Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 11:44:31 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  Stronger recoil spring for suppressed Tavor
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Stronger recoil spring for suppressed Tavor  (Read 6712 times)
AZ-Chris

« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2018, 10:51:11 PM »

I experienced my first malfunction when shooting suppressed (using the stronger recoil spring and my GemTech Trek 5.56 can).  The malfunction was a stovepipe that prevented (mangled) the next round being fed into the chamber.  The stoppage could not be cleared by simply running the charging handle a few times . . . I had to drop the magazine, lock the bolt back, and reach inside to un-jam the spent case and badly bent new round.  Glad this was at the range.

Spent cases are still be rapidly/forcefully ejected in the 1 o'clock direction, making retrieval difficult.  Of the spent cases that were recovered, the usual denting in the cases shown in an earlier post were clearly evident.

While the replacement spring Art provided is a positive step in the right direction, I cannot rely on running my Tavor suppressed as a home defense option.  I require an even stronger recoil spring before I can rely on my Tavor to serve in the roll I intended it for.

SteveD

« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2018, 11:01:19 PM »

You could always try modifying the brass deflector or removing it completely. It sucks to have to do anything to make it function, but we can't do anything about it :\. I was just at the range today with the extra power spring and my brass was ejecting 4:00 to 4:30. Hopefully my jailed can can work with that later.
AZ-Chris

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2018, 11:43:47 PM »

I don't think the shell deflector had anything to do with the stovepipe . . .

The problem remains . . . the cyclic rate is just too fast when shooting suppressed.
SteveD

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2018, 12:06:35 AM »

I was under the impression some stove pipes caused by suppressed use was the cyclic rate is too high and violent with the gas, ejecting the casing so violently that it bounces off the shell deflector back into the weapon. If the problem is high cyclic rate (which I have no doubt it is with suppressed Tavors), the casing hitting the deflector is something that should be considered. Some users on the forum had stovepipes but upon removing their brass deflector, making it AUG-like, seemed to solve that problem.
AZ-Chris

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2018, 12:28:43 AM »

Perhaps I need to try removing the deflector, but I'm skeptical of this theory.

I will give this a try and report back.
SteveG75

« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2018, 12:33:19 AM »

I had the same problem with stovepipes with the stock recoil spring and the stock deflector. Removing the frame solved the problem in back to back testing. I then tried the angled Percival shell deflector and have not had a problem with that either so I have kept that installed.

My limited testing also leans to using a suppressor that creates less back pressure. My go to can for the Tavor is my Rugged Razor with 7.62 end cap. Couple of decibels more than my Rugged Surge but less gas.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:41:10 AM by SteveG75 » Logged
AZ-Chris

« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2018, 05:04:12 PM »

Just got back from the range -- shooting with and without the shell deflector as the only variable.  The Tavor has the stronger recoil spring and I'm using a GemTech Trek 5.56 thread-on suppressor.

With the deflector in-place, cases eject consistently at 1 o'clock and clearly show dented cases.  I experienced another stove pipe, though it was fairly easily cleared.

Without the deflector, cases eject at 3 o'clock (nearly all cases are retrievable) but NO denting (though some scratches) on spent cases.  Unfortunately, I did experience another stove pipe, though it was easily cleared.

I think I will try out the Percival Armaments Angled Shell Deflector to see if it helps, but the real problem here is the overly gassed system and high bolt speed.
SteveD

« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2018, 07:30:56 PM »

That's unfortunate. I would go to the extremes of even drilling a small hole in the gas block...but that's just me hehe. Sucks to even have to consider such great lengths. I've seen them suppressed; I guess they drilled your gas port a tad bit too big on your rifle.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length