Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2017, 04:30:03 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR
| | |-+  Bullpup Shoot
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bullpup Shoot  (Read 985 times)
50BMG
^

« on: September 11, 2017, 12:46:31 AM »

So, what's the scoop?  There is a report on AR15.com that the MDR suffered issues at the shoot..  https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Desert-Tech-MDR-IT-S-AUGUST-1ST-AND-THEY-SHIPPED-ONE-LAST-WEEK-AND-SAY-THEY-LL-SHIP-MORE-THIS-WEEK/43-454273/&page=33

Anyone else attend that can verify this?
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 01:07:54 AM »

I wasn't there, but I did find this video from LFD Research. 

https://youtu.be/Rf0UASv4b7I

Spoiler Alert:  There were no failures

Kurt
50BMG
^

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 01:12:15 AM »

Well what the hell is going on over at AR15 I wonder?  I'm at work and can't view youtube videos here, what does the video you linked show?
Box

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 01:14:54 AM »

That's not sounding good at all.
sampitt

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 01:57:22 AM »

Wonder what the gas setting was set to
Ditcher
^

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 09:50:33 AM »

So a few people are having the extractor ripping the head of the case off with soft case ammo.
Can anyone here with a MDR test this?
m796rider

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 11:57:08 AM »

So a few people are having the extractor ripping the head of the case off with soft case ammo.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with FGMM, which has been reported by other manufacturers (specifically KAC) as having brass that is too soft for semiauto use.
coldboremiracle

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 12:02:25 PM »

From my experience shooting several MDR's, the LC brass used in XM80 has worked fine. As did the Fiocchi green box 150fmj, and the Desert Tech Munitions  308 match.  The MDR can be a little aggressive on brass, but I haven't seen anything that I coudn't/wouldn't reload, Except for the occasional damaged case mouth or dent. (maybe 1 out of every 300 rnds?)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:06:21 PM by coldboremiracle » Logged

The first shot, is worth all the rest.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT

I work for Desert Tech, happy to help wherever I can.
newguy2k3

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 01:59:38 PM »

If I get home at a decent time today I have some fgmm 168 and 175 I want to try. I stuck and ripped a few rims on South African ball yesterday.

Running a surefire 762rc in suppressed setting.
The Heretic

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 08:40:27 AM »

I have a rifle (not an MDR) that does this with 5.56 GI ammo

This is generally - IMO - an indicator of the gas port being too large and/or the extraction starting too soon. So my guess would be they have the gas setting set too far open for that ammo. That is why I like rifles with adjustable gas ports.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 12:40:13 PM »

Given that Newguy is running his MDR suppressed, it could be that the rifle itself is running fine, but the increased backpressure and bolt velocity is a combination the brass can't handle reliably.

Kurt
newguy2k3

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 01:46:03 PM »

The primers look fine, a few pieces have a line down them from the ejection chute but nothing bad, overall the fired brass looks great. Except for the few that it decided to rips chunk of the rim out of.

Didn't get a chance to try fgmm yet.
Nomad07

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 02:23:12 PM »

The primers look fine, a few pieces have a line down them from the ejection chute but nothing bad, overall the fired brass looks great. Except for the few that it decided to rips chunk of the rim out of.

Didn't get a chance to try fgmm yet.

Other than tearing up some of the brass... is the rifle running great? No ftf, stove pipes etc? Im interested if it takes everything you throw at it and runs like a sewing machine....
newguy2k3

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 08:05:38 PM »

Honestly the damn thing is pretty awesome other than the ripped rims and resulting stuck cases. I need to put a gauge on it and measure weight and travel but the trigger on mine is disappointing. Probably around 5lbs but a lot of creep and travel, even on reset.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length