Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 07:52:32 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  K&M Arms M17S 5.56 and .308
| | |-+  Anyone Running Suppressed
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anyone Running Suppressed  (Read 1805 times)
Desert Kraut

« on: September 22, 2017, 03:06:55 PM »

Unless I missed it, is anyone running their M17S suppressed? Would like to hear what you are using and how it affects the gun. Is it gassy or is anyone having any cycling issues.

A am looking to add one to my 5.56 and would like some input. Thanks.
xdmikey

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 11:56:07 AM »

Sorry for the delayed response but Harvey has caused me issues, to say the least.

It is the least gassy of my 'pups.
Potss
^

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 12:27:11 PM »

Great to hear it is the least gassy of your bullpups xdmikey.  What are you comparing it to specifically?

OP, if you want low back pressure and less cycling issues, I'd highly recommend the SIG SRD 7.62 lineup (the QD TI if you can afford it) or the Q Trash Panda.  Not only do they provide excellent db reduction on 5.56 as well as 7.62, but they also have about the lowest back pressure of any can outside of things like the OSS (that weight 2x as much or more, and cost 3x).
Desert Kraut

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 01:07:40 PM »

Thanks for the response guys. The sound of crickets has been deafening on this site. I attribute most of that to the fact that M17S owners have been really happy with their bullpups and are just busy shooting them without issue (unlike the drama on the MDR site) which is totally understandable. I will check out those suppressors and see what works for me. Again, thanks for the input.
SkirmishAblated

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 11:43:23 PM »

The sound of crickets has been deafening on this site. I attribute most of that to the fact that M17S owners have been really happy with their bullpups and are just busy shooting them without issue (unlike the drama on the MDR site) which is totally understandable.

Desert, this has indeed been the case with me.

I received my 20" .308 M17S from Ken a while back, and have been enjoying it ever since. My opinion? It's a phenomenal weapon. The only issue I've experienced with it was due to operator error: I was manipulating the charging handle incorrectly by 'following' the bolt forward, rather than simply letting it go (the charging handle is stiff due to use of a heavy spring, but with technique and use this resolves almost entirely). This was causing a failure to chamber a round. Once I recognized it was my own fault, I adjusted my behavior, and - surprise, surprise! - the weapon performed flawlessly from then on.

At 100 yards I have gotten 2" groups of three to five shots with target ammo (American Eagle 150g), and 1" groups with match ammo. I do not consider myself to be an excellent shot by any stretch.

Without adjusting the gas settings, this rifle has managed to eat through several boxes of Hornady 168g Superformance ammo. This stuff has gained a reputation for being difficult for semi-autos to cycle properly, as the peak of the pressure curve is supposedly extended in duration, thanks to a proprietary blend of Hornady powders. Needless to say, it's hot stuff, and again, proclaimed to be 'best suited for bolt guns'. Didn't even hiccup in my M17S (although it does pack quite a punch).

Recoil is quite manageable for a .308 semi-auto. I would characterize it as better than average. I'm planning to swap the stock A2 birdcage for an EFAB hybrid brake from Precision Armament. This will mark the 10th attachment/upgrade I've made for this rifle, the others being:

1.) Magpul SR25 Mags
2.) Magpul MIAD grip
3.) Magpul RVG
4.) Magpul QD mounting point
5.) Magpul MS4 sling (yes, I like Magpul stuff)
6.) Kydex cheek rest
7.) Geissele Super Precision scope mount
8.) Primary Arms 1-8x ACSS scope
9.) Aim Assist scope lever

All-told, including a full 25-round mag of 150g ammo (but excluding the sling), my rifle weighs 12 lbs, 10 oz. While heavy on paper, the superb balance of the weapon allows me to shoulder it one-handed for a greater period of time than I could with a much lighter AR15.

The trigger is absolutely terrific. Very tight, crisp, and light. Probably this weapon's best feature.

On top of all this, Ken's customer service has been impeccable. He has responded to all my questions, no matter how trivial, and has given me same-day responses the majority of the time.

To reiterate, this is a fantastic rifle. It's reliable, accurate, simple, robust, and well thought out. Among my other considerations were a SCAR 17S and an MDR. I am very happy with my decision.

*EDIT: I should point out, given the context of this thread, that I have not shot it suppressed.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:24:17 PM by SkirmishAblated » Logged
Desert Kraut

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 12:52:57 PM »

Sounds like you are as happy and excited with your M17S as I am. I had the opportunity to get the .308 with the same serial # as my 5.56, but unfortunately I didn't have that kind of discretionary funds available at the time. I am now saving my pennies toward that end. Happy shooting.
michaeljager

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 06:24:50 PM »

Good mini-review, thank you Skirmish!

Really want one and I may have enough by the end of the year but if I do buy one, Itll sit without ammo and optic for quite a while... but at least Ill have one...

Also interested in suppressor feedback as that is a someday possibility, but for now I would feel fortunate just to get the rifle.

Just got a Bond Arms Bullpup for the wife for Xmas and shot it yesterday, love it, but Im not terribly accurate with it yet.
Thats why set back the funds and that may be the extent of this year's firearms budget.

Kel Tec KSG
Springfield XDM 9mm 4.5"
Steyr S9-A1
1942 USSR Mosin Nagant
tmckay2

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 10:57:46 AM »

I'm curious about suppressing it as well and also how easy is it to adjust the gas settings?
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length