Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 05:26:40 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  trijicon sucks!
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: trijicon sucks!  (Read 1641 times)
tavor hollow

« on: June 24, 2017, 09:43:53 PM »

Well I bit the bullet and upped my optic.saying trijicon sucks is slightly heavy handed statement,  but I am greatly disappointed in them right now. Maybe I'll get over it but initial impression is way less than satisfied. Almost 4 years I have had a tr24 1-4 fiberoptic riding on my tavor it is fantastic, but I wanted more power and a precision reticle ,so rs27 seemed the ticket.I got a good deal as far as these go. Its not mounted yet so maybe I'm jumping the gun, but 2 important things light transmission seems lower and the eye box seems disappointingly small. Also I miss the fiber optic.when will our industries get something right.
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 01:18:07 AM »

My TA31RCO is the best optic I have. When I was in a tight spot back in January, I sold my X95 rather than the ACOG. No regrets. Trijicon makes some of the best optics on the planet. Even the best musicians hit a wrong note from time to time.

Sounds like you need to find another scope. Return it and keep looking, unless you think you can get used to it. It looks like it has a nice reticle.

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
Omnislug

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 01:51:45 AM »

from my experience Trijicon is AMAZING, some of the clearest optics I've seen ever. They do have a chart on the eye relief/all the specs on each one. free catalog or on their site. There are several with really small eye relief, and some that is basically non existent huge. If it weren't for the price I'd have one on every one of my guns.
I agree with BellatorInvictus , it sucks you got one that's not working for you but they most likely have one that will, good news is you can probably sell it.
BoulderTroll

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 03:35:59 AM »

I've been a die hard Aimpoint fan for many years, on many weapon platforms.  The Trijicon MRO won me over completely.  It costs less than most Aimpoints, has a better field of view, is smaller, lighter, and has better controls.  I will never buy another red dot besides the MRO.

My TA11H-G ACOG is a phenomenal scope, as have been the other ACOGs I've had.  The sight picture is great, outstanding eye relief, robust build, crystal clear glass, and brilliant reticle design.  

After having owned optics by EOTech, Aimpoint, Trijicon, Nightforce, US Optics, etc., I can say without reservation that Trijicon make the best combat optics in the world.  

Sorry you weren't happy with the model you chose.  And on that note, variable power scopes are not known for having a wide eye relief range...and you are asking a lot to have great light transmission in an 8 power scope with a 28mm objective.  I understand that you were just trying to grab attention with your thread title, but I think it's only fair to keep in mind that the two Trijicons you're basing your opinion on are not the flagship line of what made the company great.  The company's reputation was built on rugged, low power combat optics, and there are none finer.  I hope you weren't expecting S&B Short Dot type performance.  There's a reason that when I need a variable power scope I choose Nightforce, and not Trijicon.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 03:49:01 AM by BoulderTroll » Logged
Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 08:47:33 AM »

Well I bit the bullet and upped my optic.saying trijicon sucks is slightly heavy handed statement,  but I am greatly disappointed in them right now. Maybe I'll get over it but initial impression is way less than satisfied. Almost 4 years I have had a tr24 1-4 fiberoptic riding on my tavor it is fantastic, but I wanted more power and a precision reticle ,so rs27 seemed the ticket.I got a good deal as far as these go. Its not mounted yet so maybe I'm jumping the gun, but 2 important things light transmission seems lower and the eye box seems disappointingly small. Also I miss the fiber optic.when will our industries get something right.
How can you say an optic sucks if you haven't Mounted it yet?
tavor hollow

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 08:51:34 AM »

Like I said my tr24 is fantastic.the fiber optic triangle draws your eye to target and the eye box is huge more than just forgiving. It is almost like the fiber optic helps ad light to the tube and see into the shadows better. Maybe when I mount the 1-8 it will give me more consistent eye position to compare eye box size, but I think it will be smaller.the ffp reticle is what I like. The moa vs.mil debate still haunts me but I've been using mil on my ffp Vortex x10 &x16. So I got mil. I really want this to work for me usually I tell people a good optic( trijicon) gives me visual orgasm.don't take that word literally maybe I should say such joy.so its close but I expected better.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 09:00:31 AM »

I'd rather buy a vortex optic for a fraction of the cost, even yes for a shtf or duty rifle.   Aimpoint, Trijicon, Eotech, and Leopold all ask for name brand premiums. 
To be honest with my astigmatism, the vortex strike eagle looks more crisp than the Acog for me.

No way I'm going to fork out 1000$ for an optic that looks like it has a fuzzy reticle with my eyes, when I could pay 300 for a reticle that looks perfect. 
Vortex optics are tough, and they have a warranty that will replace any damage.  Their warranty literally says if you drop it off a cliff they will replace it for free.  They also officer military and police discounts.

It's a no brainer.

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 09:45:48 AM »

The cheaper Vortex scopes are meh... ok I guess. There edge clarity is no where near Trijicons spectacular glass. The variable 1-4x trijicons are literally a 15+ year design.

Their VCOG is their true interpretation of a variable scope but you pay for it big time $$$.

I love both my TA11 and MRO, I would sell some of my firearms before the triji's if I ever needed money.

I don't blame you for wanting to try another brand because your current scope isn't working out for you. I would however avoid the lower to mid level Vortex because their HD line is in a whole separate class. Vortex HD's make their cheaper scopes look like toys. Go for the 1-4 or even better their 1-6. You get the spectacular glass with the best warranty around.
Rastoff

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 12:01:39 PM »

Maybe when I mount the 1-8 it will give me more consistent eye position to compare eye box size, but I think it will be smaller.
What do you mean by "eye box." Are you just talking about eye relief or the effective size of the ocular lens?

I'm asking because an 8x scope will have a smaller effective ocular diameter than a 4x scope. Here's how it works: take the objective and divide it by the magnification and you get effective ocular size (the area you must hold your eye in to be in the center of the scope). So, for the TR24, at 4x, the effective ocular is 6mm. For the RS27, at 8x, the effective ocular size is 3.5mm; almost half the size of the TR24. So, yeah, it's going to seem smaller.

If I had that scope, it would be set to 3x or 4x most of the time. This is why I have a TA33 on my X95.

Further, by not having it mounted on the rifle, it's extremely hard to hold the scope in the proper place. Get it mounted up and then tell us how it is.

Trijicon is definitely one of the best companies out there. Their products are amazingly tough and clear. I have 3 of their optics and will buy more, but I don't have any of their variable magnification optics. I love the ACOG. The MRO and RMR are amazing as well.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
Rastoff

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 12:04:20 PM »

One more thing...

I'm also a big fan of Vortex. Their discount for veterans is truly amazing. I've owned three of their scopes and been really satisfied. Currently I have a RAZOR Gen II 3-18x50 and a Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP. These are fantastic scopes and I wouldn't hesitate to get one again. They're not cheap though.

Freedom isn't free.
tavor hollow

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 01:08:49 PM »

I got lucky about 1.5 years back and got the vortex pst4-16 ffp for $500 new off Amazon. My 1-4or 1-6 or now 1-8 all are set on 1x until I shoot over 100 yards.the eye box I was referring to is the side to side shadowing at1x is where im disappointed in the eye box.on my tr24 at1x is so forgiving nothing compares so far.I have 4 vortex they're OK my least favorite being strike eagle but its OK.1-4 PST is OK its on a ar9 mm sometimes I dial it for 300 yards for fun. My 2.5-10 x32 ffp is on a 5.56 its nice but I'm iffy on the ffp. Anyways I just hope the 1-8 will be as good as the 1-4tr24. I really use these as red dots that have built in magnification. And the 1-8 on 8 I want to place shots better.most of this 1-8 is like they asked what I wanted and made it.scope mount should be in Wednesday. Eeeeeee!
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 01:18:37 PM »

I've been a die hard Aimpoint fan for many years, on many weapon platforms.  The Trijicon MRO won me over completely.  It costs less than most Aimpoints, has a better field of view, is smaller, lighter, and has better controls.  I will never buy another red dot besides the MRO.

I have the opposite experience with the mro,  it is small with a nice field of view.  But it tints everything extremely blue, and the fisheye effect is worse than my variable power scopes.

The aimpoint is clearer and has no fisheye effect.

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 01:23:38 PM »

I also agree op needs to mount the scope first.  I suggest loosely putting it on, and keep adjusting till eye relief is good then tighten.  While adjusting walk around and shoulder the rifle naturally to see if eye relief is correct.  Don't adjust your head for eye relief, adjust where the scope is mounted and use the natural cheek weld each time.

-Thomas Jefferson
tavor hollow

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 01:36:56 PM »

Yep at 1x optic to eye. 8x eye to optic, because probably trying to place shot at 8x.
Rastoff

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 04:50:00 PM »

Part of the issue is the extreme range of magnification. It's extremely uncommon to have a scope multiplier of 8. Even 6 is less common. 4 is the most common multiplier hence, 4-16x is so common. Because of this tremendous range, there will be some collimation effects.

Once you get it mounted I'm sure it will be better. I'm also sure you'll like the 1-4 better just because it will have less of the effect you're seeing.

Personally I need the magnification. When I had the Viper PST 1-4x24, I almost always left it on 4x. I've come to the realization that that is where I will use it and have switched to the fixed magnification of the ACOG. I don't see myself going back. The other reason I almost never used a variable scope at 1x is because no scope is truly 1x. There is always some magnification and distortion there. So, for a gun that I'm sure I'll only use to 50 yards or so, I'd always go with a straight red dot.

That's just me blabbering though. I'm sure you'll love the new scope. Trijicon really is a great company.

Freedom isn't free.
tavor hollow

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 06:08:43 AM »

Well yesterday I got it mounted and sighted in.I think ill get used to it.ads wieght till you shoulder it.pulling up the turret caps is a challenge they have quit the vacuum from grease and o-rings.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 05:32:14 PM »

Personally I need the magnification. When I had the Viper PST 1-4x24, I almost always left it on 4x.

On my 1-4 and 1-6 scopes, I leave them on 1x or 1.5x magnification, and only zoom in when I need to.  Honestly, on 1x I am just about as fast as I am with a red dot, especially on rapid follow up shots.  But once you get past a hundred yards or so, that magnification is priceless.  I blast a lot of varmints with an AR that has a 1-6 scope, and it's really all I need.  The only reason I would want more magnification is for target shooting and testing home made reloads.  In my experience hunting, if a deer or elk is 500 yards away, you are better off trying to get closer rather than take the shot.   Most stories I hear about people hitting a critter at that kind of range goes something like '' I shot this elk at 600 yards with my 300 Magnum, and it just wounded it and got away ''.    Personally I've never been able to land a shot at that kind of range, because it's not like I have a bench and sandbags out there in the wilderness.
Then there are '' those guys'' who always have stories of shooting a huge buck at 1000 yards, and those are the guys whom I always consider to be full of sh*t.

-Thomas Jefferson
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 05:54:29 PM »

Well yesterday I got it mounted and sighted in.I think ill get used to it.ads wieght till you shoulder it.pulling up the turret caps is a challenge they have quit the vacuum from grease and o-rings.

My biggest problem has always been mounting the scope to the proper eye relief.  If you find yourself moving your head when your rifle is shouldered to get the proper eye relief, then you need to remount your scope.  Your natural cheekweld and shouldering of the rifle should put your eye in the perfect eye relief for the scope without having to move your head.

Adjusting that has always been the biggest issue for me.  But once you get it mounted just right, your scope will be just about as fast as a red dot at 1x.

-Thomas Jefferson
BoulderTroll

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 08:07:41 PM »

My biggest problem has always been mounting the scope to the proper eye relief.  If you find yourself moving your head when your rifle is shouldered to get the proper eye relief, then you need to remount your scope.  Your natural cheekweld and shouldering of the rifle should put your eye in the perfect eye relief for the scope without having to move your head.

Adjusting that has always been the biggest issue for me.  But once you get it mounted just right, your scope will be just about as fast as a red dot at 1x.

Magpul Dymanics video series, "Art of the Precision Rifle" has great advice on this issue.  I tried it and it's worked excellent for me.  They recommend you get your rifle on the ground on a bipod/ bag (whatever you plan to shoot it off), and then get behind it and get into your perfect, comfortable firing position and cheek weld, all without the scope on your rifle.  Once you're settled in, close your eyes and mount the scope (or better yet, have someone else mount it).  When you open your eyes, stay in the exact position you're in, and move the scope until you have the perfect sight picture.  Then tighten it down and repeat the process to double check you aren't moving or straining any muscles.

The method is obviously for a precision rifle, but I found you can do the exact same thing for standing/ bench/ etc., whatever position you do most of your shooting from.  The key is to have your eyes closed, otherwise you will subconsciously move your head to make the scope placement work and then tell yourself it's all good.  
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:10:26 PM by BoulderTroll » Logged
tavor hollow

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 08:40:51 PM »

Its kind of weird but all of my 300 yard shooting ( medium short range) I shoot off the roof of my truck. I don't have a shooting station set up so its kind of mobile command.( civilian joke) I like it I don't feel lazy but it would be nice to sit or go prone.might make some better shots.if I could shoot 500 out I just like the capability. Sometimes enough to get by is great when you know you'll never be the best at anything. I strive for the meaning of the word amateur it is one of the highest compliments ever...for the love of it.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length