Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2017, 11:44:20 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  Help with correct riser hight
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help with correct riser hight  (Read 607 times)
ivanreuter

« on: July 15, 2017, 07:01:25 AM »

I've almost exhausted all possibilities to get my tavor tricked out FUNCTIONALLY then realized that after the razor back rail, I was left with no back up sights to co witness the eotech hybrid... I have the XLT hand guard with the added retail on top. So, I figure that would be a perfect spot to mount the Magpul flip up sight for back up in a jam.. Obviously, I need a riser if I want it on the hand guard upper mount.. To the experts, before I make another purchase, what size of riser do I need to accommodate the front back up while the rear is already on a elevated mount co witnessing a holographic??? I don't want to buy on impulse... Thx
paulky_2000

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 07:44:17 AM »

Why bother with backup sights?
ivanreuter

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:08:59 AM »

well when zombie apocalypse comes c123 may not be readily available!! ... Just an enthusiast who likes functional toys
paulky_2000

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 08:44:18 AM »

Nodding! Grin

Perhaps you could jettison the riser and then you could utilize the factory iron sights? The sight-over-bore on the Tavor is already atrociously high, I mean......so why add to the issue?
tavor hollow

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 12:07:18 PM »

A short time back rad or rabbit was looking for a riser someone suggested a Razorback rail he declined and said he liked the factory sights and did not want to hunt down aftermarket buis. He said how I felt I like the factory sights. I liked the razorback but right now I have a 13 slot 1/2" riser and a 5 slot qd up front for a clip on nvd. If need flip. 3 levers and factory sights deploy.also if you think battery's could be hard to find in the future maybe a non powered back up optic if the day ever comes!? If you get a back up front sight check out blitzkreig hi viz front post or chevron quite the option. Sight over bore I don't think I've had a problem with that yet.I haven't needed to make a cerebellum shot under 15 yards yet. Anyways good luck.
DubageL

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 01:42:58 PM »

Buy a meprolight meproMOR. Uses batteries, tritium or sunlight for reticle illumination.
paulky_2000

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 01:50:00 PM »

First time I shot my X95 with the EOTech......

....I shot a hole in my shooting bench.

Tongue
tavor hollow

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 02:31:36 PM »

I saw a few 3 gun videos where the tavor had to be compensated for on the ground through the bottom of the wall. Did the bench surrender. A old friend shot his dads truck with a scoped deer rifle while his dads saying your going to shoot the truck...no I'm not I took a peep at the mepro its kind of cool but I usually separate lasers and optics because all lasers fail and need replacing ( low end even Viridian). I saw mepro had a fiber optic and somebody made a optional light to feed the fiber some light.  I've been doing that for about 4 years with my tr24 accupoint.  Anyways I don't think we're getting any closer to a height for his riser?
tavor hollow

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 02:49:59 PM »

If its a full lenth razorback seems like I would mount it on the Razorback unless its being used for something else.
ivanreuter

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 10:29:16 PM »

Well, thank you to those who lacked sarcasm and actually TRIED to help. I went ahead and got the 0.83'' riser to mount front ubus gen 2 on the xlt handguard.. If it doesn't work (which it will) it was $10 so whatever.. People get die hard and take things way to serious. I'm making art and I'll paint you a picture. My second amendment protects my first blah blah... I'll post a pic.. Thought this was a community for people who shared my love..
l2a3

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 11:12:26 PM »

I ran thru the same with my X-95 due to not having much of a neck and had to really use a very hard cheek weld to even see the factory sights. I ended up using a GH Full Razorback top rail (3/8" high) with FAB Defense H3 (Tritium) folding sights at/on the ends of the rail with a DBAL-I2 (I squared) mounted far enough back to allow the front sight to be raised, followed with an M68 Aimpoint and have space left between the M68 and rear sight. It now fits and allows me to see the M68 or the or the irons sights by laying my cheek along the stock.  The Irons and laser co-witness in the lower 1/3 while the M68 is centered in the viewing window.  It works for me.

* X-95 fixed up for me.jpg (1763.93 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 38 times.)
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 11:35:43 PM »

Perhaps you could jettison the riser and then you could utilize the factory iron sights?

This.
The factory irons are nice.

Just use a riser on the optic, and keep your factory irons.

2 cents
ivanreuter

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 01:14:18 AM »

Don't get me wrong, sacrificing my stock irons for the razorback was a hard choice to make. I actually prefer them over the magpul but let's face it. The straight back doesn't feel natural in comparison. I'm happy with the new rail but back up sights are a must. I have clearance for the rear with 3x flip but thought why not put it on the unused space on the xlt hand guard? I know you guys are like "duh, put it on the rail" but I'm special with too much spare change. There is no upgrade I can think of that I can possibly get besides paint (if you think of something TELL ME!!!!). Playing the waiting game for the omega.. The main question as abstract as it may be was riser hight for a front sight to be functional while mounted on empty retail on xlt.. I just eye balled it and went with the 0.83"... I'm just a over funded bullpupie who has no sense of priorities...
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 08:31:07 AM »

Don't get me wrong, sacrificing my stock irons for the razorback was a hard choice to make. I actually prefer them over the magpul but let's face it. The straight back doesn't feel natural in comparison. I'm happy with the new rail but back up sights are a must. I have clearance for the rear with 3x flip but thought why not put it on the unused space on the xlt hand guard? I know you guys are like "duh, put it on the rail" but I'm special with too much spare change. There is no upgrade I can think of that I can possibly get besides paint (if you think of something TELL ME!!!!). Playing the waiting game for the omega.. The main question as abstract as it may be was riser hight for a front sight to be functional while mounted on empty retail on xlt.. I just eye balled it and went with the 0.83"... I'm just a over funded bullpupie who has no sense of priorities...

Well, no matter what it is your gun, and you should set it up however the hell you want regardless of what other people think!  What works for you might not work for someone else and vise versa.

My personal opinion about the rail height is that I believe the only reason it doesn't feel like the ideal cheek weld is because of the fat butt pad IWI has to put on it to prevent the gun from being under 26'' long ( because that would make it a super deadly assault gun otherwise Roll Eyes ).  The fat buttpad changes the angle of cheek weld, and makes the LOP too long.
I think with the originally designed thin butpad, that the cheek weld is more natural.  I don't believe that the Israelies would go through so much designing this modern weapon that they would completely screw up the cheek weld.  I think our Jewish friends are a little smarter than that.  When I handled one with the thin butt pad I thought it felt amazingly perfect.  Made it basically feel like holding an SMG.  So much so it made me feel even more pissed off about the stupid NFA laws  Cheesy
I get why so many people are pin welding their guns, or getting the tall rail.  I personally find it pretty comfortable to just ride the gun a little higher in my shoulder pocket rather that the other two things for the time being.  However if I were to do either mod, I would do the pin weld to use the short but pad rather then mess with the rail.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:36:28 AM by RabbitSlayer » Logged
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 08:38:48 AM »

Why bother with backup sights?

Lol, that was one of the main reasons I never got into the AUG.  I've trained with iron sights for so long, that the thought of not having them is like blasphemy! Cheesy
paulky_2000

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 01:19:17 PM »

Perhaps you could jettison the riser and then you could utilize the factory iron sights?

This.
The factory irons are nice.

Just use a riser on the optic, and keep your factory irons.

2 cents

SHHHH!!! He was scolding me for being sarcastic.  Undecided

If there's any more crazy-talk like this, he might actually realize that I WAS BEING SERIOUS....and that he just didn't like my answer.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length