Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2017, 06:37:52 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  300 Blackout Tavor Brass Abuse
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 300 Blackout Tavor Brass Abuse  (Read 849 times)
Tysonjb

« on: June 13, 2017, 10:38:59 PM »

I have fired about 200 rounds though my new 300 blackout tavor and I went to reload the brass and noticed I have serious ejector marks on it.  The rim looks good with no marks from the extractor but I have a very pronounced ejector smear on both factory and reloaded ammo.  To be fair this is 110 grain reloads which are middle of the road for pressure, but still about 1.5 grains under max for H110.  My 300 blackout ar15 shoots these fine and does not mark up the brass.  The tavor also makes the necks D shaped which I don't mind.

Is anyone else having this issue.  I did not try it, but I was considering switching the gas setting to suppressed to see if that helps any.  

* Case Head 1.jpg (17.39 KB, 264x266 - viewed 55 times.)
RabbitSlayer

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 01:37:36 PM »

Definetly try the gas setting, but that is a very odd mark for brass.  My 556 chambered tavor doesnt do that, but does sligjtly dent cass mouths.  If you get rubber door sealant tape and put it on the brass deflector it will help with the case mouths.  I do that on AKs as well with great results.  However the case mouths always center out during resizing.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 10:05:56 AM »

Yeah, the "D" dent on the case mouth can be quite common on 300BO, even suppressed rounds and in other platforms like AR's.  The resizing process takes care of that without really stressing your brass. 

The case head definitely seems to show an aggressive ejection swipe due to overgassing.  I'm not familiar with the gas setup on the Tavor 300BO gas block.  Does it provide an adjustment or alternate position for reducing gas?  Haven't kept up with the features on the 300.
Tysonjb

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 11:25:12 AM »

It is a 2 position setup, one for super and one for sub sonic.  I guess it wont hurt it to run it under suppressed setting with super sonics.
RabbitSlayer

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 03:39:13 PM »

Were you shooting suppressed ?

If shooting any load type either super or sub I would recommend the lower gas setting on basically any rifle type. 
RabbitSlayer

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 03:42:44 PM »

It is a 2 position setup, one for super and one for sub sonic.  I guess it wont hurt it to run it under suppressed setting with super sonics.

Are you sure the gas settings aren't for supressed and unsupressed?   

The unsupressed gas setting would allow more gas, and if using that setting with a suppressor you would be getting overgassed which could cause funny things to happen to your brass.
RabbitSlayer

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 03:50:06 PM »

The case head definitely seems to show an aggressive ejection swipe due to overgassing. 

I agree with this thought.

Tysonjb

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 07:12:07 AM »

It is for suppressed/unsuppressed.  Not sure why I said super/sub.  I was not using a can though.  I will try it out on the supressed setting and report back.  I am guessing it will be way over gassed if using a can.
RabbitSlayer

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 04:56:43 PM »

It is for suppressed/unsuppressed.  Not sure why I said super/sub.  I was not using a can though.  I will try it out on the supressed setting and report back.  I am guessing it will be way over gassed if using a can.

You know, as I sit here and think about it I don't think that it's over gassed especially if you're not using a suppressor right now, just because I've shot guns that are way over gassed and I've never seen those ejector marks before.

I suggest you check out your ejector, the spring could be too stuff, maybe a burr or something causing it not to sit flush. 
I bet it's sitting about a half mm  higher then the rest of the bolt face.

Maybe all you will need to do is take it out, and reinstall it.  I'm sure iwi would be willing to fix it for free, this is definetly an odd  issue.  The guys at iwi are really cool.

Personally I would just either reinstall the ejector or put a new ejector in, and if that doesn't fix it just send it to iwi and they'll fix it for you.

My bad for thinking it was a gas issue, my money is on the ejector now.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 05:46:23 PM »

Does the 300 Tavor use dual ejectors?
Mindless-Focus

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 06:26:37 PM »

Yes
pretorian
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 06:37:22 PM »

Might be that one of the ejectors is out of spec(too long) or some material under the ejector sprin/ ejector that keeps the ejector protruding above the bolt face. Can you push the ejectors inn to a point they are flush with the bolt face?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 06:39:06 PM by pretorian » Logged

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward."
Tysonjb

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 11:26:12 PM »

I am out of town this weekend but will check and respond.  That makes complete sense though.  Thank you for the suggestion!
hunterdl10
New Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 04:35:07 PM »

The additional documentation for the X95 Blackout states that using a round less then 125 grains can cause cycling issues.  I know this is not related to the denting of mouth of the round. 

What type of ammo are you using?

I was using Fiocchi 125 Grain SST and I got dents every time on the mouth of those rounds.  I also ran into an issue were it would load 2 rounds, not load the round completely, etc. it caused the charger to get "stuck" all the way forward and it took a lot of effort to get that resolved and clear the 2 rounds from the chamber.  I read on other sites were people are having issues with certain ammo on all types of Blackout rifles.  I would think that IWI would have a list of preferred ammo. 

I tried to contact IWI support but that was 5 day ago and I never got a response. 
mshill

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 02:18:52 PM »

I was using Fiocchi 125 Grain SST and I got dents every time on the mouth of those rounds. 

The denting/flattening of the mouth of the 300blk case is common.  I get it on both my AR carbine and my AR pistol.
I wish so much that IWI would have done a 300blk conversion for the SAR... I don't want to have to buy the X95 to get a 300blk Tavor.
RabbitSlayer

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 06:19:57 PM »

I was using Fiocchi 125 Grain SST and I got dents every time on the mouth of those rounds. 

The denting/flattening of the mouth of the 300blk case is common. 

+1, it won't effect reloading the ammo either.  When you but the brass in the resizing die it will fix it with very little effort.   I reload tons of brass with dented case mouths, side walls, and shoulders  ( because I have a 5.56 AK  Grin.

Even though it is a non issue, you can alleviate it buy putting rubber door sealant tape on the brass deflector, it goes off and on very easily, but could possibly cause a jam here and there.  I only do that when I'm target shooting and picking up brass, I wouldn't suggest using the tape for duty use, becuase it's not like you would be picking up brass if you got in a shooting lol.

OP.   I would buy some spare ejectors from IWI, and just install them.  Or just take out your ejectors and clean them.  I'm willing to bet money one of your ejectors is either out of spec, or there is foreign debris blocking the ejector spring.

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length