Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 07:00:33 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Tried and true versus new and innovative. AUG vs. RDB
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Tried and true versus new and innovative. AUG vs. RDB  (Read 1983 times)
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 03:53:33 PM »

I know some people would argue against AUG mags just because the AR mags are more prolific here, but they are just awesome looking and still extremely functional.
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 03:33:41 AM »

So, with some time to think it over, I'll be going with the AUG. I do love the RDB, but like how I treated the KSG, I'm gonna wait a few years to really let the design settle into itself. Plus, I'd rather throw as much faith into the design as possible.

Since I'll be going with the 3x optic, there really won't be much that I'll have to get. At most, I'd probably get a replacement charging handle, a weapon light, and I'd have to figure out whether I'll pick up OD or Mud.
Snapperhead363
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 04:11:53 AM »

There's nothing wrong with an AUG. Like you said, If you like the mags (and I do) roll with it.

NRA Life Member   Bullpup Fanatic Glock Armorer  Owner of Homeland Guns.1-740-820-GUNS
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 05:57:21 PM »

Would anyone happen to know what the disassembled length of the AUG body is? I'll be picking up the 16" barreled model, and I think I'll be picking up a backpack for transporting it around.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 09:01:54 PM »

So, with some time to think it over, I'll be going with the AUG. I do love the RDB, but like how I treated the KSG, I'm gonna wait a few years to really let the design settle into itself. Plus, I'd rather throw as much faith into the design as possible.

Since I'll be going with the 3x optic, there really won't be much that I'll have to get. At most, I'd probably get a replacement charging handle, a weapon light, and I'd have to figure out whether I'll pick up OD or Mud.

Since you want an optic, I would suggest not going with the Steyr optic; it is good, but it is really a 1970s concept with twice the magnification of the original, and lacks many of the features that are common on optics today.  The charging handle is more personal preference; I never had a problem with the stock one that came on my AUGs.  Finally, if you want to use AR mags, you have two options:  A Steyr NATO stock, which Steyr treats as sort of a forgotten child as it hasn't been changed since it was first designed, and the MSAR "E4" stock.  The E4 stock comes in two styles, early and late, and both have their plusses and minues. 

Early stocks are generally finished with the mold/joining lines ground off like the Steyr stocks offer, i.e. the way it is supposed to be done.  The drawback is that they have mounting points for 1913 rail sections and the helicoils that are embedded into the polymer have been known to work their way out or simply strip out completely.  The late version of the stock was produced for a year or two before MSAR finally took the dirt nap it deserved.  The minus of this is that they never ground off the mold/joining lines where the two halves of the stock were joined together.  When I questioned them about this, they claimed that the consumers "wanted it that way".  Odd...how could they want something that was never offered and that most never knew existed?  The big plus, though, is that the used a different method for securing 1913 rail to the stock and used bushings that were part of a backplate that was secured to the inside of the stock.  Rock solid. 

Both stocks offered last round bolt hold open with bolt release, and used the AUG pattern mag release.

Kurt
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2017, 10:59:12 PM »

Since you want an optic, I would suggest not going with the Steyr optic; it is good, but it is really a 1970s concept with twice the magnification of the original, and lacks many of the features that are common on optics today.  The charging handle is more personal preference; I never had a problem with the stock one that came on my AUGs.  Finally, if you want to use AR mags, you have two options:  A Steyr NATO stock, which Steyr treats as sort of a forgotten child as it hasn't been changed since it was first designed, and the MSAR "E4" stock.  The E4 stock comes in two styles, early and late, and both have their plusses and minues. 

Early stocks are generally finished with the mold/joining lines ground off like the Steyr stocks offer, i.e. the way it is supposed to be done.  The drawback is that they have mounting points for 1913 rail sections and the helicoils that are embedded into the polymer have been known to work their way out or simply strip out completely.  The late version of the stock was produced for a year or two before MSAR finally took the dirt nap it deserved.  The minus of this is that they never ground off the mold/joining lines where the two halves of the stock were joined together.  When I questioned them about this, they claimed that the consumers "wanted it that way".  Odd...how could they want something that was never offered and that most never knew existed?  The big plus, though, is that the used a different method for securing 1913 rail to the stock and used bushings that were part of a backplate that was secured to the inside of the stock.  Rock solid. 

Both stocks offered last round bolt hold open with bolt release, and used the AUG pattern mag release.

I'll be using the AUG mags, I have no investment in AR pattern mags so it boils down to what I'd prefer to use.

I do understand in regards to the optic, but at this point in time, I'm not worried about it. I'm sure I'll wind up replacing it in the long run, but I would like to have one of the integrated optics for now.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2017, 11:30:35 PM »

I'll be using the AUG mags, I have no investment in AR pattern mags so it boils down to what I'd prefer to use.

I do understand in regards to the optic, but at this point in time, I'm not worried about it. I'm sure I'll wind up replacing it in the long run, but I would like to have one of the integrated optics for now.

Outstanding choice on the AUG mags.  IMO, they are hands down far superior to anything the AR platform offers.

The integrated optic on the AUG is something that, IIRC, bolts directly to the receiver, it isn't like an AR with a 1913 rail that it attaches to, so there is that additional cost/hassle to consider.

Kurt
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2017, 11:36:51 PM »

I'm aware about swapping out the integrated optic for the rail. I don't make a habit of swapping optics, and a replacement scope will be well into the future.
scstrain

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 03:16:14 PM »

I think the AUG is the correct choice.  I own both and I really do like the RDB and it's unique features.  However, when you strip both down you will see that the AUG is made like a tank while the RDB's parts seem made for less serious encounters.  I realize that this is part of what makes the RDB lighter, (A good Thing) and I love the bottom ejection but to me the internal parts do not look robust at all.

Please, I am not trashing the RDB.  I really like it, but if I could only have one or the other it would be the AUG hands down.
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2017, 05:03:07 PM »

I think the AUG is the correct choice.  I own both and I really do like the RDB and it's unique features.  However, when you strip both down you will see that the AUG is made like a tank while the RDB's parts seem made for less serious encounters.  I realize that this is part of what makes the RDB lighter, (A good Thing) and I love the bottom ejection but to me the internal parts do not look robust at all.

Please, I am not trashing the RDB.  I really like it, but if I could only have one or the other it would be the AUG hands down.

Yeah, that's what my sentiment has come down to on this. I'd still love to see a collaboration in regards to a Steyr made RDB that used the AUG mags to get the best of both designs.
7n6

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2017, 12:40:27 AM »

I have both pattern of the stocks, standard and NATO for each rifle. I like the standard more because of the bolt release. However they are all currently wearing NATO stocks only because I have AR's. All of mine also have the factory optics, which I don't mind owning as they are much like iron sights- basically very tough optics without need for batteries and such. I can mount some red dot style sights on top if needed but so far I haven't done so due to other priorities. 
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2017, 01:33:10 AM »

Yeah, I sorta want keep it simplistic when it comes to how I outfit this rifle, so the integrated scope fits the bill extremely well.
7n6

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2017, 02:58:48 PM »

Yeah, I sorta want keep it simplistic when it comes to how I outfit this rifle, so the integrated scope fits the bill extremely well.

You mentioned you don't have any AR mags- what are using as a carbine then?

Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2017, 03:07:47 PM »

You mentioned you don't have any AR mags- what are using as a carbine then?

Nothing at this moment. I've tried to step away from bullpups, but I just find the more traditional carbine profile rather uncomfortable. Nothing some serious time behind one can't fix, but I am more comfortable with bullpups.

I do have a single AR mag though, but it's an unused Daniel Defense mag I got for free at my LGS.
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2017, 06:06:53 AM »

Quick question to anyone that has the integrated AUG scope and wears corrective lenses, does the scope cause any issues with the sight picture? I've noticed that some people bring up that there isn't a focus on the scope, and some people have issues using them.

Just asking cause I'm visually impaired as well.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2017, 04:17:22 PM »

Quick question to anyone that has the integrated AUG scope and wears corrective lenses, does the scope cause any issues with the sight picture? I've noticed that some people bring up that there isn't a focus on the scope, and some people have issues using them.

Just asking cause I'm visually impaired as well.

In my opinion, you should get a railed version and slap something like a Trijicon accupower 1-4x   optic on it, the optical quality will be much much better.
FWIW, I wear glasses, and red dots look fuzzy for me unless it is sunny outside.  Variable powder scopes are all I rock now and I could not be happier.  1-4 scopes for the mo fkin win!

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2017, 04:22:46 PM »

In my opinion, you should get a railed version and slap something like a Trijicon accupower 1-4x   optic on it, the optical quality will be much much better.
FWIW, I wear glasses, and red dots look fuzzy for me unless it is sunny outside.  Variable powder scopes are all I rock now and I could not be happier.  1-4 scopes for the mo fkin win!

I do like the AccuPower, but I love the integrated optic set up. It's one of the many reasons I want an AUG.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2017, 04:46:46 PM »

I do like the AccuPower, but I love the integrated optic set up. It's one of the many reasons I want an AUG.

Are you trying to get the donut reticle?

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2017, 04:58:09 PM »

It's one thing I like about the Steyr optic, but it isn't the reason I'm wanting one. Why do you ask?
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2017, 05:49:47 PM »

It's one thing I like about the Steyr optic, but it isn't the reason I'm wanting one. Why do you ask?

Well you mentioned you wanted to do a lot of target shooting if I recall correctly, if that is the case I personally don't know that the donut reticle would give you the type of accuracy you are looking for, but I could be mistaken.  If I recall correctly I think it is like a 8moa circle or something like that designed to encirlce a man sized target at 250 yards or so.  I don't know much about it so others please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

-Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length