Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 01:40:39 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  Tavor SAR Thin Buttplate
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Poll
Question: As of now I'm am sending the solid works files to those who request them.
Yes, the SBR version/without protrusion.
Yes, the NFA compliant/version with protrusion.
No, other reasons.
No, due to cost.  
No, due to design or materials.

Author Topic: Tavor SAR Thin Buttplate  (Read 4493 times)
Jwill

« on: June 20, 2017, 10:55:13 PM »

I have been thinking about it and decided to get busy drawing this up so I can have it 3D printed for test fitting and ergonomics. That being said I want to get it made out of aluminum and type 3 hard anodized and wanted to see if there was any interests from others as cost will be cheaper the more that are ordered.
Other than the protrusion at the top for length requirements it is half the thickness of the Manticore butt-pad for over 75% of its length with the bottom being 1/8" thick increasing a bit over .3" before the protrusion which begins extending at the top 1 1/8" approximately. For those looking for the shortest possible length of pull this is it even without minimum length requirements the butt plate would still be .25" thick due the polymer buffer which protrudes 1/8" outside of the stock.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:49:09 AM by Jwill » Logged
Sdevante
^

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 11:11:26 PM »

I've had a similar idea before but decided to just braze the brake on. You may want to consider making the length extension extend a bit lower as the ATF measures "on a line parallel to the axis of the bore," which sounds like it runs through the barrel. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-2/download. I'd at least spend a little time researching what that term means to make sure you don't inadvertently create an SBR.

And....these NFA laws are dumb.
Jwill

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 02:11:49 AM »

More pics

* Tavor Buttplate 2.JPG (96.53 KB, 1468x942 - viewed 157 times.)

* tavor 4.JPG (98.79 KB, 1468x942 - viewed 123 times.)
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 02:13:17 AM »

I think that will make it too short on a 16" Tavor
Jwill

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 02:14:13 AM »

The maximum thickness is 1 3/16" at the top for those who are concerned about not meeting the 26" minimum length requirement. My Manticore butt pad measures 1 1/8" approximately at the thickest portion.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:36:51 AM by Jwill » Logged
Sdevante
^

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 09:09:58 AM »

The maximum thickness is 1 3/16" at the top for those who are concerned about not meeting the 26" minimum length requirement. My Manticore butt pad measures 1 1/8" approximately at the thickest portion.

My point was that your design will meet the length requirement at the very top of the rifle, but I don't think that's where ATF measures length from.
azklaus

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 09:44:43 AM »

So I believe the upper portion is legitimate for ATF measurement which is why Manticore does their curved buttpad:
https://www.manticorearms.com/tavor-curved-buttpad.html
paulky_2000

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 11:35:25 AM »

Stupid law for stupid people that was created by people living in stupid states.

Just be grateful that they don't reach further than they do.
Jwill

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 12:17:34 PM »

Let me address this, the law is written that measurements are to be take parallel to the bore so that people don't take a diagonal measurement; for example from the end of the muzzle to the bottom of the butt plate where a 25.5" overall length with a stock that extends 5.25" below the barrel would measure a little over 26" using the Pythagorean theorem.

Let's put this nfa topic to rest and get back to what any you think of my design I'm looking for opinions or ideas to improve it.
paulky_2000

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 12:24:52 PM »

Let me address this, the law is written that measurements are to be take parallel to the bore so that people don't take a diagonal measurement; for example from the end of the muzzle to the bottom of the butt plate where a 25.5" overall length with a stock that extends 5.25" below the barrel would measure a little over 26" using the Pythagorean theorem.

Let's put this nfa topic to rest and get back to what any you think of my design I'm looking for opinions or ideas to improve it.

I LOVE what you've designed! If it satisfies the 'tards that created and enforce the laws....then I wouldn't change a thing. What are YOUR thoughts on the model?
Jwill

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 12:54:52 PM »

There will be some more changes but appearance wise it will remain mostly the same, the changes made will be mostly to simplify machining in order to reduce cost of manufacture. Once I have the prototype model I will check fit and function then make any needed changes to the solidworks model.

If there is any interest I could do a version without the protrusion for those who have an sbr tax stamp, pinned 16" or an 18" barrel.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 01:01:26 PM by Jwill » Logged
paulky_2000

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 02:51:00 PM »

I already have the IWI thin butt-plate.....so anything you have for testing.....I'd love to see!
BoulderTroll

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »

I like the design.  I use an 18" barrel, so a version without the top hook is what would appeal to me most.

I'm having a little difficulty picturing it from your description...I like that you are using aluminum construction, but is it entirely aluminum, or is there a thin rubber pad or rubberized coating?  I'd think that solid aluminum, even if you machined the texture on the butt, would be a little slick when shouldering.  It would also be much colder in chilly weather. 
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 05:52:26 PM »

I like the design.  I use an 18" barrel, so a version without the top hook is what would appeal to me most.

I'm having a little difficulty picturing it from your description...I like that you are using aluminum construction, but is it entirely aluminum, or is there a thin rubber pad or rubberized coating?  I'd think that solid aluminum, even if you machined the texture on the butt, would be a little slick when shouldering.  It would also be much colder in chilly weather. 

Fwiw, I have a few guns with metal but plates, mainly AK's, and i've never had a problem with them slipping around in my shoulder.  I've never noticed them being cold on my shoulder in the winter as well.

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 05:53:22 PM »

(snip)

And....these NFA laws are dumb.

+1

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
dntam

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 07:38:44 PM »

Why not just sell a "triangle" part to permanently attach a piece to a thin butt plate. If it's permanently attached I would assume it is legal.
Practicool

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 08:34:59 PM »

I would definitely be interested in one for my SAR, without protrusion if possible.
Jwill

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 09:15:36 PM »

If you scroll up I attached pictures of the where I'm at with the model and you can see what texture it will have to keep from slipping, and there will be two versions.
Jwill

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 09:25:29 PM »

Why not just sell a "triangle" part to permanently attach a piece to a thin butt plate. If it's permanently attached I would assume it is legal.

I'm not doing it for the money  Cheesy I just want to do one for my rifle and if others want one and I can recoup some the cost then its a win win. I just prefer to make it one piece and it will be cheaper to make that way.

RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 09:38:57 PM »

I'm not doing it for the money  Cheesy I just want to do one for my rifle and if others want one and I can recoup some the cost then its a win win. I just prefer to make it one piece and it will be cheaper to make that way.

If you made something like that for the x95 i'd be interesting in buying it!

Edit : I asked a question to which there was already an answer in this thread.  Sounds legit!

-Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length