Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2017, 10:11:55 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Steiner M332 3x Prism Sight.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Steiner M332 3x Prism Sight.  (Read 159 times)
Clarke-Sensei

« on: August 12, 2017, 03:13:21 AM »

Does anyone have experience with the Steiner M332? I have a pretty bad astigmatism, and want to pick up a prism sight. While other, more budget friendly options like the Burris or Primary Arms models are available, I'd like to just jump to a higher quality optic.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 07:01:30 PM »

Does anyone have experience with the Steiner M332? I have a pretty bad astigmatism, and want to pick up a prism sight. While other, more budget friendly options like the Burris or Primary Arms models are available, I'd like to just jump to a higher quality optic.

It is most likely based on the aesthetics and design that both the Burris and the Steiner are the exact same optic, just with different names and reticles.  Likewise, the PA optic probably is from the same point of production.

Sootch did a review on the Steiner:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrGVt9-BfnA

Kurt
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 07:09:41 PM »

It is most likely based on the aesthetics and design that both the Burris and the Steiner are the exact same optic, just with different names and reticles.  Likewise, the PA optic probably is from the same point of production.

Sootch did a review on the Steiner:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrGVt9-BfnA
The Steiner is made with Schott glass and manufactured in Germany, unlike Burris and Primary Arms. Not a stickler for where things are made, but Steiner has consistently held a reputation for higher quality (besides the Tx5i debacle).
I'm up to hear other options if you have any.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 07:25:49 PM »

The Steiner is made with Schott glass and manufactured in Germany, unlike Burris and Primary Arms. Not a stickler for where things are made, but Steiner has consistently held a reputation for higher quality (besides the Tx5i debacle).
I'm up to hear other options if you have any.

If it makes the optic worth a couple hundred dollars more by providing a truly quantitative enhancement, and not just marketing enhancement, fine.  For a low power optic, I would venture to say that all three of them (Steiner, Burris, PA) are good optics. 

In the end, you have to make the call whether the differences are worth the cost or whether the other options are good for the role.  If we were discussing higher magnification optics, I'd certainly want the best glass possible.  But for a mere 3x prism sight?  So long as I have good edge to edge clarity, light transmission, and overall build quality, I'm good.  And I *am* an optics snob.

Kurt
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 08:20:28 PM »

Thanks for the talk. I'm still learning about optics (mainly that my eyes hate all RDS's and magnification over 5x makes me nauseous). I may just need to stick with irons for now, don't have issues with those.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 09:42:41 PM »

Thanks for the talk. I'm still learning about optics (mainly that my eyes hate all RDS's and magnification over 5x makes me nauseous). I may just need to stick with irons for now, don't have issues with those.

Before you shell out a ton of money, test drive a Primary Arms 3x or one of their 1-6x SFP ACSS reticle optics.  If you like it, cool.  If you don't, you might lose a couple bucks, but you can easily flip it on the used market.

Kurt
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 09:49:46 PM »

The Primary Arms 3x was my original idea. I've gotten to handle one, and liked it. The reticle was a bit busy for my eyes, so the 2.5x might be a good option for me.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 09:56:57 PM »

I have an astigmatism as well...

I went with 1-4 scopes and never looked back.

Here is my advice, buy nice and cry once. 
Cheap optics in the end are cheap, and not up to par with optics that start at the 600-700$ price range.

I have a strike eagle, and it's good for my budget AR, but I just got a Trijicon accupower and the strike eagle doesn't even compare, I plan on buying 5 more accupowers.  The glass and reticle are amazing.
At 1x it's basically as fast as a red dot, no more fisheye than a MRO red dot.

At 1-2x  with my 1-4 scopes, I shoot with both eyes open just like a red dot.

Can't say enough good things about trijicon accupower.

I could say a lot more, but I'll cut this short for now.

Buy a 1-4, they are as fast as red dots, but you can zoom in as well.  Even if I didn't have ana astigmatism, I would favor the 1-4 optics.  They are the best all around optics in my opinion.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 10:02:16 PM »

Btw I wear glasses, but with the 1-4 optics I can shoot without my glasses, and it's like wearing glasses when you look through them.  The reticle is clear and sharp, and even at 1x I can see long distance with clarity as if I was wearing glasses.  Also I can use the 1-4 optics with or without glasses, and either way it's like I have the vision of a hawk.  Every thing looks so crisp and clear; it's truly amazing.  Buy a high end 1-4.   I've also heard good things about the stiner 1-4.  But I would suggest a Trijicon accupower or accupoint.  The leupold patrol looks promising as well.

* 20170812_000833.jpg (2125.79 KB, 2560x1440 - viewed 10 times.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:04:51 PM by RabbitSlayer » Logged
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 10:16:17 PM »

I would have no issue spending money for quality glass, and I love the Accupower. Got to handle one a little while ago, and love the segmented circle reticle in green. If I go with a variable, that is at the top of my list. What is that mount by the way?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 05:10:55 AM by Clarke-Sensei » Logged
DOWNS

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 10:36:30 PM »

I'd have a hard time believing that the whole scope is being made in Germany.  IMO they are using the same bodies and plant as the Primary Arms and Buris models but are using German glass.  The bodies are just too similar for me to believe they are having a company in Germany make the whole thing. 
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length