Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 05:32:38 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Completely refinished and upgraded 1911A1
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Completely refinished and upgraded 1911A1  (Read 622 times)
ptrthgr8

« on: July 29, 2017, 05:14:17 PM »

Hi, all!

I am all sorts of pleased to report that Iíve gotten my Springfield 1911A1 back from Ahlmanís (in Morristown, MN) and I canít possibly be any happier with the work.  I bought all the parts myself and then shipped everything to them for installation, fitting, trigger work, etc. and then had them reblue everything (and their prep work for the reblue buffed out pretty much all of the scratches and dings).

I bought this pistol the day I turned 21... so I've had it for nearly 24 years now. I *could* have simply purchased a new 1911, but I felt this awesome pistol more than deserved a makeover. Hereís everything that was added:

Wilson Combat Ultralight Match trigger
Wilson Bullet Proof s/s firing pin stop
Wilson Bullet Proof s/s extractor
Wilson Bullet Proof A2 sear
Wilson Bullet Proof disconnector
Wilson Bullet Proof ambi safety
Wilson Ultralight skeletonized Bullet Proof hammer
Wilson Bullet Proof sear spring
Wilson Bullet Proof slide stop
Wilson R15BS s/s mag catch lock
Wilson s/s tactical mag release
Wilson Bullet Proof hammer spring
Ed Brown flat mainspring housing with Snakeskin treatment
Ed Brown machined memory groove beavertail grip safety
Trijicon 1911 Novak cut HD night sight set with orange front outline

Ahlman's did all the installation and fitting work, machined dovetails into the slide for the Trijicon sights, set this gun up with the smoothest 3.5lb trigger pull I've ever felt, and then did a complete reblue of the slide and frame to restore the pistol to its original glory. And the best part? The work came in well under budget and well ahead of schedule (estimated to take 2-3 months, actually took just over 4 weeks). Ahlman's does some amazing work. I can't recommend them enough!

The grip sets are both VZ grips that I added myself. The wood grips are their Double Diamond Caribbean Rosewood and the other is their Operator II Black/Gray G10 set. The grip screws are VZ's 1911 Templar Blackwash screws.  I actually can't decide which grip set I like better.

I also added a Wilson Combat 188B mag well and am using the Wilson Combat 47D mags.

This is a sharp looking 1911A1, if I do say so myself! Smiley

Hereís the pistol before I sent if off to Ahlmanís, sporting the black/gray G10 grip set:

And here it is today Ė I still canít decide if I like the black/gray G10s or the Caribbean Rosewood grips best.  But I do definitely like VZ grips!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
Samuel Adams
xpdchief

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 07:02:31 AM »

Congratulations!  You have every right to be proud.  Personally, I like the look of the black/gray grips.  They give it a sleek look.  The rosewoods are more refined.  Either way you have a great looking 1911.

Respectfully submitted,
Brian
ptrthgr8

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 11:30:27 AM »

Congratulations!  You have every right to be proud.  Personally, I like the look of the black/gray grips.  They give it a sleek look.  The rosewoods are more refined.  Either way you have a great looking 1911.

Thanks! Smiley

I think it may come down to how they feel while shooting. I'm hoping to get some range time in this weekend, so I'm sure I'll test out both sets just to see if one feels more right than the other.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
Samuel Adams
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 12:11:03 PM »

Awesome! I did the same thing on a SW E series 1911. The only stock parts were the slide, frame, and barrel. It's nice to build your own, you know exactly what's inside. Great looking pistol.

I like the rosewood grips, but a set of sarges ivory grips would really set it off. I like flat cut grips with magwell flared adapters. The flat cut rosewood looks like it belongs there.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:14:06 PM by BullpupT » Logged
ptrthgr8

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 02:48:53 PM »

I like flat cut grips with magwell flared adapters. The flat cut rosewood looks like it belongs there.

Good eye.  I've got this posted all over the world and you're the first one to mention that part.  That's one of the things I like least about these G10s. I ordered them before I had the upgrades (see the first pic with the green background) and they worked fine - I specifically ordered the G10s with the beveled lower edge because it worked better with the pistol before I added the magweel and Wilson mags.  VZ Grips sells them with the standard edge, of course... and now I sorta want to order another set with the non-beveled edge just to see how that looks. Maybe the next time they have a sale (once every couple of months it seems) I'll order another set. maybe get a different color this time, too. Too many options. LOL

I'm not normally a fan of ivory grips, but I do like to keep options open. I'll check out their site and see what's out there.

Samuel Adams
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 03:49:58 PM »

I encourage you to buy even the cheapest pair of grips Sarge offers so you can feel th shape. They feel like no other grip, truely amazing fit and finish. They also go all the way to the front strap and back strap. They don't look like most grips with metal exposed ahead one behind the side flats of the frame.

I have ivory in mine but it's a bit price. A cheaper pair can be ordered with flat bottoms for short money. He even has real snake skin and sting ray grips,
CooperShooter

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 05:02:16 AM »

Man, that looks bad ass! Wink
Leonitus

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 10:12:36 PM »

Oh how I do love a 1911.

A nice build,....congrats!

How does she shoot?
CooperShooter

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 05:04:28 AM »

Oh how I do love a 1911.

How does she shoot?

Yup, I'm also curious about its performance as well. Smiley
ptrthgr8

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »

Oh how I do love a 1911.

How does she shoot?

Thanks!

Had it out for some trigger time a couple of weekends ago. Ran through 350 rounds of various ball and JHP loads (target loads, defensive loads) and not a single hiccup. Everything was smooth as silk and functioned better than ever. I didn't put it on paper, but we had a 6" AR500 gong set up about 50 yards out and we were able to hit it consistently without using a rest of any sort. That's well within my standard of Minute of Bad Guy, so it was good enough for me. Smiley

Took a couple of friends along to keep the 1911 company, too. Smiley

Samuel Adams
Leonitus

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 02:58:58 PM »

How do you like your PWS?

I live my Mk114/116....have both length uppers for the Mod 2

Also have a Mk107 mod 1
ptrthgr8

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 05:11:13 PM »

How do you like your PWS?

I live my Mk114/116....have both length uppers for the Mod 2

Also have a Mk107 mod 1

I love and adore this 7.62x39 MK116 Mod2. I've only got 600 rounds through it so far and haven't shot it suppressed yet, but I'm hoping to take care of that this weekend.  The ZEV trigger is pretty awesome. I also didn't think a rifle so light would be so controllable in rapid fire with the 7.62x39, but it sure as heck is. Easy to shoot, swings nicely, smooth point, etc. All the qualities of a good shootin' rifle.  And I love how much easier it is to clean due to the piston arrangement. I always hated the DI system, so this was an awesome upgrade.

If I had to choose something to complain about, it might be the BCM Gunfighter stock and pistol grip used by PWS. The pistol grip just doesn't feel as nice as the LaRue units I've been using for a while. And the stock doesn't seem to want to stay as tucked into my shoulder as a lot of other stocks. I've had a Magpul CTR on one of my other ARs for 5 or 6 years now and love it, but even the factory A2 stock on my Colt A2 HBAR would be better. It sorts reminds me of shooting the Polish AK-74 I used to have - that plum colored Arsenal Inc set I bought was too light and the geometry of the thing allowed the stock to move around a little more than I'd like. But it may just be a matter of a) getting used to it or b) adding some friction tape to the back end to help it have more grip. I'm not giving up on the BMC bits yet, though... but it would be super easy to add a CTR and LaRue grip, too.  Hmm... Maybe LaRue will have another combo sale soon. Smiley

But the stock and grip are what they are. Certainly nothing wrong with the rifle otherwise. The PWS bits have completely exceeded my expectations. Smiley

~ Greg ~

Samuel Adams
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length