Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 06:58:50 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Most reliable bullpup shotgun for home defense
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Most reliable bullpup shotgun for home defense  (Read 940 times)
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: September 14, 2017, 01:42:38 AM »

Hey all, this question is specifically about serious use, home defense type situations. Some heroin junking breaks into my home at 3am (does happen in my area), and I am forced to use lethal force to stop a lethal threat. So reliability is my primary concern.

I do have a Mossberg 500, but after doing some drills at home, I dislike its length and front heaviness. I am looking for a bullpup shotgun alternative.

I have heard about the KSG, the Mossberg Bullpup Unlimited, and other options. But some are criticized as being unreliable, or prone to malfunction, whether user error or design issue. I need something that I can count on working. My Mossberg in its stock configuration is absolutely reliable, but it's size makes it hard to handle down stairways and tight hallways.  Google searching has come up lacking, as most reviews talk about other interests rather than serious, reliable home defense use.

What do you guys recommend?
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 02:10:08 AM »

Of the ones out, I personally think the KSG is the most practical of them. It's the most compact, and my own has been 100% functional. Plus, the KSG is known to run the Aguilla Minishells excellently, which bumps up the capacity to 24+1 in the chamber.

I personally don't care for the excessive amount of polymer on the UTS-15, and the one I got to handle was less than reliable, but they've been improved from what I hear.

The DP-12 seems a bit hoaky, and overly heavy for practical usage. I also don't care for the double tap then pump set up

Overall, they should all run just fine. I'd always suggest taking a look at them in person if you can.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 02:14:08 AM by Clarke-Sensei » Logged
INV136

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 10:29:30 AM »

When I first read about the KSG, the UTAS 12, and the SRM 1216 I was intrigued by them. After waiting over a year for the KSG and reading about the ones that were finally released I was not impressed. Also, I waited a year and a half for the KelTec RFB and was not impressed at the cheap quality and the issues that I had with that rifle. I later read the disappointing reviews on the UTAS 1 and gave up the idea of getting one of them. Then I finally saw Hickok45 do a review of the SRM 1216 semi-auto 12 ga. shotgun with rotating magazine cylinder shotgun and he had several jams after he sent the shotgun back to the factory to "fix" the jamming problem.

I read the articles on the new Mossberg Shockwave shotgun and it looked interesting. Then I read that Remington also came out with their own Shockwave shotgun, the 870 Tac 14. I've always thought the Remington shotgun was a better quality shotgun than any Mossberg and am considering maybe getting one. They retail about $400 (I've seen them for under $400 on various internet sites) and I'd change the pump grip out for a Surefire weapon light pump grip, add a side saddle shot shell holder on the side with a top rail for either an EoTech Holosight or a green laser sight, and a set of sling swivels with a sling/shot shell holder.
https://www.remington.com/other-products/model-870-tac-14
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 12:25:52 PM »

I have an aversion to cheap plastic breaking and causing me to potentially destroy my left hand, so the KSG is binned for me.  The DP12 has potential, though I'm not keen on the "double shotgun" idea; I thin kit would sell like crazy if it was sliced in half along the centerline and turned into a single barreled shotgun.  That said, I am waiting for their bullpup semi-auto, the SKO-Bull, to be released.  http://www.stdgun.com/sko-bull/

Kurt
Heavy

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 12:38:13 PM »

Im still dreaming of the aeroknox d12, uzkon ung12, and an integrally supressed crye six12. Sigh.....the waiting is the hardest part.

* 1168420_1163448760347118_980835881_n.jpg (105.38 KB, 523x471 - viewed 37 times.)

* 885270.jpg (224.15 KB, 900x675 - viewed 43 times.)

* 147585383685-708x349.jpg (71.85 KB, 708x349 - viewed 36 times.)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:40:46 PM by Heavy » Logged
EWTHeckman
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 12:54:10 PM »

an integrally supressed crye six12.

For home defense, heck yeah!

But people keep thinking the delays that bedeviled the MDR were unusual. All of these seem to be facing the same struggles.
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 01:42:53 PM »

It seems like options are limited. I have heard bad stories about the KSG having trouble when racking the slide sometimes. Like it doesn't always cycle properly. I have heard bad things about Keltec products. And while I am a very big fan of one of their newer rifles, I am still unwilling to depend my life on any of their products.   

I'm not looking for a range toy. I'm going to keep this shotgun next to my bed at night in case I need to deal with an intruder.  We have numerous break-ins in my town every year and my previous rental place was burglarized a few years ago. Heroin is a huge problem in my area, so it's a legitimate concern.

I was reading about the Bullpup Unlimited Mossberg 500 adaptor kit last night, but the quality seems questionable. The plastic looks weak and I'm not sure how reliably the system works.  I doubt I am going to need more than 5 or so shots if I do have to deal with a confrontation, but you never do know and so more capacity is always welcome. Still, with this scenario in mind, my main criteria is smooth functioning reliability.

MattyGuns

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 11:06:33 PM »

If you want a bullpup shotgun,  I'd say KSG.  if you just need a shorter shotgun, then I highly suggest the Mossberg shockwave. Handles quicker than it's bigger brother, points naturally  (for me anyway) and still holds five rounds of hate, or spend another $15, get the adaptor, and run the mini shells. If i rember right it holds 12 minis. That's only 2 less than the KSG, and the shockwave is half the price of a KSG. Thats my two cents anyways
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 01:42:17 PM »

If you want a bullpup shotgun,  I'd say KSG.  if you just need a shorter shotgun, then I highly suggest the Mossberg shockwave. Handles quicker than it's bigger brother, points naturally  (for me anyway) and still holds five rounds of hate, or spend another $15, get the adaptor, and run the mini shells. If i rember right it holds 12 minis. That's only 2 less than the KSG, and the shockwave is half the price of a KSG. Thats my two cents anyways

Pistolgrip shotguns are range toys.  The goal is you actually want to be able to hit your target accurately and effectively if you have to shoot, and not have your pellets going everywhere but the target.  Ian and Karl did a rather convincing video on this a couple months ago.

https://youtu.be/tYjThckYqBQ

Kurt
MattyGuns

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 02:40:28 PM »

Please explain to me what makes a pistol grip shot gun a range toy over a KSG? They are both tools, and they are both tools that can defend ones home very effectivly.
EWTHeckman
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 04:00:54 PM »

Please explain to me what makes a pistol grip shot gun a range toy over a KSG? They are both tools, and they are both tools that can defend ones home very effectivly.

I suggest you watch the video Kurt linked to. That doesn't just tell you, it shows you.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 04:06:13 PM »

I suggest you watch the video Kurt linked to. That doesn't just tell you, it shows you.

This.

Kurt
MattyGuns

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 12:39:23 PM »

Watched the video. They have some valid points.
Kaahtt

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 07:33:02 PM »

You already have a mossy, so I'd suggest you pick up a bullpup unlimited kit. Its fun to shoot, inexpensive, and pretty tough. Yeah the plastic looks thin, but its glass filled polymer--just as brittle as a glock. BPU put out a video where they threw the stock off their building, then ran it over with a truck and it was no worse for wear.

I've taken mine skeet shooting and it was a blast. Of course, I got a lot of flack from the old timers for having a ridiculously painted spacegun, but it was worth it. (Its under the bullpup unlimited forum "bandit 870")

Ive shot the keltec ksg and I'm really not a fan. Its light, so it kicks like a mule, and without a handstop or vertical grip, you are likely to accidentally your hand.

kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 01:02:57 AM »

You already have a mossy, so I'd suggest you pick up a bullpup unlimited kit. Its fun to shoot, inexpensive, and pretty tough. Yeah the plastic looks thin, but its glass filled polymer--just as brittle as a glock. BPU put out a video where they threw the stock off their building, then ran it over with a truck and it was no worse for wear.

;-)

Kurt
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 02:06:24 AM »

I've taken mine skeet shooting and it was a blast. Of course, I got a lot of flack from the old timers for having a ridiculously painted spacegun, but it was worth it. (Its under the bullpup unlimited forum "bandit 870")

Ive shot the keltec ksg and I'm really not a fan. Its light, so it kicks like a mule, and without a handstop or vertical grip, you are likely to accidentally your hand.

I always found the BPU concept lacking to be honest. Thought about it when I was looking for a scatterpup, but I decided that the best scatterpup options were ones built as bullpups from their inception.

Sure as hell don't regret picking up my KSG. It's a bit shy of a pound lighter than a BPU'd 870 , which isn't much since you can balance out with the extra rounds held in the second mag tube and accessories. I also don't care for a polymer top rail, and even went out of my own way to get a rail cover for the pump, just because I like metal rails.

It sure kicks, but my father's 870 Wingmaster beats my shoulder much quicker than my KSG. The only way you are gonna blow your hand off is if you pump it like a spastic idiot.

Would you link that video though? I'd be hesitant to believe something like that, especially when it is from the manufacturer.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:10:29 AM by Clarke-Sensei » Logged
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 07:58:29 PM »

Sure as hell don't regret picking up my KSG. It's a bit shy of a pound lighter than a BPU'd 870 , which isn't much since you can balance out with the extra rounds held in the second mag tube and accessories. I also don't care for a polymer top rail, and even went out of my own way to get a rail cover for the pump, just because I like metal rails.

It sure kicks, but my father's 870 Wingmaster beats my shoulder much quicker than my KSG. The only way you are gonna blow your hand off is if you pump it like a spastic idiot.

No.  The bottom rail has been known to break or hands have slipped.  It has happened enough that when I searched for "KSG Hand Injury", Google had no trouble returning hits.

https://www.google.com/search?q=KSG+hand+injury&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Kurt
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length