Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 04:27:37 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR
| | |-+  1st MDR owner video from Desert Tech
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: 1st MDR owner video from Desert Tech  (Read 2906 times)
Tvfreakarms

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 01:46:06 AM »

Why did Russ get kicked out of his own company?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Ouborat7

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 02:15:38 AM »

I watched the video a few hours ago so correct me if I'm remembering any of it wrong.

-Is it just me or did it seem the OSS didn't tame the recoil much?

-I thought it was weird that nick young mentioned they are still testing the guns which have about 1,000 rounds through them and they are trying to reach the goal #s for rounds and that they don't expect anything to go wrong but they are watching how they perform or something like that? So they are releasing the guns but are still performing testing?

Cool to see what they did to bring that guy out, obviously like some have mentioned, it's a lot about PR but still cool.
JesseJames38

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 02:35:06 AM »

I am pretty happy for the guy. seemed pretty happy  I would be to.  I am also still waiting for mine but not really expecting it any time.  I enjoyed watching the unboxing of the rifle.   But it seems to be missing a manual for the rifle.    maybe they where all in a hurry to get it boxed up for his arrival  On the other hand the open boxing of the one at Special purpose rifles.    I highly doubt they decided to remove the manual before snapping the photo of the open case

Jesse
Siris

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 03:47:56 AM »

I watched the video a few hours ago so correct me if I'm remembering any of it wrong.

-I thought it was weird that nick young mentioned they are still testing the guns which have about 1,000 rounds through them and they are trying to reach the goal #s for rounds and that they don't expect anything to go wrong but they are watching how they perform or something like that? So they are releasing the guns but are still performing testing?

Cool to see what they did to bring that guy out, obviously like some have mentioned, it's a lot about PR but still cool.

I understood it as selected rifles from the batch to test that the batches are keeping up to snuff

What ever happened to Democrat meaning drunken partying and pistol duels on the white house lawn, beating your would be assassin so senseless your security has to protect them from you, and one of your only two regrets is that you didn't kill your own vice president and running mate.
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 06:32:25 AM »

Derek Johnson prepping for the next Terminator movie ---

thehun

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2017, 09:15:56 AM »

DT needs all the PR they can get.

I believe this video was shot on 7/21...when they were testing the final production guns...however, 1,000rds is hardly a test to validate a system.
Ouborat7

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2017, 02:51:08 PM »

I just rewatched the part at 9 minutes in. It sounds like nick is saying they had already done their testing for thousands of rounds on previous guns but not in the final production guns. They picked 6 production guns and were testing those. They each had about a thousand rounds through them. They were monitoring them for problems and were trying to get them up to their goal round count. They don't anticipate problems since they have done this on non production guns but are watching for them. In the meantime the launch has begun while they are stil testing production guns as Derek is given serial #1. Maybe this is all the NATO testing we heard the forum member touting probably about a year ago.
Potss
^

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2017, 05:43:33 PM »

The OSS does tame the recoil...but no more than adding ~25oz weight (stupid what OSS weighs) to the front of the gun would.  And did anyone else see how much more gas was coming out of the ejection shoot when the OSS was on?  I thought that was the whole point, elimination of back pressure.  My AR with an Omega and SLR gas block doesn't have that much gas ffs.  I really hope this isn't another Tavor with a can on it.
sampitt

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2017, 05:48:08 PM »

The OSS does tame the recoil...but no more than adding ~25oz weight (stupid what OSS weighs) to the front of the gun would.  And did anyone else see how much more gas was coming out of the ejection shoot when the OSS was on?  I thought that was the whole point, elimination of back pressure.  My AR with an Omega and SLR gas block doesn't have that much gas ffs.  I really hope this isn't another Tavor with a can on it.

I almost bought one when Quiet Riot had them on sale for $599 (or something around that price) and I'm extremely happy that I didn't. 
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2017, 07:07:53 PM »

I just rewatched the part at 9 minutes in. It sounds like nick is saying they had already done their testing for thousands of rounds on previous guns but not in the final production guns. They picked 6 production guns and were testing those. They each had about a thousand rounds through them. They were monitoring them for problems and were trying to get them up to their goal round count. They don't anticipate problems since they have done this on non production guns but are watching for them. In the meantime the launch has begun while they are stil testing production guns as Derek is given serial #1. Maybe this is all the NATO testing we heard the forum member touting probably about a year ago.

I took it to mean that they had tested everything, but they were just running extended QC tests by pulling production rifles off the line rather than the first low rate production guns that probably received more attention during assembly.

Kurt
Ouborat7

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2017, 07:21:45 PM »

I took it to mean that they had tested everything, but they were just running extended QC tests by pulling production rifles off the line rather than the first low rate production guns that probably received more attention during assembly.
Nick said we have already done all these tests, but we wanted to validate it on production guns. I took that to mean they were previously tested on non-production guns. If they were already tested on production guns, then why is he saying we want to validate them on production guns?

I hope your right about what your saying.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2017, 07:53:07 PM »

Nick said we have already done all these tests, but we wanted to validate it on production guns. I took that to mean they were previously tested on non-production guns. If they were already tested on production guns, then why is he saying we want to validate them on production guns?

I hope your right about what your saying.

I looked at it as an overall "good thing" because it shows that they're focused on quality control rather than shipping a few extra units.  Remember, this is a level of production that is alien to what DT is used to and I think it's a wise move to carefully test and check, not to mention retain production samples for potential forensic purposes, throughout the MDR's early days.

Kurt
MikeSmith
^

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2017, 10:36:34 PM »

I'm not sure he got kicked out--the story at the time sounded more like a disagreement between him and others (I'm guessing he had to give up control to raise capital), and he chose to leave and made a big spectacle of it.  Supposedly he was doing something new but I haven't heard a peep and his 1 year countdown (guessing due to non-compete) ended months ago.

The disagreement appeared to center around... wait for it... weight!  Sounded like Russ wanted to make it bullet-proof above all else while everybody else was pointing out that the biggest complaint everybody had (aside from price) was weight.

Anyway, I think you guys might be assuming more than you should about the OSS suppressor in that video--the angle is different when they show that shot and there's hardly enough solid evidence to draw conclusions about whether it's performing as intended in regards to backpressure.  Complaining about price is justified, but I'd want a bit more hard data than that little video clip before I'd be saying what you said, Potss.
Siris

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 11:44:31 PM »

I'm not sure he got kicked out--the story at the time sounded more like a disagreement between him and others (I'm guessing he had to give up control to raise capital), and he chose to leave and made a big spectacle of it.  Supposedly he was doing something new but I haven't heard a peep and his 1 year countdown (guessing due to non-compete) ended months ago.

The disagreement appeared to center around... wait for it... weight!  Sounded like Russ wanted to make it bullet-proof above all else while everybody else was pointing out that the biggest complaint everybody had (aside from price) was weight.

Anyway, I think you guys might be assuming more than you should about the OSS suppressor in that video--the angle is different when they show that shot and there's hardly enough solid evidence to draw conclusions about whether it's performing as intended in regards to backpressure.  Complaining about price is justified, but I'd want a bit more hard data than that little video clip before I'd be saying what you said, Potss.
I think MAC did a video on a at least similar OSS supressor, too lazy to go digging for it though

What ever happened to Democrat meaning drunken partying and pistol duels on the white house lawn, beating your would be assassin so senseless your security has to protect them from you, and one of your only two regrets is that you didn't kill your own vice president and running mate.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2017, 12:49:06 AM »

There was a lot more than the weight issue; part of it also was that the new owners were focused on shipping units and believed that a 20% return rate was acceptable among other issues.  Russ spells it out here: 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/announcing-my-resignation-from-oss-russ-oliver

Kurt
MikeSmith
^

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 01:04:18 AM »

I think MAC did a video on a at least similar OSS supressor, too lazy to go digging for it though

MAC did a video on the 7.62 Helix (that's the flush mount version) and NFA Review Channel did a review of the 5.56 Helix.  MAC metered it, and was impressed with the at-the-ear level for a 7.62.  I know he has a 5.56 mounted on his "office defense" Tavor but I haven't seen him put out a video review of it yet with metering.  Regarding gas, he just did a 60 round mag dump and was very impressed with the lack of gas in the face.

NFA Review Channel evaluated the gas issue by looking at the deposits on the rounds left in the magazine.  To this date all I have ever seen is anecdotal indications of gas performance--I think the only way to quantitatively evaluate it is to measure bolt speed, and I don't think that many have that capability.  OSS put out some videos showing it being done but some people are always going to be suspicious of anything put out by the manufacturer.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length