Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2017, 01:48:06 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Shotguns
| |-+  UTAS UTS-15
| | |-+  usa gen4, no pump spring assist installed?!
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: usa gen4, no pump spring assist installed?!  (Read 833 times)
blastahbastahd
New Posting Member

« on: July 10, 2017, 10:54:48 AM »

Just received my new "gen4" UTS-15, and it did NOT come with the spring assist assembly for the pump action. All of the other "telltale signs" of a gen4 are present (trigger guard, etc.)

I am annoyed and confused by this, as this spring assist addition is one of the reasons I thought it that it was "time" to purchase this shotty.  It seemed like a reasonable solution to a problem that was very commonly reported with every single "generation" of this weapon (inadvertent short-shucking).

In the manual that came with my UTS, this spring assembly is clearly indicated in the exploded diagram.  There is even this video from 2016, with the utas-usa general manager describing this new feature (whilst in front of a pile of utas-usa boxes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hhemZ_QFdU

I contacted utas-usa and they have been friendly and prompt with responses, but they state that the spring assist is only available on international weapons, and that the lack of the spring assist is perfectly safe and functional.  Then why even provide this spring assembly at all?

So is everyone demoing their gen4 uts on youtube or in gun-blog reviews that have this feature installed in their gen4 in Canada or something?  Seems like utas invested some time and money in developing this solution, so what's up?  Are there issues or downsides to this forward spring assembly, any reasons the US branch is avoiding installing it?  The video above even shows that it can be disengaged even if it is installed, if a shooter doesn't like the action I guess.  I know that some folks have indicated that the section of the cavity where the spring mechanism sits interferes with the cabling of the laser/light combo that utas offers (which is a significant drawback, as i do want to install that accessory).

ParanoidMedic

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 01:46:25 PM »

So how does the UTAS run with out the spring?
blastahbastahd
New Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 12:03:57 AM »

haven't done shooting yet, still in "set up" mode.  that said, so far seems ok with the b's dry fire snap caps that i've put through it.  any snags have been from my own shucking goofs.  no problem putting 15th round into chamber either.  will report issues at the range, otherwise you can assume that things are going well even with no spring.

utas support mentioned that the presence of the spring actually causes some (potential?) conflict with reliably keeping the action open once the slide is released and pulled back, so while the spring alleviates one issue it adds another (that is potentially more dangerous).  as i understand it, this is why current US-market models do not have the spring installed (well, that and the fact that it interferes with the laser/light combo.)
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length