Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2017, 12:39:55 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR
| | |-+  Who has gotten impatient/tired of waiting and bought something else?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Who has gotten impatient/tired of waiting and bought something else?  (Read 3193 times)
ammomans

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 10:32:52 PM »

I picked up a couple 5.56 MCXs.  A pistol and a rifle, with a 300 BO barrel for the pistol.  Something fun to hold me over until my MDR.  I looked at the X95, but the magazine is too close to the pistol grip for me.  The MDR pictures show a lot more space.  I haven't looked at the Tavor 7 yet, but that work if it comes out before the MDR.

Speaking of which, I really hope DT does not rush the MDR out just to get to market before the Tavor 7.  I'm fine waiting a few more months, but I doubt they will give us any realistic timelines...
EWTHeckman

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 10:20:12 AM »

Yesterday I had a chance to shoot a Tavor and I passed. Does that make me an MDR fanboy?

Actually, I was mostly busy with helping others shoot my own toys. Still, I wasn't that interested.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 10:45:08 AM »

Yesterday I had a chance to shoot a Tavor and I passed. Does that make me an MDR fanboy?

Actually, I was mostly busy with helping others shoot my own toys. Still, I wasn't that interested.

I've handled the Tavor before, but it just didn't do anything for me and suffers from the same problem that a lot of Israeli accessory parts suffer from; they look like toys or militarized NERF accessories with all the rakish angles, protrusions, and attempts to look "cool" or "tactical".  I guess I prefer more utilitarian designs.

Kurt
Mr__Coffee

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 10:56:05 AM »

I called and changed my order to an SRS covert June 12, 2017. So now I am on a different wait list.....
Chief Master

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 11:36:17 AM »

The MDR is going to be my first long gun. My wife and I have pistols, but no rifles/shotguns yet. I (mostly) convinced her of the utility of a semi-auto rifle, and we agreed to get one. So I ordered an MDR in 5.56 last July because it looks like everything I want in a rifle (aside from that little thing called availability).

I've been tempted many times to just cancel my order and get a nice AR or a Tavor, but both of those platforms lack some characteristics of the MDR that I want (compactness, caliber interchangeability, forward ejection, or accuracy). If I get a different rifle, however, it will be a couple of years before my budget and marital harmony will support purchasing a $2k+ MDR. As much as I want a rifle right now, it's worth it to me to wait for the rifle I really want. But man, it can be pretty tough to stick it out sometimes.
thehun

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2017, 12:04:18 PM »

You will probably wait quite some time for the 5.56 variant from the looks of things. DT is releasing the 308 first and have not mentioned the 5.56 in a long time.
Chief Master

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2017, 12:42:13 PM »

You will probably wait quite some time for the 5.56 variant from the looks of things. DT is releasing the 308 first and have not mentioned the 5.56 in a long time.

Right. The most recent info I saw was a forum member posting a day or two ago saying that he called DT and was told his 5.56 is currently expected to ship in September.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2017, 10:57:19 PM »

Absolutely!
45r

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 02:29:21 AM »

I bought the Aug.
Like it.
Don't need anything else.
It'll do anything any other BP will do and won't break.
Don't want a 308 BP.
Would like a 6.5 Grendel BP.
Torfer
^

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2017, 08:06:13 AM »

Why by something now... Its coming out in 2 weeks  Grin
Yeah, I caved and finally bought an over/under Smiley
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2017, 12:34:19 PM »

I'm tired of hearing how other people are fed up and how they plan to move on. If you are fed up move to a different area of the forum (or go to a different forum all together).

I just want to see MDR news, occasional speculation, and when it is released Reviews

Made this same remark in another thread they don't get it

It's simple - the two of you don't own or run the forum, and people have different opinions.  
Other threads are available - no one is forcing someone to click on a thread where the subject line is clearly evident for all before clicking into it.

RE: original topic.
No, haven't pulled funds yet for either the .308 or 5.56 MDR.  I was considering changing my BPF GB from the 5.56 to the .308 and swapping my Oakland $$ to 5.56 as I expect the BPF orders will go through first, but I never did get a response back from Oakland.

Already having an AUG + 9mm kit, there aren't that many rifles of that much appeal to me...not to mention there's another 1k+ per MDR for optics once they hopefully actually arrive.
I considered picking up a CZ Scorpion or SIG MPX for a bit, and would still like to get some hands-on with both of those, but again - what do they do that my AUG in 9mm doesn't?  

I might buy a Tavor if I came across one at a truly good $, but it would need to be cheap, as I've got more than enough hands-on with one, and for me, the AUG is far and away a better rifle (which my buddy with the Tavor also agrees with).
Tavor in .308?  Assuming the MDR makes it into actual production and is reliable...I don't see the point.  

What I SHOULD have been doing, but let life get in the way of, was getting paperwork and suppressor(s) sorted.  Meh.  That's still on the list... :-/

I also still need a second AUG to keep both 9mm and 5.56 as separate rifles.  The conversion can be done very quickly, but the 9mm configuration just screams perfect bedside or truck gun, so would like to keep both configurations available...even if it means yet another $1K for another optic.  Been sort of waiting to see what happens with the Atrax before going down that path, but should sort it out this year.  (and please, no one revive the MDR w/Glock mag photoshop - really hope that happens, but obviously they really need to get the core rifle out and reliable FIRST..)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:43:42 PM by rtp » Logged
thehun

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2017, 05:33:07 PM »

I'd love to try an AUG at some point.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2017, 08:33:02 PM »

I'm tired of hearing how other people are fed up and how they plan to move on. If you are fed up move to a different area of the forum (or go to a different forum all together).

I just want to see MDR news, occasional speculation, and when it is released Reviews

Made this same remark in another thread they don't get it

It's simple - the two of you don't own or run the forum, and people have different opinions.  
Other threads are available - no one is forcing someone to click on a thread where the subject line is clearly evident for all before clicking into it.

That's fine to say, but it seems that no matter the thread, it devolves when the complainers arrive and start browbeating everyone with their belief that if you're still part of the GB or pre-purchase you're some sort of sucker or idiot because DT will *never* release the rifle.  I'm all for civil discourse, but it has to be a two way street.

Kurt
semper paratus
^
Bullpup Fanatic

Always Ready - even 4 the - zombie apocalypse

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2017, 11:35:36 PM »

a couple of years ago I started a thread asking for people to pick a release date --- one picked Feb. 29th.  I asked him if it was for this year or 4 years from now - he LOL--- he might not be that far off if things continue  Grin
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2017, 12:55:51 AM »

Who has gotten impatient/tired of waiting and bought something else?

not as impatient now that i'm trying to track down the x95 locally.  i'm wanting it to be my go to for home defense...so i'm thinking the surefire m300 with dual switch along with the new vortex amg uh-1 (my LGS is a vortex vendor - end of month hopefully)...savvy sling...afg2...should be good to go.

i didn't preorder the MDR...not the preordering type.  i prefer to see how it's received, reviews and community feedback that typically suss out any issues if any with a new firearm.  funding is there though so i'm locked and loaded for it.  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:58:52 AM by HBeretta » Logged
OldFamilyRed

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2017, 04:46:05 AM »

I finally broke down, violated my "never Kel-Tec again" policy and picked up an RDB when I found out how much less expensive they were than I expected.

I fully blame Frostburg, HBeretta, Tim from MAC, and one of my friends who kept letting me shoot his.

Of course, with my typical KT experiment luck, I received it a few days ago, unboxed it, and broke it within a couple of minutes.

I fondled it, slapped in a mag, and ran the charging handle. The bolt failed to lock in place upon return, the trigger is slack, and the charging handle slides freely back and forth.

I was too disappointed and have been too busy to investigate further. I'm not sure I want to begin taking apart and troubleshooting a new rifle, but I dislike the thought of having to send it back to KT. I guess I'll call KT on Monday and see if it needs to go back to Cocoa for some Florida R&R.

Hopefully, my RDB experience will improve going forward.

HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2017, 09:44:27 AM »

I finally broke down, violated my "never Kel-Tec again" policy and picked up an RDB when I found out how much less expensive they were than I expected.

I fully blame Frostburg, HBeretta, Tim from MAC, and one of my friends who kept letting me shoot his.

Of course, with my typical KT experiment luck, I received it a few days ago, unboxed it, and broke it within a couple of minutes.

I fondled it, slapped in a mag, and ran the charging handle. The bolt failed to lock in place upon return, the trigger is slack, and the charging handle slides freely back and forth.

I was too disappointed and have been too busy to investigate further. I'm not sure I want to begin taking apart and troubleshooting a new rifle, but I dislike the thought of having to send it back to KT. I guess I'll call KT on Monday and see if it needs to go back to Cocoa for some Florida R&R.

Empty or loaded mag when fondling your RDB?  Empty will give the floating charging handle and no trigger pull until you close the bolt...all this after charging on empty mag.
Ascinder
^

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2017, 09:49:29 AM »

Someone should start a company producing aftermarket product fixes and upgrades for Keltec. I have the PMR30 and so far it has ran great, but the slide release(which Keltec says isn't a slide release) is a cheap dinky plastic piece. Numerous people have reported it breaking and becoming lost. It's such a small piece that would cost very little to stamp out of heavy guage sheetmetal. Also they need a different mag release for that gun or a way to make it a little more firm.

IiRC the KSG had issues with the foregrip breaking, especialky when a VFG was installed. Why not make it out of aluminum? A lot of of Keltecs issues seem to be plastic parts trying to do the jobs of metal ones and not quite making it.
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2017, 07:16:52 PM »

Wait, what happened? If you inserted an empty mag and worked the action, as Hberetta stated, then the charging handle will remain slack until you send the bolt home. If the bolt failed to lock open and was thus closed, then the spring tension should have kept the charging handle fixed forward. The trigger should have not been slack. I'm sorry this happened to you. The RDB is normally a dream to shoot. I suspect there may be operator error involved here, or you just got a bad luck RDB. The empty magazine you used may not have activated the bolt hold open.  I hope your problem gets resolved.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:32:51 PM by Frostburg » Logged
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2017, 11:43:13 PM »

Someone should start a company producing aftermarket product fixes and upgrades for Keltec. I have the PMR30 and so far it has ran great, but the slide release(which Keltec says isn't a slide release) is a cheap dinky plastic piece. Numerous people have reported it breaking and becoming lost. It's such a small piece that would cost very little to stamp out of heavy guage sheetmetal. Also they need a different mag release for that gun or a way to make it a little more firm.

IiRC the KSG had issues with the foregrip breaking, especialky when a VFG was installed. Why not make it out of aluminum? A lot of of Keltecs issues seem to be plastic parts trying to do the jobs of metal ones and not quite making it.

Yeah, Keltec definitely needs to work on their QC. I've heard that they have made improvements to recent iterations of the RDB, but obviously work still needs to be done. I would, however, still like to see aftermarket support for the RDB. There are a few things I think can be improved; mainly the gas adjust needs to have more distinct settings, they should be marked, and ideally there should be a way to lock each setting in place. I would also like to see the bolt release button redesigned. I feel like some quality GHW products would be very welcome lol. I wonder if any garage engineers could whip something up, or even make a 3D printed prototype of some parts. Eventually, getting the barrel free floated would be awesome, but I'm not that concerned about that one. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length