Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 05:30:06 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  charging handle etiquette
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: charging handle etiquette  (Read 725 times)
tavor hollow

« on: July 09, 2017, 10:45:49 AM »

I'm sure there is a reason for left or right handed charge handle positions I have a preference to my trigger hand side, so I'm right handed and I like the handle on the right side because for me it is a stronger more direct. Bone and muscle ergonomics. Also if I come off the charger to hard or slip I'm not going to hit myself in the face distract or disorient myself from focus.we could argue 2 side reload manipulation but to me its a moot point.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 03:09:51 PM »

Regardless what side the charging handle is on, I use my non dominant hand.  That way you can shoot one handed if need be, and it is faster.  Just like when you charge an actual pistol.  I also train to load and charge pistols one handed, and if need be I could do the same with a rifle.

I shot AK's a ton before I got any professional training, and learning the underhanded left hand charge on an AK is actually very similar muscle memory to charging any weapon system rifle or pistol.  Basically my left hand is always charging in a similar muscle memory.  I have been qualifying with firearms for my job for a few years now, and currently I have to qualify a shooting course annually with pistols, rifles, and shotguns.  With each of these systems( pistol, rifle, shotgun,) we are taught to use our nondominant hand to manipulate reloads or malfunctions while maintaining our dominant hand constant contact on the pistol grip unless shouldering(sling carry position) the firearm.

I have never had any professional training that taught me to charge with my dominant hand unless I was shooting with my non dominant hand ( for example the only time I charge with my right hand is if I am shooting left handed ).
Although still, we were trained more to transition from left to right, and pretty much never charge with our non dominant hands.  The thought process is your strong side should have control of the tool as much as possible.  The non dominant side training was for if our dominant side were injured.  I could go on about this forever so I am going to cut myself short before I ramble too much.

That is just my experience, in the end do whatever works for you broski, for all I know your training could be superior to mine.   One thing that was really hard for a lot of guys including myself is unlearning bad habits.  During training it would be common to see the beginners pick up really fast, while the good ol boys struggled to unlearn old habits.

If you would ever like some training feel free to send me a PM, we could meet up free of charge and I would be willing to share some things that I have learned.  Just bring your own ammo.

Hopefully that doesn't sound condescending or anything, just sharing my thoughts on the subject.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 03:25:43 PM by RabbitSlayer » Logged

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 03:38:27 PM »

Right handers generally tend to prefer the CH on the left side of the rifle with most popular bullpups, but honestly it can be up to preference also.  Since most bullpups are going to employ a charging rod to reach the bolt, ambi operation is very common.

I like mine on the left, and I'm right handed.  If speed and muscle memory is critical, training and practice with either method will work fine.  On my AR with a side charger, I like a right side charging handle.  In the AR's case, however, the bolt handle is right by my trigger hand, and it feels right for me to have it there.  Many side charging AR right handers like handle on the left.  As long as familiarity, practice, and training are applied, it's up to the shooter to choose.

And as far as charging handle location goes, you can open up another field of choices with the shape and size of the handle itself.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 03:40:20 PM by TNC » Logged
paulky_2000

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 10:24:12 PM »

I'm not sure about the SAR, but on the X95....you do not have a choice but to run the charging handle on the side that's dictated by the bolt (right or left-handed) that you are running.

If you run a right-handed bolt, the CH must run on the left side of the rifle. If you run a left-handed bolt, the CH must run on the right side of the rifle.

You can not simply decide to switch it from one side to the other. It will bind up the entire action and severe damage to the charging rod will occur.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:25:48 PM by paulky_2000 » Logged
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 10:49:22 PM »

I'm not sure about the SAR, but on the X95....you do not have a choice but to run the charging handle on the side that's dictated by the bolt (right or left-handed) that you are running.

If you run a right-handed bolt, the CH must run on the left side of the rifle. If you run a left-handed bolt, the CH must run on the right side of the rifle.

You can not simply decide to switch it from one side to the other. It will bind up the entire action and severe damage to the charging rod will occur.

Learn something new everyday.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 03:39:02 AM by RabbitSlayer » Logged

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 09:31:04 AM »

I have dual handles on my X95 that is configured for right hand ejection with no binding. I would therefore assume that it would work with just either the right or left charging handle. Did you (like I initially did) forget to take out the roll pin from the right side slot in the bolt carrier for the rod to seat in correctly? I had to take a delron punch and a mallet to the bolt carrier through the ejection port to get in all unfubared before I noticed the roll pin in the carrier.

AE
tavor hollow

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 08:23:13 PM »

My training has been lacking over the years. Never enough time or money. We do have a couple of trainers close by that have their own approaches both professional. So atleast I have big back yard and can shoot day or night. So I guess I'm a backyard shooter.so using my dominant hand to charge gun if I have to I can keep it shouldered without bobbling of target. I will reload left handed.shooting tula one day timer beeps come up and click no bang a eye opener as these things go.I had a holster for a xdm that would drop my mag when it come out.....eekk. sometimes I stop but we are supposed to carry on , ammo I need more ammo!
paulky_2000

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 12:53:48 AM »

I have dual handles on my X95 that is configured for right hand ejection with no binding. I would therefore assume that it would work with just either the right or left charging handle. Did you (like I initially did) forget to take out the roll pin from the right side slot in the bolt carrier for the rod to seat in correctly? I had to take a delron punch and a mallet to the bolt carrier through the ejection port to get in all unfubared before I noticed the roll pin in the carrier.

AE

Can you please post some photos of this roll pin, please? Because I followed the manual to the letter....and watched some videos on the process and was quite certain I moved all the pins to the proper sides.

But, when the CH was left on the left-hand side...it would pull back about 3 inches and become hopelessly bound up and I'd have to butt-stroke it to release....and the process left a horrible, 2" gouge in the CH rod.

Once moved to the opposite side...it worked perfectly.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length