Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2017, 04:34:48 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  IWI to cease Tavor SAR production.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: IWI to cease Tavor SAR production.  (Read 1734 times)
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 08:18:04 PM »

A Tavor in 7.62 x 39 would be pretty sweet in my book and better ballistics to the 556

Well the problem is for the Tavor to take AK mags would be a huge redesign, and there aren't many AR style mags that are known for reliably feeding 7.62x39.   Since IWI makes a Tavor in 300BLK that can be reliably fed while maintaining similar ballistics to 7.62x39, I highly doubt they see any need for it.

In regards to the caliber being more effective.. I think it's really apples and oranges.

In terms of energy generated from a 16'' barrel yes 7.62x39 generates more energy... but

In regards to trajectory 5.56 shoots flatter, and is more accurate than 7.62x39 by a huge margin.

Each caliber has an edge is one regard.   x39 has better barrier penetration, and 223 has a flatter trajectory.  So I have a hard time saying one is superior to the other in every regard, it's really apples and oranges.

With all that said, I have thousands of rounds of both calibers.  I prefer 5.56 right now because I can hand load bonded ammo for 20-25 cents per round  Grin ... But I have no intention of ever getting rid of my AK's or the thousands of rounds of laquer coated and sealed 7.62x39 ammo sitting in my closet...  Still have some sealed spam cans too  Grin
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 08:40:43 PM by RabbitSlayer » Logged
Beach Bill

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 09:16:15 PM »

I am another who is not surprised by IWI's decision to phase out production of the original Tavor. Disappointed, but not surprised. I am glad that have my three Tavors. My only concern is IWI continuing to offer repair/replacement parts for the Tavor. That will not be a problem in the near-term.

The X95 offers a number of worthwhile improvements over the Tavor, especially for those shooters making the transition from an AR platform. I could see an X95 sometime in my future.

Regarding the Tavor 7, I am pleased to see IWI offering this 308 to those who are interested. Like RabbitSlayer and several others have said, I am not sufficiently convinced about buying a Tavor 7 without seeing it deployed in some military units (and preferably in the IDF). I will wait and see. My PWS 308 is doing a good job filling that role time for the time being.

Mission accomplished, original Tavor. Job well done.
Tvfreakarms

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 08:20:10 AM »

Supposedly an active Israeli soldier who is on a FB group said, it seems the tavor 7 is just for the civilian market

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

PattonWasRight

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 11:06:29 AM »

It's just the progression of things

That said, look at what Gen 1 Glocks are selling for ... thousands of dollars.

I for one embrace owning the "original" battle rifle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just Your Average Jewish Redneck.
unkashawn

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 11:23:48 AM »

Perhaps the original SAR will increase in resale value similar to the FS2000 when FN discontinued importing that rifle. Regardless, I prefer the original SAR and will clutch tightly onto mine. Smiley
beast556

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 01:19:02 PM »

That sucks, I will never part with my tavor sar. Hope we will still be able to get spare parts. 
PattonWasRight

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 02:16:47 PM »

That sucks, I will never part with my tavor sar. Hope we will still be able to get spare parts. 
They do sell a spare parts kit on their website, I have one and suggest getting one for peace of mind. $50ish IIRC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PattonWasRight

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »

Spare nuts & bolts https://iwi.us/product/tavor-sar-screwsnutswashers-pack/

The one you definitely want https://iwi.us/product/tavor-singledouble-ejector-bolt-parts-kit-5-56-nato/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
madmike262

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 03:00:58 PM »

Hope you will still be able to get parts.
PattonWasRight

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 03:01:47 PM »

Hope you will still be able to get parts.
See immediately above

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Richard W.

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 03:26:28 PM »

Maybe this will help the SAR resale market.

Not looking to sell mine in my lifetime, though.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2017, 04:31:41 PM »

Personally I prefer the x95 ...
However, I think the SAR has a more reliable mag release.

I think IWI is making a huge mistake by stopping production of SAR... Styer still makes old school Augs, and people still buy them.

I think SAR sales would be at least double Tavor 7 sales.  Sure the 308 Tavor might have many sales for the first year, but in the long run more people shoot 5.56 and SAR sales would be profoundly higher than Tavor 7 sales.  Also, if the Tavor 7 is only for civilian market, hardly anyone is going to want it.
BigDave76

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2017, 04:41:13 PM »

I think IWI is making a huge mistake by stopping production of SAR... Styer still makes old school Augs, and people still buy them.

I think SAR sales would be at least double Tavor 7 sales.  Sure the 308 Tavor might have many sales for the first year, but in the long run more people shoot 5.56 and SAR sales would be profoundly higher than Tavor 7 sales.  Also, if the Tavor 7 is only for civilian market, hardly anyone is going to want it.

Something they may do... as they have done with the X95, is offer multiple calibers for the Tavor7. X95 is supposed to stand for 9mm, 5.56, (5.45 hope) but they still went ahead and made a 300 blackout system for it.

I think IWI is trying to compete against the MDR. There are a lot of similar features between the 2. Just as the MDR features mag release similarities with the Tavors, the Tavor7 is looking to have a similar charging system where you can lock the bolt back HK style. So if they're willing to "copy" that feature, they're also likely wanting to copy the promised features of the MDR, which is multi-caliber.

The MDR has a .308 magwell, so to fit in 5.56/300 or 9mm your magwell is already large enough and you can then just put a well insert in there. The current Tavors cannot do .308, because their mag wells are not large enough. With the Tavor7, though, it will have a .308 magwell, and likely be able to take a 5.56/300/9 barrel in the future alongside of a magwell insert.

Honestly I think they're making a great contender to the MDR here with the Tavor7. Especially if it sells for cheaper than an MDR.
Tvfreakarms

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2017, 02:52:34 PM »

Something they may do... as they have done with the X95, is offer multiple calibers for the Tavor7. X95 is supposed to stand for 9mm, 5.56, (5.45 hope) but they still went ahead and made a 300 blackout system for it.

I think IWI is trying to compete against the MDR. There are a lot of similar features between the 2. Just as the MDR features mag release similarities with the Tavors, the Tavor7 is looking to have a similar charging system where you can lock the bolt back HK style. So if they're willing to "copy" that feature, they're also likely wanting to copy the promised features of the MDR, which is multi-caliber.

The MDR has a .308 magwell, so to fit in 5.56/300 or 9mm your magwell is already large enough and you can then just put a well insert in there. The current Tavors cannot do .308, because their mag wells are not large enough. With the Tavor7, though, it will have a .308 magwell, and likely be able to take a 5.56/300/9 barrel in the future alongside of a magwell insert.

Honestly I think they're making a great contender to the MDR here with the Tavor7. Especially if it sells for cheaper than an MDR.
Makes sense for them to do what MDR is doing.
That way if people want to shot 556 out of their tavor 7, or smaller calibers,  all u need is the kit and magwell insert to accommodate for the smaller magwell.

You might be right for sure.  I didn't think about.
Very solid point

Tvfreakarms

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2017, 02:53:27 PM »

Spare nuts & bolts https://iwi.us/product/tavor-sar-screwsnutswashers-pack/

The one you definitely want https://iwi.us/product/tavor-singledouble-ejector-bolt-parts-kit-5-56-nato/
What other spare parts do u suggest?
Or are these about it,  other than a spare barrel if one shoots out the other

tavor hollow

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2017, 04:40:20 AM »

Screw iwi they are ****'s.

*** WARNING Issued!  This will not be tolerated.  ***
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:52:58 AM by Sgt_P » Logged
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2017, 05:20:09 AM »

I think that is the last thing they would be, plus I'm sure they'll still support it to a degree, but they want to move onto other things. If you are really so distraught by it, buy spare parts that may not remain in production.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:53:31 AM by Sgt_P » Logged
Leonitus

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2017, 06:57:17 AM »

How did you come up with this "intelligent response"?

Seems you are a bit butt hurt over the decision to drop the SAR line? It's happened with many weapons over the years. Look at the M1 Garand. Been out of military production for decades, still VERY strong with support.

Seems you're trolling just to stir a bucket. Why not actually contribute with some useful conversation?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:53:59 AM by Sgt_P » Logged
tavor hollow

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2017, 07:29:13 AM »

I believe they are turning their back on the customers. I didn't have to think very hard to come up with the worst thing to call them to show my displeasure. Besides I'm ***** we get called **** everyday.I'm pissed at iwi ill get over it but not now.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:54:52 AM by Sgt_P » Logged
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2017, 07:40:25 AM »

I believe they are turning their back on the customers. I didn't have to think very hard to come up with the worst thing to call them to show my displeasure. Besides I'm ***** we get called **** everyday.I'm pissed at iwi ill get over it but not now.

You may believe that, but there was a decent reason they came out with the X-95 and are replacing the SAR. It is an easier transition for AR enthusiasts to embrace bullpups. You make it sound like the guys at IWI kicked your dog and burnt up your truck, but all they are doing is trimming their production line to make space for a new design.

And being ***** is a piss-poor reason to just blabber **** about things you disagree with.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:55:40 AM by Sgt_P » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length