Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 08:58:24 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  Magnified optic on your Tavor?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Magnified optic on your Tavor?  (Read 4737 times)
wyoung

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 01:49:08 PM »

I run a Mepro RDS with an Aimpoint 3x. I like it and the cheek weld is fine.
757_Magnum

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 12:15:57 AM »

Nice, it looks like that mount is a bit higher than the standard mounts, which would make it perfect for the Tavor's optic rail from my understanding.  Good lookin rig you got there. 
One of these days I really need to nut up and buy an ACOG.

Thanks!  As far as I know, only MI and Bobro/Trijicon make QD mounts that are the same height as the factory screw mount.  All the others like LaRue and American Defense are a little too low even on my ARs.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 06:58:13 PM »

I think I'm pretty much set on getting the Tr24 with red triangle reticle.  The eye relief, and 1x-4x feature are really appealing to me, considering the majority of my shots will be within 50 yards, and only a small portion past 150 yards realistically.  The only drawback is the lack of appealing hold over with that reticle, the traditional reticle has a much smaller tritium vial, so each has it's pro's and cons.  If I was going to take a 500 yard shot at a deer or antelope, I would easily have time to adjust a few clicks.  The thing is, I think it would be borderline unethical to take a shot at a deer past 400 yards, because there is no available 223 projectiles that are bonded which expand past 1700 fps.  Both soft point, and varmint ammo have an expand range to that point with nosler projectiles.

Here is probably how I will sight it in with my hand loads to maximize the effective use of the Triangle reticle.  ( calculated with an estimated 3.7'' sight over bore, using my 64gr bonded soft point reloads). 

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:00:57 PM by RabbitSlayer » Logged

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
Rastoff

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 05:25:26 PM »

Vortex gives a 40% discount to active duty and veterans.

My local gun store will let you mount any optic on your rifle to see if it works for you.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 05:36:24 PM »

Vortex gives a 40% discount to active duty and veterans.

My local gun store will let you mount any optic on your rifle to see if it works for you.

I have two vortex 1-4 scopes, and I do love them.  However, I do have some nice Leupold glass on my hunting rifles, and the difference in clarity is night and day.  After a while once my hard on for Vortex subsided, I realized this.   There is nothing wrong with Vortex, and I absolutely love them; however I think there is better glass out there.  For the price, I don't think Vortex can be beat, especially if you qualify for their discounts.  In fact, in the past 6 months, the majority of my shooting has been through vortex glass.

Something I noticed about Vortex discounts though, when I signed up for the 40% discount, the stores that utilize those discounts usually mark up their prices.  So for example when I was buying a Strike Eagle, I went to Experticity and ordered one for about 300$ and some change using the 40% discount, it was back ordered, and after a month I still didn't have a shipping number.  I cancelled my order, then looked around and found one NIB and ordered it without the discount for 330$.

But when I look at the price difference for Trijicon products, even though it is a 30% discount, I have noticed a much more dramatic effect on the legitimacy of the discount.  For example, I see accupoints for sale around the 900$ mark, but with the discount I see them for around 700$.

That is just my experience.

I need to check out some new gun shops, the ones I frequent never let me mount optics on a rifle to test them :/

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
Rastoff

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 02:09:06 AM »

Here's the thing about Vortex, they sell both low and high end optics.

The Strike Eagle is a low end optic. Sure, it's OK and does what they say, but compare it side by side with a Viper PST Gen II. Not even close in clarity.

The 40% discount is off of MSRP. Yes, that's like jacking up the price, but I still can't find a dealer that has a Vortex for a price lower than 40% off MSRP. For example, I was looking for a good scope for a long range rifle. The MSRP on the Vortex Razor HD Gen II is $3K, but I got it, shipped to my house, for $1,800. If you can find a better deal on this scope, buy it. And, I would put the Razor HD series up against any high end scope including US Optics, Nightforce and Schmidt & Bender.

That is not to say that Trijicon isn't a good scope; it is. There's a reason I have an ACOG on my X95. But where can you find a new Acupoint for $700? That's a screaming good deal! If I were looking for a scope, and the choice was between Trijicon and Vortex Razor, it would be a tough choice. The nod would probably go to the Trijicon because of their proven toughness in real battle.

There simply isn't a single magnified optic in the $500 or less range that I'd put on my X95. I want this rifle to be ready for self-defense. I may never actually use it for that, but if I ever do need it, the optics have to work perfectly the first time.

Because almost all the Trijicon ACOGs come with some kind of mount already attached, they should let you put it on your rifle in the store. I understand them not wanting you to mount rings to a new scope. That could mark up a new scope.

You're more than welcome to come shoot my gun any time.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2017, 05:43:41 AM »

Here's the thing about Vortex, they sell both low and high end optics.

The Strike Eagle is a low end optic. Sure, it's OK and does what they say, but compare it side by side with a Viper PST Gen II. Not even close in clarity.

The 40% discount is off of MSRP. Yes, that's like jacking up the price, but I still can't find a dealer that has a Vortex for a price lower than 40% off MSRP. For example, I was looking for a good scope for a long range rifle. The MSRP on the Vortex Razor HD Gen II is $3K, but I got it, shipped to my house, for $1,800. If you can find a better deal on this scope, buy it. And, I would put the Razor HD series up against any high end scope including US Optics, Nightforce and Schmidt & Bender.

That is not to say that Trijicon isn't a good scope; it is. There's a reason I have an ACOG on my X95. But where can you find a new Acupoint for $700? That's a screaming good deal! If I were looking for a scope, and the choice was between Trijicon and Vortex Razor, it would be a tough choice. The nod would probably go to the Trijicon because of their proven toughness in real battle.

There simply isn't a single magnified optic in the $500 or less range that I'd put on my X95. I want this rifle to be ready for self-defense. I may never actually use it for that, but if I ever do need it, the optics have to work perfectly the first time.

Because almost all the Trijicon ACOGs come with some kind of mount already attached, they should let you put it on your rifle in the store. I understand them not wanting you to mount rings to a new scope. That could mark up a new scope.

You're more than welcome to come shoot my gun any time.

I don't have time for a full response at this moment...

The deal on Trijicon I quoted is on Experticity. 

-Thomas Jefferson
Antonio198622
New Posting Member

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 11:57:49 PM »

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm older and my eyes are not as good as they used to be. I started with the Trijicon MRO and like it a lot, but I really need magnification if I'm going to shoot at 100 yards and beyond, and I do.

I also have very high cheek bones. While most are complaining that the rail on the Tavor is too low, it's too high for me. Normal scope and red dot optic mounts are far too high for me. When I mount the rifle using my cheekbone as an anchor point, I'm looking dead at the mount, not through the optic. So, I made it fit me:

I designed and printed a cheek riser. I milled a couple of clamps to hold it by the very end of the picatinny rail:

You'll also notice the offset RMR. That is a new addition that I'm testing. I feel pretty fast with the ACOG, but the RMR may be faster for closer shots. I'm not convinced I'll keep it, but you never know.

The cheek riser is what makes all the difference for me with the ACOG though. Without it, getting the proper eye relief and center wouldn't happen. But now that I have it, it's very fast. With both eyes open and fixed on the target, I can just pop the gun up and I'm almost centered on the target. A tiny adjustment and I'm hitting POA. I have to make the same adjustment with the RMR or MRO.

While I may take the RMR off, I'm keeping the magnified optic. I'm sure it's a shade slower than just a red dot. But, I'm not trying to win at the national level. I'm faster than most of the guys at my local club (they're even older and slower than me) and that's fast enough.
how did u like that off set rmr ... the gun shop by my house has a 4x acog with a rmr on top for 1600 but I heard that  that sits pretty high on a tavor
paulky_2000

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 11:35:22 AM »

how did u like that off set rmr ... the gun shop by my house has a 4x acog with a rmr on top for 1600 but I heard that  that sits pretty high on a tavor

Yeah...it will....

....but I suppose that for shots between 0-25 yards yards, you could just adjust it for a 25 yard zero. That would seems reasonable to me.....but may be horrible advice. Someone will be along shortly to correct me. Wink

RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 04:40:53 PM »

Yeah...it will....

....but I suppose that for shots between 0-25 yards yards, you could just adjust it for a 25 yard zero. That would seems reasonable to me.....but may be horrible advice. Someone will be along shortly to correct me. Wink

Actually not a bad Idea considering for longer shots you would be using the Acog.
Just remember if you zero the red dot at 25 yards, and it's sitting higher than the ACOG, the red dot will be shooting a foot or two high at 100-200 yards yards.
But that wouldn't matter because I'm sure anything past 50 yards or so the user would be using the ACOG and not the RMR.

Just fwiw.

Here is a ballistic table of a 25 yard zero with an optic 4'' over bore(I'm not sure of the exact RMR height, this is just an estimate).

If I had the money I would buy the RMR acog combo and zero the red dot up close, sounds pretty awesome actually.  Probably a bit faster than a 1x4 scope since you just have to move your line of sight rather than twist the optic, add to that the RMR has unlimited eye relief.
However, I've never used a setup like that, so my opinion could be worthless  2 cents

-Thomas Jefferson
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 04:44:36 PM »

BTW, I changed my mind again haha.  I think this weekend I'm going to buy the Accupower instead of the Accupoint.  I would rather buy Batteries than have to replace the tritium.  Plus, the Accupower has ballistic reticle drop marks, so it would be basically idiot proof (which is a huge plus for me  Grin )

I think this is the reticle I am going to buy.

On full power the battery only lasts a day or two, but I've heard a bunch of guys say they left it on medium power for weeks without the batter dying.  Plus it's an etched reticle, so I would only be using the illumination at night or low light.

-Thomas Jefferson
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 04:59:24 PM »

BTW, I changed my mind again haha.  I think this weekend I'm going to buy the Accupower instead of the Accupoint.  I would rather buy Batteries than have to replace the tritium.  Plus, the Accupower has ballistic reticle drop marks, so it would be basically idiot proof (which is a huge plus for me  Grin )

On full power the battery only lasts a day or two, but I've heard a bunch of guys say they left it on medium power for weeks without the batter dying.  Plus it's an etched reticle, so I would only be using the illumination at night or low light.

Holy crap, I love that reticle.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2017, 05:16:56 PM »

Holy crap, I love that reticle.

The center dot is .75 MOA too  Grin

I also like those types of MOA reticles, because it's very easy to range your targets using the reticle.  I use similar reticles to range varmints on hunts, and have had great luck.

BTW the accupower has a few other types of reticles as well.
https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=AccuPower&mid=1-4x24

-Thomas Jefferson
houndog

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 06:11:45 PM »

So what accupower are you going to buy?  The 1x4?  If so, check out Amazon price.  Seems to be better than some of the usual suspects I would use.

BTW - I ended up putting a Primary Arms 3x scope on mine.  Reticle is actually somewhat similar to accupower.  I know you and I disagree about putting relatively cheap scopes on a Tavor, but I did take mine out to the range for the first time a few days ago. Glass was surprisingly clear.   After zeroing at 100 was able to consistently (about 90% of the time) hit steel plates (10"x16") at 300 using built in BDC.  I know there are guys here who could probably get similar results at 600, but I was pretty happy with both the scope and my new Tavor. Smiley
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2017, 06:40:50 PM »

So what accupower are you going to buy?  The 1x4?  If so, check out Amazon price.  Seems to be better than some of the usual suspects I would use.

BTW - I ended up putting a Primary Arms 3x scope on mine.  Reticle is actually somewhat similar to accupower.  I know you and I disagree about putting relatively cheap scopes on a Tavor, but I did take mine out to the range for the first time a few days ago. Glass was surprisingly clear.   After zeroing at 100 was able to consistently (about 90% of the time) hit steel plates (10"x16") at 300 using built in BDC.  I know there are guys here who could probably get similar results at 600, but I was pretty happy with both the scope and my new Tavor. Smiley

Nice glad to hear you are digging the new optic!  Part of the reason I love 223/5.56 is it is a pretty flat shooting round, so getting hits at 300 is pretty straight forward for a good price too Grin
Ton's of guys love Primary arms, and I completely understand why.  It is refreshing to get a great reliable optic at a good price!   Not too long ago it was either spend a ton of money to get a decent optic, or spend a small amount to get a piece of s***... Now we have great options for a lower price, and I see no bad in that concept.  It's better for us consumers in the long run, because higher end stuff will have to price drop to compete for customers, and lower end stuff will have to bring up quality( we are seeing both righ now ).  I run a few lower end optics, and they do great.
But yes, my Tavor is my princess and I buy nice stuff for her though lol.

Ya, I'm going to get the 1x4 accupower with the reticle I pictured above in either red or green ( probably whichever my local gun store has in stock ).  I'd rather pay a little more to get the optic right away because I'm impatient.  If the gun store doesn't have it in stock, I'll probably order it for a better price. ( LGS has the 1x4 with reticle above for 695$, so I figure that is decent, because the discounted version isn't much cheaper after shipping.)

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=RS24-C-1900006

EDIT: Looks like my LGS is listing the Accupower for 613$ Shocked
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 07:06:28 PM by RabbitSlayer » Logged

-Thomas Jefferson
houndog

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2017, 08:29:19 PM »

$613?  Shocked  I need to move near you.  I buy a lot of stuff on line because I usually know what I want and can get a better price and selection than at my LGS.  That price is significantly less than my goto website for scopes. 

Also, I can't dispute that more money gets you more scope. I've owned an ACOG, an Aimpoint and an Eotech and they are definitely more rugged than the cheaper options.  But this whole Tavor thing is kind of an experiment for me.  Wasn't sure if I could adjust to a bullpup.  After about 100 rounds I find I'm really liking this gun and particularly enjoying shooting offhand.  With the possible exception of an SBR I own, it is the quickest handling gun in my safe.  And I'm kind of digging my Primary Arms scope.  3-4x is kind of the sweet spot for me if you want maximum versatility.  Enough power to get you out to 3-400 yards and enough of a field of view that it still works at 25 yards.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2017, 08:44:06 PM »

$613?  Shocked  I need to move near you.  I buy a lot of stuff on line because I usually know what I want and can get a better price and selection than at my LGS.  That price is significantly less than my goto website for scopes. 

Also, I can't dispute that more money gets you more scope. I've owned an ACOG, an Aimpoint and an Eotech and they are definitely more rugged than the cheaper options.  But this whole Tavor thing is kind of an experiment for me.  Wasn't sure if I could adjust to a bullpup.  After about 100 rounds I find I'm really liking this gun and particularly enjoying shooting offhand.  With the possible exception of an SBR I own, it is the quickest handling gun in my safe.  And I'm kind of digging my Primary Arms scope.  3-4x is kind of the sweet spot for me if you want maximum versatility.  Enough power to get you out to 3-400 yards and enough of a field of view that it still works at 25 yards.

If you haven't already... I suggest buying the manticore curved buttpad, it makes it handle much better, and makes the LOP feel much nicer.  Make's the gun feel shorter, and it is 100% legal to put on.
https://www.manticorearms.com/x95-tavor-products/x95-curved-buttpad-for-x95-tavor.html

-Thomas Jefferson
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 02:41:59 PM »

I just bought the Trijicon accupower... it has some of the cleanest glass I've ever looked through.
Honestly clearer than my high end leupold... makes the aimpoint pro glass look like mud  Shocked

I can't express how high quality the glass is, makes my vortex strike eagle look like a bb gun scope.

-Thomas Jefferson
tavor hollow

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2017, 04:31:40 PM »

Rabbit glad to hear you are" hoppy" with your new glass. I try to tell people if you don't have a visual orgasm when you look through it ...there's better. I have my tr24 off now replaced with the rs 27, but I still like the brightness of the tr24 glass better. So at work some friends who shoot I let them look through it tr24  they start to slowly realize what they are seeing and a smile comes on their face. Then they ask how much and I slowly explain if they take time and look at eBay they might find it in the mid $600's break the ice slowly. Anyways if the world is still turning when the tavor. 308 comes out the rs27 will have a new home and the tr24 will go back to its home for the last 4 years.the rs27 I actually picked it up for 1050. I got lucky! I know a lot of people like the acog and I would like to have one for the ruggedness,  glass clarity, and reticle. But variable fits my life better. Good luck and good shooting!
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2017, 05:34:49 PM »

I actually can't believe how amazing the glass is.  For those who wear glasses, the sensation is like putting on a pair of prescription glasses.  The scope is amazingly clear, and makes everything you look at through it look crystal clear.

I honestly will never buy a cheap scope again unless it's going on a 22 or something.  The difference is night and day.

I was almost about to buy an Acog when I was at the store, but I am glad I bought the Variable 1x4.  I have a few other 1x4 scopes, and the range is really nice.  I often use all the different zoom settings.  When I'm hunting I usually leave it around 2x, then dial back or zoom in as needed.  The versatility is huge, and very nice to have.

Looking through the Accupower at 1X gives the same amount of fisheye as the Trijicon MRO red dot.  Shooting at 1x is just like using a Red dot.   I also really have to brag about the reticle.  The reticle is so crystal clear, with thin lines, and the ranging numbers are so small and accurate it is beyond words.  The quality of the reticle is out of this world, I honestly cannot say enough good things about it.  You really have to see one in real life, because all the internet pictures and videos do not nearly do it justice.  It's like comparing an old 80's gen Tv with a new flat screen 1080p, there is just no comparison.
I have a nice Leupold scope for my 7mm, and honestly this Trijicon is better.  Which is kind of sad, because the Leupold cost more.

The Accupower rocks, it's lighter than my other 1x4 optics, better glass, better reticle, just overall miles better than any of my other scopes.  Like I said, I'll never buy another cheap scope unless it's for a 22 or something like that.

Also, the scope cap covers, they are see through and amber tinted.  Even looking through the amber tinted scope caps, the optical picture is 10000x better than looking through any of my Vortex strike eagle.  The amber actually looks really nice during the day time, and I'm pretty happy the scope came with clear scope caps so I can protect the amazing glass on my scope.

I'll probably write an actual review at some point, and give my impressions on using the variable power scope with a bullpup.

If any of you are thinking about it, Get the Accupower.

-Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length