Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 10:29:05 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Messed up my ankle... help??
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Messed up my ankle... help??  (Read 1028 times)
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: August 24, 2017, 08:02:06 PM »

Hey, so I got home from the gym a couple hours ago. Was doing upper body as well as leg presses and calf curls. I don't know what happened, but after I got home and was eating, my right ankle started to throb and hurt like all hell. On a 1 to 10 scale, it's probably a 3 or 4, but it's highly uncomfortable. It's throbbing right now. Any ideas?
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 08:08:26 PM »

Go to the ER and get it checked out.  You might have done soft tissue damage that is slowly getting worse the more you use it.  I've had ankle issues since high school because I didn't get it checked out.

Kurt
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 08:15:29 PM »

Good thinking. I'm gonna get myself together and go right now.
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 08:17:48 PM »

Always better to have it looked at.
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 08:30:35 PM »

Was there a particular point during your workout where you remember doing something that torqued it or otherwise hurt it? It's unusual that you would have sprained it and not known about it at the time. I've always heard a pop when I've sprained things badly and knew immediately what happened because it would hurt like crazy.

How heavy were you going on the leg press? That exercise can create a lot of shearing forces at the knees for one thing, which is why I prefer a closed-chain exercise like squats, but it can also do damage to your ankles. Same with calf raises. Sometimes your muscles may be able to handle a heavy weight, but your tendons and ligaments haven't caught up yet. So the key is to progress slowly. Not saying you weren't doing that--I'm just speaking from my own experience that I've torn things when I've tried to jump the weight up too quickly. I'm 31 and from sports, lifting, and martial arts I've pulled out my lower back probably 5 or 6 six times, torn ligaments in both ankles, torn MCL and ACL in the right knee, partially tore my right rotator cuff, and torn both my acromio-clavicular ligaments. So yeah, I know all about tearing things, unfortunately!

Best thing to do is to go the ER and have a doc check it out. See if you can get someone to drive you there--probably wouldn't be safe to drive yourself.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:39:27 PM by BellatorInvictus » Logged

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 09:12:24 PM »

Well, I've had about 15 broken bones in my life and many hospital trips. 

If it was broken, or you tore something, you would probably know.  One thing about body building is, you can grow your muscles all you want, but your ligaments and tendons will stay the same, as far as I am aware body builders usually end up hurting tendons or ligaments.

From my personal experience, hospital trips are expensive, I have never had a sprained ankle that required anything other than rest.  But sometimes it is better to get things checked out.  I injured my wrist in a fight a year ago, blew it off and never saw a doctor, to this day it still gives me pain, and I probably screwed myself for life by not seeing a doctor.  On the other hand I have probably been to the ER about 20 times when it was not needed in the end.   So, probably better off safe than sorry.  My advice would be avoid the ER fee's, and schedule a visit with a clinic, or go to a walk in clinic.  Waiting a day probably won't make a difference, and paying 20$ for a clinic fee vs a 2,000$ ER fee is a bit lighter on the wallet.

Hope you get feeling better bro.

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 09:41:00 PM »

If it was broken, or you tore something, you would probably know.  One thing about body building is, you can grow your muscles all you want, but your ligaments and tendons will stay the same, as far as I am aware body builders usually end up hurting tendons or ligaments.

From my personal experience, hospital trips are expensive, I have never had a sprained ankle that required anything other than rest.  But sometimes it is better to get things checked out.  I injured my wrist in a fight a year ago, blew it off and never saw a doctor, to this day it still gives me pain, and I probably screwed myself for life by not seeing a doctor.  On the other hand I have probably been to the ER about 20 times when it was not needed in the end.   So, probably better off safe than sorry.  My advice would be avoid the ER fee's, and schedule a visit with a clinic, or go to a walk in clinic.  Waiting a day probably won't make a difference, and paying 20$ for a clinic fee vs a 2,000$ ER fee is a bit lighter on the wallet.

That's a lot of broken bones! I haven't had one broken bone so far... but I do drink a gallon of milk a day for large parts of the year. Milk--it does a body good. For any vegans reading this, I hope you're offended.

That's true about the ER. Having insurance helps, but if he's out of pocket, then yeah, he should avoid that and just go to a clinic.

Tendons can definitely get stronger with heavy weight training, but it takes time.

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 05:03:56 AM »

That's a lot of broken bones! I haven't had one broken bone so far... but I do drink a gallon of milk a day for large parts of the year. Milk--it does a body good. For any vegans reading this, I hope you're offended.

That's true about the ER. Having insurance helps, but if he's out of pocket, then yeah, he should avoid that and just go to a clinic.

Tendons can definitely get stronger with heavy weight training, but it takes time.

Lol, extreme snowboarding when I was a teenager.  I can huck some gnarly flips bro.  Haha.  No better feeling than flying off a fat cliff or fat kicker into some deep powder.  There were s9me midair moments where i thought " oh **** I'm gunna die "  haha.
I don't do that stuff anymore though, too old!  Some of my friends still do, and I can't understand how their adult bodies can handle it! Grin

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 01:52:46 PM »

Okay, so I went to the ER last night and after a lengthy wait, the doc gave me an xray and examination. They said that nothing is broken or fractured. It's just a sprain of the joint. They told me to keep it elevated, iced and it should heal on its own. So hoping it does so soon; I like going places, lol.

As for how it happened. I didn't feel anything during the workout. It wasn't until I got home and was cooking some spaghetti that I noticed the pain. And that was after having my landlord come over to pay rent. So it was probably like an hour and a half after returning from the gym that I felt it. While in the gym, I wasn't doing a whole lot of weight. I've been traveling alot this month and have not had the time to workout or eat enough, so my muscles might have atrophied a little bit maybe, but it was low weight leg presses, but maybe my form and feet positioning wasn't perfect. I prefer doing squats myself, but I just didn't have time and was feeling lazy, so I used the leg press machine for convenience.

I feel like I need to strengthen my joints more. I focus alot on my major muscle groups, but I should probably do more wrist and ankle exercises maybe.
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 06:52:12 PM »

Well I'm glad it wasn't anything broken. Hmm that's interesting that you sprained it, but didn't know it at the time. I've always known when I've sprained things because I've always heard a nice loud "pop" as the ligament tore. It sounds like your sprain wasn't as severe, and that's maybe why you didn't notice it at the time.

After you heal enough, try doing some range of motion ankle and wrist rolls and stretches. Do the rolls lightly as warmups and then the stretches after working out. Sounds like you might have some tight joints and need to increase your flexibility. Ligaments don't get more flexible, but your tendons and muscles can, and if those are nice and supple, your chances of injury go way down overall.

Leg press is convenient, but yeah, your form has to be spot on. It may help to try not to let your knees and ankles go past 90 degrees when doing this exercise for a while. Ask somebody to check your form too. Any trainers at the gym you could ask for a quick tip?

BellatorInvictus

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 06:58:43 PM »

Lol, extreme snowboarding when I was a teenager.  I can huck some gnarly flips bro.  Haha.  No better feeling than flying off a fat cliff or fat kicker into some deep powder.  There were s9me midair moments where i thought " oh **** I'm gunna die "  haha.
I don't do that stuff anymore though, too old!  Some of my friends still do, and I can't understand how their adult bodies can handle it! Grin

Hell yeah man. I love snowboarding. Just moved back to PA from AZ so I'm hoping to finally get back into it next year. East coast snowboarding is nothing like out west though, I'm sure. I used to go regularly in high school, and yeah, wiping out is how I tore both of my shoulder ligaments on separate occasions. It wasn't even the more dangerous stuff--always something stupid where I just wasn't really paying attention--e.g. took a 180 off a mogul, caught the wrong edge and I end up tackling the ground, etc. Halfpipe is a lot of fun.

Snowboarding will keep you in mad shape though, that's for sure. Gotta love the inability to walk after the first day out during a new season.

7n6

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 10:04:33 PM »

Ottawa Ankle Rules. Google it. It will help you determine if bones in your ankle have been broken or if you have tendon damage.
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 01:28:26 PM »

Well I'm glad it wasn't anything broken. Hmm that's interesting that you sprained it, but didn't know it at the time. I've always known when I've sprained things because I've always heard a nice loud "pop" as the ligament tore. It sounds like your sprain wasn't as severe, and that's maybe why you didn't notice it at the time.

After you heal enough, try doing some range of motion ankle and wrist rolls and stretches. Do the rolls lightly as warmups and then the stretches after working out. Sounds like you might have some tight joints and need to increase your flexibility. Ligaments don't get more flexible, but your tendons and muscles can, and if those are nice and supple, your chances of injury go way down overall.

Leg press is convenient, but yeah, your form has to be spot on. It may help to try not to let your knees and ankles go past 90 degrees when doing this exercise for a while. Ask somebody to check your form too. Any trainers at the gym you could ask for a quick tip?

Yeah, there are trainers in my gym and they are plenty helpful. I will definitely need to be more conscious of my form next time.  I do have a question for you. I was always taught to drive from my heels when doing squats. I feel like maybe you should not do that when doing the leg press. Maybe I should use the balls of my feet more then?
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 04:04:25 PM »

Definitely--don't hesitate to ask one of the trainers for a quick tip.

As with the squat, I think your weight should be balanced between heel and toe, so you're not getting too much weight either on the heel or on the balls of your feet. I've heard about driving from your heels as well, and I think the reason this is said is to keep people focused on planting their feet flat and firm and not raising the heels up off the pressing platform, which some have a tendency to do. They want to extend their calves to help add force to the press, but that's not what leg press is for. You want to keep everything flat and solid and focus on those quads and glutes, as well as the hamstrings.

There's a book by Marc Rippetoe called Starting Strength--he has lots of anatomical drawings in there that are easy to understand and really help teach you the principles of perfect form for the various compound lifts. I started lifting years ago and made all kinds of mistakes, which lead to many injuries. After a while I wised up and said, OK, I really need to learn what I'm doing here. I had been doing bench press wrong for years, which was giving me shoulder impingement. Same with overhead press. I had balance problems with squats, and I totally avoided deadlifts because I had no idea how to do those properly. After researching all of this I was able to finally get the form down and I have no impingement issues anymore. I also was able to really start making progress in strength. So it definitely pays to use a good book and/or get someone who really knows their stuff to help you out and give tips for improvement.

CooperShooter

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 05:56:13 AM »

Okay, so I went to the ER last night and after a lengthy wait, the doc gave me an xray and examination. They said that nothing is broken or fractured. It's just a sprain of the joint. They told me to keep it elevated, iced and it should heal on its own. So hoping it does so soon; I like going places, lol.

As for how it happened. I didn't feel anything during the workout. It wasn't until I got home and was cooking some spaghetti that I noticed the pain. And that was after having my landlord come over to pay rent. So it was probably like an hour and a half after returning from the gym that I felt it. While in the gym, I wasn't doing a whole lot of weight. I've been traveling alot this month and have not had the time to workout or eat enough, so my muscles might have atrophied a little bit maybe, but it was low weight leg presses, but maybe my form and feet positioning wasn't perfect. I prefer doing squats myself, but I just didn't have time and was feeling lazy, so I used the leg press machine for convenience.

I feel like I need to strengthen my joints more. I focus alot on my major muscle groups, but I should probably do more wrist and ankle exercises maybe.

I'm glad that you're doing okay, man. That was such a scare, not knowing its cause at first.
Leonitus

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 08:49:20 PM »

Ankle injuries suck. You can recover 100% with time.

I broke mine in five places and severed my Achilles. Plate, six screws, some pins. It's fairly good now, except for arthritis setting in now. I'm 50, ran a Marathon in 2010.

Follow the Doc's orders, see a physical terrorist if you can, they help greatly
CooperShooter

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 03:00:23 AM »

I broke mine in five places and severed my Achilles. Plate, six screws, some pins. It's fairly good now, except for arthritis setting in now. I'm 50, ran a Marathon in 2010.

You are a true survivor, Leonitus. Broken in five places? I can't even imagine the amount of pain on that.
EWTHeckman
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 11:04:36 AM »

"Physical terrorist"

I am so stealing that!  Grin
Leonitus

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 10:25:05 PM »

You are a true survivor, Leonitus. Broken in five places? I can't even imagine the amount of pain on that.

Could have been worse.

OP

Ice and stretching will work wonders, Motrin is a good idea as well
CooperShooter

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 05:00:03 AM »

Ice and stretching will work wonders, Motrin is a good idea as well

Yup, taking it easy also does wonders.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length