight and get a heat gun. In my experience of all things stuck, WD40/light oil and lots of heat (have even used blow torches) will get things untorqued 100% of the time. Heat not only melts/loosens any adhesive, coatings, loctites, but it also expands the metal part you are trying to budge everrr so slightly enabling you to use less torque to get it off. Just my .02.

Hope you get a good rifle back. I know the feeling of frustration. Sucks. I hope by the time my MDR comes in they have fixed the Flash Hider torquing and the mag issue. Only other "fix" I see it to drill the gas port hole a bit smaller as they all seem to be over-gassed.
Kenndapp
^

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 02:08:06 PM »

10/9

I received an email from Don. He went over all the work that was done and let me know that the MDR is moving over to the shipping department and I should receive a tracking number in the next few days. He seemed professional and efficient. If you have to deal Don ( hope you don't) you will find your self in capable hands. He was very efficient and to the point in his emails so I'm not sure what was specifically done. But from the sound of it my mag release assembly was defiantly swapped out or altered.
newguy2k3

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 05:57:28 PM »

That's good. Still waiting on an email back that they even know where the hell mine is at.
Kenndapp
^

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 06:01:57 PM »

10/9

I received an email from Don. He went over all the work that was done and let me know that the MDR is moving over to the shipping department and I should receive a tracking number in the next few days. He seemed professional and efficient. If you have to deal Don ( hope you don't) you will find your self in capable hands. He was very efficient and to the point in his emails so I'm not sure what was specifically done. But from the sound of it my mag release assembly was defiantly swapped out or altered.

Edit to say the tracking number came in too. Scheduled for a Friday the 13th delivery.
EWTHeckman
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2017, 08:04:50 PM »

Edit to say the tracking number came in too. Scheduled for a Friday the 13th delivery.

That can't be good…

Somebody had to say it!  Evil  Evil

Actually, I'm glad they're taking good care of you. Hopefully you'll have a bunch of fun and spend too much on ammo once you get it back!
medicrn11
^

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 05:47:51 AM »

So my experience is similar to yours. If someone is going to get a s*** rifles....its this guy...as was the case with the RDB as well. So I took my MDR to the range, first shot was a failure to eject and the casing was jammed in the chamber. And dont get me started on the pain it is to remove an unfired round stuck behind that one. Anyway, after a trip home for a hammer and rod job as it was incredibly stuck, I went back to the range. This time the mag release jammed and then fractured. I was told by Stuart that this was a production error and several are coming back that way. I had no idea Stuart was gone, he just hasn't provided me any updates or answered my email. I feel that desert tech is a mom and pop company that hit the lottery with this rifle and wasn't prepared for it. I mean cmon, they only had one warranty guy who just up and quit? This can't be a great place to work for or he saw the writing on the wall.
Sdevante
^

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 08:43:19 AM »

Feeling a bit less upset about the GB taking so long.   Undecided
Box

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 11:36:01 AM »

So my experience is similar to yours. If someone is going to get a s*** rifles....its this guy...as was the case with the RDB as well. So I took my MDR to the range, first shot was a failure to eject and the casing was jammed in the chamber. And dont get me started on the pain it is to remove an unfired round stuck behind that one. Anyway, after a trip home for a hammer and rod job as it was incredibly stuck, I went back to the range. This time the mag release jammed and then fractured. I was told by Stuart that this was a production error and several are coming back that way. I had no idea Stuart was gone, he just hasn't provided me any updates or answered my email. I feel that desert tech is a mom and pop company that hit the lottery with this rifle and wasn't prepared for it. I mean cmon, they only had one warranty guy who just up and quit? This can't be a great place to work for or he saw the writing on the wall.

That’s terrible.  I really hope these are outliers.
Kenndapp
^

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2017, 02:46:09 PM »

So my mdr made it to my front door by Friday. I put it back together that evening. Everything appears to be okay. Mag release is still stiff as all hell but it does drop mags and accept mags with no problem.  No more sticking. I assume it will wear in. The flash hidder screwed right off and I was able to put on my lantac. The trigger is still not what we were lead to believe it was going to be in my opinion. I think it's better than what I returned to them but I'm not sure. I guess it will wear in as well. It's creepy. And heavy. I still think an x95 trigger has the edge on the MDR for factory triggers. The x95 is defiantly crisper but probably a tad heavier. They are close. Hopefully these parts wear together well and it looses all the creep it has.  At least I have a functional weapon back. I can't say that desert tech did not take care of me. Sadly it will be a week or two before I ever get this thing out to the rage to see how it really preforming.
Potss
^

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2017, 02:11:44 PM »

Glad it is finally working for you, bummer about the trigger.
E7G USMC
^

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2017, 07:35:07 AM »

Have you been to the range? Indoor or Outdoor  for a function check?  There are only 2 members that I can tell received their MDRs and all are troublesome. 

Please update on the quality of the repairs and fit and function.

Thank You
medicrn11
^

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2017, 07:25:51 AM »

I have my MDR back. Kyle, who is now in the warranty department, scrapped my entire lower and started over. I have ran 8 different magazines through it with two types of ammo. It ran with no issues. I am going to put more rounds through it this weekend.
pwillie

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2017, 10:51:48 AM »

Nice! 

Keep us updated...please!!   Grin
whiskey91lima

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2017, 05:17:07 PM »

I have my MDR back. Kyle, who is now in the warranty department, scrapped my entire lower and started over. I have ran 8 different magazines through it with two types of ammo. It ran with no issues. I am going to put more rounds through it this weekend.

So there is at least one rifle in the wild.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length