Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 08:58:11 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  What kind of optic do you run on your Tavor?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Poll
Question: What kind of optic do you run on your Tavor?
Red dot   -49 (58.3%)
Magnified   -25 (29.8%)
Irons   -10 (11.9%)
Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: What kind of optic do you run on your Tavor?  (Read 2554 times)
YunGunz120

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2017, 03:43:41 PM »

Mako RDS with a Vortex Magnifier.  Never liked the Acog even when we were issued them.  Everyone has their own taste, make do with what ya like. lol.
Rastoff

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2017, 05:39:42 PM »

Never liked the Acog even when we were issued them.
What was it about the ACOG that you didn't like?

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
rbuzz

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2017, 09:33:26 AM »

I used to run an EOTech but with EOTech's problems, I took advantage of the buyback and replaced it with a Hartman MH1, but retained the EOTech 3X magnifier. Very satisfied with the combination.

* Tavor2.JPG (2684.44 KB, 3951x2587 - viewed 50 times.)

* Tavor.JPG (2968.74 KB, 4000x2672 - viewed 34 times.)
Rastoff

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2017, 10:56:44 AM »

How's the battery life on that Hartman? It seems like it would be less than the EOTech.

Freedom isn't free.
YunGunz120

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2017, 11:23:26 AM »

Never liked the Acog even when we were issued them.
What was it about the ACOG that you didn't like?

At the time we focused heavy on CQB, and like most things, never enough time to really adjust or try out different sights. We had one go bad with a walking redical, 1 of hundreds, but somehow I was one of the few to play with it. So stuck back with my massive MARS V. And I like the Tavor for its different taste in battle style. Over time I have no hate for the ACOG, but my mind set was else where, and the red dot was satisfying that nature. If that makes sense. Lol
Hit Factor

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2017, 01:21:14 PM »

Currently have a Trijicon MRO that's been rock solid. I'm looking at the TA44 ACOG, 1.5 fixed power, might agree with my old eyes better (astigmatism is a problem for me). I've shot quite a feww matches with the x95 this summer.
rbuzz

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2017, 10:20:55 AM »

How's the battery life on that Hartman? It seems like it would be less than the EOTech.
Sorry but I can't really give you an answer on that yet. I've had it for a few months but haven't had a chance to really use it as much as I'd like. The Hartman has an internal battery that you can recharge using a USB charger, plus it has a CR123 backup battery that kicks in if the internal battery runs out. I really haven't had the opportunity to test it to see how long the rechargeable battery lasts before it needs charging again.
Since the Hartman has a sleep mode I would expect the battery life should be pretty good, and then when the main battery goes low, you still have the backup battery. It takes about 2 hours to charge the main battery and you get a flashing light about 2 hours to warn you before the charge runs out. At first I had reservations about having a rechargeable battery as it's power source, but more and more I can see the advantage.
I'm going to have to fully charge it and then put it in storage and see just how long the battery life is. I don't know if it (or anything) will ever approach the battery life of an Aimpoint, but I don't foresee a problem. The Hartman just has so many features that I like that it's fast becoming my favorite sight. It has just about the widest range of view I've ever seen and the reticle is great for both close range as well as more distant shots needing more accuracy since it has a small 2 MOA center dot. In a way it's similar to the reticle on an EOTech except that instead of the dot in a circle, the Hartman uses a dot surrounded by two short horizontal lines and one vertical line instead. In certain cases, the circle in a dot of the EOTech could block part of the target but with the Hartman's reticle that isn't a problem, plus with the horizontal and vertical lines it's a little easier to pick up, for me at least.
I've always like the reticle on the EOTech and found it easier to pick up quicker than just a single red dot, but when EOTech announced it's problems with reticle shift I decided to take advantage of their buyback program and try something new. I wasn't aware of any problem with reticle shift on my EXPS2's, although on one of them part of the reticle was beginning to fade out. For me it was the perfect chance to replace them with something new and so far the Hartman has been great. Time will tell.
h8louzn
New Posting Member

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2017, 07:42:01 PM »

Well im new here and took off my Eotech 512 and replaced it with a ta-11. I know its big and heavy but wow.. Eotech  is now up for sale..
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2017, 07:55:52 PM »

Well im new here and took off my Eotech 512 and replaced it with a ta-11. I know its big and heavy but wow.. Eotech  is now up for sale..

Yup... I love my TA11. Crystal clear optics from edge to edge and a MUCH better eye relief compared to the 4x actually acogs
Rastoff

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2017, 10:20:07 PM »

I've always like the reticle on the EOTech and found it easier to pick up quicker than just a single red dot, but when EOTech announced it's problems with reticle shift I decided to take advantage of their buyback program and try something new.
The reticle shift would only show up in extreme temperature changes. They have since fixed the issue, but I would have taken the buy back program as well.

I also love the reticle in the EOTech. Much faster than anything else I've used. Alas, my eyes are not what they used to be and I'm much happier with magnification. I also like the lack of batteries in the ACOG.

I've seen a couple of reviews of the Hartman and it sounds like a great optic. I would love to play with one, but I know I'd go back to the ACOG anyway so, I don't think I'll get one. Please keep us informed as you gain experience.

Freedom isn't free.
iiiwildfireiii

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2017, 02:37:38 PM »

Anyone running a Vortex Strike Eagle, or Primary Arms 1-6x?
I had a Vortex Viper PST and liked it very much. Still, the ACOG is much more durable and half the weight and size. I came to the realization that I never changed the magnification on the Vortex anyway so...ACOG it is.

Before you ask, yes, they're expensive. I saved for a few months, sold some stuff and bought used. It's worth the wait.

I find that with my variable power scopes I often change magnification.  I really love being able to go from 1x to 4x.
Rapid fire on 1x feels like a red dot, and with 4x you can really reach out and touch things on the first shot, where as with a red dot I would usually have to "walk my shots in".

An acog would be nice because you always know what to expect when you look through the glass, and occasionally with my variables I look through expecting 1x only to realize it's on 4x, and for a brief second I am slightly disoriented, which is 100% user error  Grin

I run a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 on mine and use the Vortex Switchview throw lever with it.  Not only does it make changing magnification a breeze, you also know what magnification the scope is on just by looking where the throw lever sticks out.  If it's on the left, its 1x, if its far to the right, its 4x.  Easy peasy.
Mindless-Focus

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2017, 11:07:00 PM »

I run Trijicon MROs on mine. Will try a Vortex Strike Eagle on the Tavor 7 when I get one.
rbuzz

« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2017, 09:59:46 AM »

Anyone running a Vortex Strike Eagle, or Primary Arms 1-6x?
I had 2 EOTech EXPS2 that I returned to EOTech when they were offering their buyback program. I was always a big fan of the EOTech, but one of them started to show a little fade in the circle section of the reticle and that prompted me to send them back and try something new.
Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I decided to run a Hartman MH1 on my Tavor SAR. I thought that the red dot was more in line with the close quarter combat use of the Tavor, plus the Hartman just looked like a cool optic with a lot of features. The fact that it was designed by Mikey Hartman, the person who for years trained Israli Defense Forces and was an IDF sniper was also a plus. I combined the Hartman with my EOTech 3x magnifier and am so far well satisfied with the results.
For the second EOTech that I had on my AR, I decided to go with the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6X mainly because of two things. First like many of us, my eyes aren't quite as sharp as they used to be and a magnified scope I thought would be a benefit. Secondly, the AR is perceived more of a long range weapon, even though it also is used at close quarters also. But since my AR was a S&W M&P MOE mid length version, I thought that it was maybe more suited for longer ranges. The Strike Eagle handles the close quarters very well with zero magnification, but with the 6X also allows you to reach out and touch targets at longer ranges more accurately than can be done with a red dot. In short , it offers the best of both worlds.
So far I am very happy with the results. The glass is crystal clear with no abnormalities that I can see. On 1X magnification it's probably not quite as quick to pick up the reticle as a red dot, but close. At 6X there is no comparison to a red dot. The image is bright and clear and you can pick out details with the reticle that would normally be obscured by the red dot.
For me the Vortex has been a happy addition to my AR. On the downside, it's not Mil-spec as is an Aimpoint or Trijicon, but in real life I can get by with that, but on the upside it is guaranteed for life. It's nice to know that if anything ever goes wrong with it, Vortex will take care of me. To me it was money well spent and I have to admit, I don't miss the EOTech at all. 
The only real downside is that I purchased my 1-6X before Vortex announced their new 1-8X version of the Strike Eagle.  If 6X is good, then 8X should be even better.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length