Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2014, 12:16:11 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News: The 3rd Annual  BULLPUP CONVENTION                                              27 - 28 September, 2014                               Rockcastle Shooting Center, Park City, KY                              Saturday Manufacturers Showcase and Live Shoot                                Sunday The Bullpup Challenge                              See you there!!                

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
Brownells . . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . . . . . . . FFL123.com . . . carhartt . . . K & M Arms
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  All Other Bullpup Rifles
| | |-+  Bullpup DIY Builds
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bullpup DIY Builds  (Read 4853 times)
wbassett

« on: November 05, 2012, 01:55:21 PM »

Hey Sgt...  if this takes off maybe it should get a section of its own or something.

Okay-
Johnny9 and LKermit are just a couple members on here that make some pretty sweet pups from scratch and I am starting to dabble in it myself.  I was thinking that maybe it would be nice to have a thread or even a sub forum devoted to custom builds and home built pups.  People could share thier experiences and knowledge and even collaborate (I know LKermit and I talked about that).

For now though I guess a single thread will suffice, I just can see many topics that probably could be threads of their own, such as triggers.
Anyway for now here is my question, mainly directed to Johnny9 since he uses aluminum or some type of sheet metal for his rear stock assembly.    How do you bend the shape of the sheet metal?  I know you told me to start off with thin cardboard to get the shape right, but do you use a wood jig or something to actually bend the metal?  The one I want to do looks like a simple bend but it is angled so that makes it much more complicated, at least for me.

Any suggestions/tips would be great-  Pictures would be even better! Smiley
Sgt_P
Administrator
Bullpup Fanatic

SEMPER FIDELIS

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 02:31:30 PM »

Don't forget defcon's 22lr builds...

Great topic! 

"Retreat, hell we just got here!" 
Capt L Williams, USMC, WWI (Belleau Wood)
ZipSnipe

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 09:48:22 AM »

Well here is a pellet gun I did crossman 1077.

I plan to do a savage/stevens 87b tube fed magazine, just missed a mint conditioned one at the flea market $100.  I decided to go tube fed so I can do this style stock

* nicegt.jpg (97.9 KB, 800x600 - viewed 311 times.)

* 2715318.jpg (56.83 KB, 750x563 - viewed 272 times.)

* th.JPG (10.67 KB, 300x225 - viewed 333 times.)
Sgt_P
Administrator
Bullpup Fanatic

SEMPER FIDELIS

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 04:41:12 PM »

That first picture has a hell-of-a muzzle brake for an air rifle!!   Shocked

"Retreat, hell we just got here!" 
Capt L Williams, USMC, WWI (Belleau Wood)
wbassett

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 06:12:19 PM »

Yeah Sgt sorry I forgot defcon.  Him and Johnny9 are in a league all their own!  I wish I could buy some of their stocks!  They need to go commercial Smiley
ZipSnipe

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 12:52:52 AM »

Yeah I made that with a milling machine and lathe.  I wanted the airgun to have that badass look to it and to scare off any intruders until I could afford a real gun.

Lets put it this way, I don't bring my guns out in the front yard for fear of being surrounded by SWAT.
johnny9
Bullpup Fanatic

jack of all trades,master of none!

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 09:35:52 AM »

thanks for the kind words wbbasset Wink
i did everything by hand..i used a wheel barrel round handle for one build to get the shape in the alum,,the 16th thick alum i mostly used is easy to work with,and after it has its shape its very strong..
i wanna do a 223 bolt action next when money allows.. Cool

get r done
defcon

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 06:17:06 PM »

i do have plans to make a bolt action bullpup using my Savage MKII F and aluminum tubing.  this should be interesting
wbassett

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 11:07:30 AM »

Here is my latest DIY pup, it's the one on the bottom-

I don't know if that one counts though since it isn't totally from scratch.

Here are the custom Spikes I have been working on:

johnny9
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 11:11:36 PM »

the good to me 8)nice job!..i need a couple more 1022,s to fill the couple extra stocks someday..

get r done
wbassett

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 12:41:48 AM »

The P90 is actually a Mossberg 702 ($107 at Walmart).  The other one is a bit more of a heavy hitter- it's an SKS bullpup.
wbassett

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 09:02:13 AM »

Here's a question for johnny9-

I am looking at some metal working tools.  Habor Freight has some benders that aren't that expensive.  Are they worth getting and if so which one?
And what is the difference between a bending brake and a slip roll?

I'm just venturing into metal fab and I'm pretty sure I'll be comfortable doing 90 bends and basically making a box with no ends, but how do you get the nice rolls and angles for your designs?
wbassett

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 09:06:44 AM »

While I'm asking and we're on the topic of metal fab, when you get a chance would you, Defcon, and LKermit please list the tools you guys all use and any pertinant information such as model numbers, and things like that?  That is if you feel like sharing, I understand if some want to keep certain things to themself for business reasons.    I figure if we're going to try to get a DIY Bullpup Build section going a tools list would probably be a good idea. Smiley
johnny9
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 09:37:39 AM »

i dont use no bender or anything.."a slip roll" if what i think your talking about,,i made mine myself 20 yrs ago,and i only use it to roll rings for farm gates to latch to the posts..i have a 220 electric "roll"is what i call it,,it also has no use in the bullpup world lol..i use it to roll arches for ornamental gates and railing like on a balcony or driveway gate..
i go to the biggest scrap yard in a few hundred miles in my home town and look thru all the different shapes and stuff to get ideas like on the first 10-22 i did,and i used the last of the tube on this ishapore i just did"waiting on new bolt head to set head space"for this one.

i bend the shapes i like then lay against the gun and draw lines to get it all started..most of the time if thin alum i use tin snips..if thick i have a jig saw and a 1940 stand up band saw..and the main thing i ever use for alum is a chop saw with a carbide tipped wood blade..some think alum needs a speacial tool..that tool is called"edge"cutting and tapping compound in a stick like a tube of caulk..when useing a chop saw,i put the "edge"on the blade always before use..when grinding alum i use number 60 and 80   4 inch flap wheels..to make those wheels last and get your moneys worth you have to have"edge"to touch to the wheel before you gring the alum..makes the alum smooth and cuts down on wear to the wheel..i used this "edge"stuff on the jig saw,band saw and skill saw and anyting with a blade that i use for alum..
even if you use flap wheels to grind steel the "edge"stuff on the wheel every grind makes the wheel last longer and material look better afterwards..and goes much faster..
this prob didnt help much so i will get some pics today to share diff things for this thread..

i seem to do most things the hard way..like taking a sqaure tube and a piece of pipe and cutting both in half and welding back together and grinding smooth to look like one part Wink     

get r done
Gear Head
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 12:38:30 PM »

While I'm asking and we're on the topic of metal fab, when you get a chance would you, Defcon, and LKermit please list the tools you guys all use and any pertinant information such as model numbers, and things like that?  That is if you feel like sharing, I understand if some want to keep certain things to themself for business reasons.    I figure if we're going to try to get a DIY Bullpup Build section going a tools list would probably be a good idea. Smiley

While I applaud your enthusiasm tools cost a fortune. I still don't have everything I need to do what I want but I'll give you an idea of what I have already;

Bridgeport knee mill
Clausing lathe
220V Lincoln mig/tig welder
110V lincoln mig welder
Box brake
Diacro shear
spot welder
drill press
bench grinder
cutting torch
parts cleaner
hydraulic press
arbor press
band saw
grinder, drills, dremel, saws and other various power tools
don't forget tools for machine setup like calipers, micrometers, dial indicators etc
cutting tools for the mill and lathe
and boxes full of specialty tools and regular hand tools.

Don't let the list (and cost) scare you though. I just kept a mental list of things I wanted over the years and would pick something up when I found a good deal on it. Maybe by the time I die I will have everything I want but I doubt it...

Now all I need is time!

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.
wbassett

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 01:22:06 PM »

Quote from: Gear Head link=topic=1218.msg14317#msg14317
While I applaud your enthusiasm tools cost a fortune. [/quote
Ain't that the truth!

I wasn't talking about setting up a machine shop though.  I know others are bending sheet metal for the rear receiver covers and that's the part I am interested in learning how they do it and what they use.
Gear Head
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 11:52:39 AM »

Quote from: Gear Head link=topic=1218.msg14317#msg14317
While I applaud your enthusiasm tools cost a fortune. [/quote
Ain't that the truth!

I wasn't talking about setting up a machine shop though.  I know others are bending sheet metal for the rear receiver covers and that's the part I am interested in learning how they do it and what they use.

Well in order to bend sheet metal you also have to cut it, and drill holes that align properly to mount it, deburr them and often weld up edges.

I started with most of my stuff working on classic cars and restoring them so most of is sheet metal related. I only recently got the mill and lathe. If you want to go old school you can get some duckbill vise grips and a shot bag with different shape body hammers and dollies. You can make some nice shapes with just those things but a nice brake and shear helps a lot. I'm sure you can pick up an inexpensive brake at harbor freight or something. Instead of a big straight shear you can get a "beverly shear" which is capable of letting you cut curves much cleaner than any pair of snips can. I still need one of those myself.

So if anybody has a beverly shear or Rotex turret punch they want to let me have cheap let me know!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:02:53 PM by Gear Head » Logged

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.
LKermit

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 08:19:54 PM »

LKermit please list the tools you guys all use and any pertinant information such as model numbers, and things like that?  That is if you feel like sharing

Sorry that I found this thread so late! 

I don't really have model numbers available, but I use two band saws, a 10 inch Craftsman table saw, a DeWalt thickness planer, a reciprocating spindle sander, a radial arm saw, a belt/disc sander, a 10 inch disc sander, a drill press with HSS and Forstner bits, three hand drills, a scroll saw, and soon a CNC router. 

There is also an air-powered die grinder with different dimpled or spiral cut bits for rough shaping, a table-mounted router for barrel channels and rounding over the stock sides, sanding blocks and rods to shape the grip areas, hand files and rasps and many other hand tools. 

KTF
kiernan
New Posting Member

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 03:28:02 AM »

I've completed two SKS projects (Although a project like this is never finished...)
and gotten part way through two others before flagging them for various reasons.

I've posted my latest one here on this forum. Here's some pics for a taster...
Mk IV

Mk I
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:50:56 AM by kiernan » Logged
johnny9
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 08:39:03 AM »

nice Wink a lil stain and some aint and they will look great!

get r done
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length