Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 09:30:13 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Does your AUG do well with steel cased ammo?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Does your AUG do well with steel cased ammo?  (Read 1212 times)
7n6

« on: August 26, 2017, 09:55:22 AM »

Just wanted to see if anyone is running steel cased ammo through their AUG's. To find out if there are any issues etc. I have several spare barrels and was wanting to shoot up some steel cased ammo I have. I know steel is harder on barrels- which if anything, the AUG being able to swap barrels easily would be fine. Basically dedicate one barrel to steel cased ammo until it's all gone.

Thanks,

7n6
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:31:56 AM by 7n6 » Logged
Halmbarte

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 01:08:11 PM »

Mine does fine. Brown Bear and Barnaul work 100%, Tula has required setting the gas regulator to adverse.

I typically shoot 2-3 mags full of steel for close range practice than switch to my brass case shooting match ammo. I haven't noticed any affect after a couple thousand rounds of this.

Barrels are expendable, expect to replace them if you shoot enough.

H
Snapperhead363
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 04:28:24 PM »

I did have problems with an A3 feeding Steel cased ammo before. It would run brass cased 100%

NRA Life Member   Bullpup Fanatic Glock Armorer  Owner of Homeland Guns.1-740-820-GUNS
ttarp

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 06:46:42 PM »

I haven't shot much steel cased ammo through my A3, but other than having to use the "dirty" setting on the gas system, it was business as usual.  Now that I think about it though, I believe I shot a mags worth of steel cased ammo a couple of months ago and used the standard setting.
xdmikey

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 02:08:13 AM »

At the cost of an AUG barrel I'll leave the steel to my ARs.
DOWNS

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 09:48:41 PM »

I pretty much run steel case exclusivly unless I'm shooting a match that doesnt' allow it.  Haven't had any issues with most of it.  Brown Bear and other ammo produced by Barnaul works great.  I had an issue with a batch of Wolf with stuck casings but I think that was an issue with that lot of ammo.  It's an older lot I had that was produced by Tula.  The newer WOLF lots made by Barnaul have been running great.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Hivedr.

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 11:19:04 PM »

SilverBear or GoldenBear work great in my AUGs. Wolf poly coated get stuck once the barrel gets hot. Both my AUGs are over 20 years old so can not speak to the newer U.S. Made AUGs and steel case ammo. Only thing I can say is I would not fire steel case underwater in either new or old AUGs.

Sorry that underwater thing is going to follow you 7n6.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:21:15 PM by Hivedr. » Logged
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 01:04:04 AM »

Steel case ammo rusts really fast from water.  I've seen it rust in a day or two.

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
maleante
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 06:28:00 PM »

I've shot thousands of steel cased rounds through AUG's. Nothing out of the ordinary beside tula/wolf/et al being junk ammo (but cheap).
mb60

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 08:43:03 AM »

Has anybody shot any Herters that Cabelas sells ? Iíve got a couple of boxes laying around somewhere.
Halmbarte

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 01:37:12 PM »

I usually use Brown Bear for close range practice, typically 60 to 90 rounds worth roughly monthly. Iíve been doing so for years.

The AUG has been utterly reliable with the steel case ammo. Shooting Tula requires the gas regulator set to adverse when itís colder out, which fixes the short stroking Iíve seen.

H
LazyEngineer

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 12:46:53 AM »

I don't because reloading is my other hobby, and I make ammo for a lot less than steel (as low as 10 cents a shot - if you know how to shop).  

As to steel, an AUG Should run it as well as any.  

Keep in mind steel casings require notable more energy to extract than brass .  Just drop in a fired steel casing and try cycling by hand if you doubt that.  It has been shown in multiple AR tests that steel increases extractor breakage rates, and metal erosion on the claw.  AUG isn't AR, But the AUG bolt isn't that different.  So if the increased risk of your gun going down and you having to replace the extractor is OK (and to many, it is), then the factory ammo savings is out there.  To me, it's not - not even close.  But Hell, I can't get too Smarmy - My AUG was back at the factory for 3 months to replace a broken pin(not ammo related - I don't think at least).

In my opinion - for a $2k exotic - not worth it.  Especially when brass is going for 24 cents, vs 20 cents for steel.  It's not like steel doubles your ammo budget - the savings is pretty trivial IMHO.  If it were 20 cent vs 50 cent ammo, then maybe - but it's not.  

And for that marginal savings you get less accurate ammo with a record of increased gun wear (some experience less than others) - in a gun worth 4X more than a basic AR, if cost savings were really important to you.  

On a final note - Anderson just released a report on TULA ammo, with the title that it didn't increase wear on the gun.  Problem there is the conclusions were total Bulls*** and didn't agree with their published data if you bother to read the white-wash of a report ("white wash" being the term used by the actual original author by the way, after marketing was done with it).  They had to decrease rate of fire, to help get the TULA firing test AR jams under control (kinda important).  And sure as s***, 2000 rounds in, the TULA broke their AR!, with the extractor snapping.  Meanwhile the brass fired control gun never broke - even though Anderson Machined their BCG so bad that a burr wrecked the gas rings in the brass firing gun - and it still worked with the brass ammo.

Everyone acts like a broken extractor is trivial.  No it's not - it means that gun is DOWN, until you break it down and green cloth repair it with a spare extractor.  When is that A-OK??  15 guys and an RSO with a timer staring at you trying to clear your locked up $2k wundergun ain't cool points either (seen it!)

If you do go for the meager cost savings of steel, a few tips:
1) Make damned sure you have multiple spare extractors
2) Clean your chamber vigorously, particularly if you are switching back to brass (brass after steel can lock up tight - seen it; 200 mile trip blown).  Try to do this while gun is hot. [ACTUALLY SINCE YOU WILL BE USING A DEDICATED BBL, THIS IS LESS IMPORTANT]
3) If AUG purpose/usage transitions to serious next week - seriously consider a preventative maintenance extractor replacement first - and fire at least 50 rounds of brass ammo to clear our your chamber and prove new extractor.  [CONSIDER A SPARE DEDICATED STEEL BCG AS WELL.]

Yes, I know there are people who shoot steel and it works.  There are people who smoke and don't get cancer.  There is a reason no serious agency on the planet Earth uses steel 5.56.  Not even BattleField Vegas.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 12:50:12 AM by LazyEngineer » Logged
Docduracoat

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 09:35:18 PM »

Lazy Engineer,
As usual, your post is well written
I agree with everything you said
You have a high end, expensive gun
Why run the worst, least accurate, dirty ammo through it?
I have put some Tula through mine and needed to use the adverse gas setting
Wolf Gold is going for .25 a round and is the most accurate brass plinking ammo
Donít get me wrong...I shoot lots of Walmart Tula .223 thru my beater AR with a slide fire stock
But why shoot junk through an Aug?
Itís not worth it
7n6

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 03:35:04 AM »

The reason for making sure steel cased ammo is good to go is because you never know what type of ammo you will find when needed. I have AK's have run tens of thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo- with the original components.
Docduracoat

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 08:00:40 AM »

7n6,
I agree that you should verify your Aug will shoot steel cases ammo
It is possible at times steel case may be the only ammo available
I found it interesting that  Tula needs the gas setting set to adverse
As a normal diet steel case ammo is the equivalent to junk fast food
LazyEngineer

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 11:51:42 PM »

The reason for making sure steel cased ammo is good to go is because you never know what type of ammo you will find when needed. I have AK's have run tens of thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo- with the original components.

I'm going to say "sorta, but probably not".  Steel cased 5.56 ammo in the US is sourced from one (1) country on the other side of the planet, that is on strained relations with the US.  Manufactured for the economy civilian market.  (not to be confused with steel cased 'X39 ammo, which is good to go stuff and military used - different animal). 

Meanwhile I can't begin to count how many brass 5.56 manufacturers there are, supplying commercially and to countless thousands of government agencies and police departments - ALL of whom use brass ammo, not steel. 

I'm pretty sure brass cased 5.56 is something that can be had.  Especially to those with the wherewithal to getting a $2000 exotic AUG, and already thoughtful on their supply chain.
DOWNS

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 08:39:07 AM »

Has anybody shot any Herters that Cabelas sells ? Iíve got a couple of boxes laying around somewhere.
I've had good experience with it. I wanna say it's made by Barnaul who makes the Bear line of ammo and manuf ammo for Wolf as well.  But would need to do more research to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length