Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2017, 02:04:23 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr AUG AUG icon
| | | |-+  AUG barrel fluting
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: AUG barrel fluting  (Read 360 times)
Clarke-Sensei

« on: May 15, 2017, 04:44:53 AM »

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has attempted to get their AUG barrel fluted? I understand that some of the clones have it done, but I haven't heard someone getting it done to the Steyr barrel.
   I imagine the grip and gas adjustment might pose problems, but is there anything else that might cause an issue? If it is possible, what style of fluting would you guys look into getting done? Any input is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:46:24 AM by Clarke-Sensei » Logged
spyderco monkey

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 09:33:33 AM »

No idea about whether it works for the AUG, but these guys have a cool calculator where you can judge the weight savings fluting would offer.
https://www.longriflesinc.com/collections/gunsmithing-services/products/gunsmithing-services-barrel-fluting
LazyEngineer

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 10:02:07 AM »

Just make sure whoever does that really knows what they are doing.  Unless the flute job is perfect, it will introduce irregular stresses as it heats up, and start throwing off shots (or so I read).
leopardprey

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 12:37:29 PM »

Seems to me to be a waste.  Not going to save that much weight.  And the AUG is not heavy anyway.   And because most of the barrel seats down into the gun, you are not going to get any visual athletics from the fluted barrel, if that is one of the reasons you like.

Personally, I think the barrel is fine the way it is.   Leave it be.
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 01:32:21 PM »

Thanks for the replies.
Seems to me to be a waste.  Not going to save that much weight.  And the AUG is not heavy anyway.   And because most of the barrel seats down into the gun, you are not going to get any visual athletics from the fluted barrel, if that is one of the reasons you like.

Personally, I think the barrel is fine the way it is.   Leave it be.
   I was thinking as much in regards to weight, just sating my curiosity.
chickendumpling

KISS

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 07:45:45 PM »

Weight counts  ...   Starting out with an AUG, its already heavy to begin with compared to so many other options.   I don't track all the versions, variations, or spin-offs ... but what Lithgow Arms is offering with the possibility of the Atrax, that looks better spec wise to me ... they fluted the barrel and took some weight off.    That's on my list ... so I'd take a fluted barrel.

Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 12:34:13 AM »

I'm interested in the Atrax, especially considering the weight savings and barrel fluting. The whole receiver swap out sorta deters me from it for some reason.
LazyEngineer

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 02:47:09 AM »

I'm interested in the Atrax, especially considering the weight savings and barrel fluting. The whole receiver swap out sorta deters me from it for some reason.

My favorite part of that is the promotion where they imply it's just as easy as swapping out the barrel on an AUG.  And with a straight face (I s*** you not), they take two complete guns, but one doesn't have a stock on it.  They take the first gun out of the stock, and put the second on in it, and say see, that's just so easy.  It was one of the most ridiculous things I had seen in years. NewsFlash: a barreled receiver, is pretty much an entire additional gun, without the plastic stock (the cheapest part of the whole gun).
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 03:44:59 AM »

You put into words what I couldn't quite place. I can understand the swap for other calibers, but other barrel lengths is goofy considering its lineage. Though it does raise a thought.
   I'd love to hear more about Steyr's 300 Blackout conversion, since apparently that is a thing.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 04:21:44 AM by Clarke-Sensei » Logged
SamM

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 01:04:13 PM »

A few months ago, ADCO Firearms did some work on my Steyr AUG barrel. They thinned the contour, chopped it .5" and rethreaded it to 1/2-28 standard threads. I asked about having it fluted or dimpled to reduce weight but they said, that the AUG barrel was not an appropriate candidate for that type of work. Whatever that means. This barrel work allowed me to get rid of the Ratworx thread adapter and to use a SilencerCo ASR flash hider for my SilencerCo Omega suppressor. The flash hider was pinned on and welded as well. The rifle lost some weight but not nearly enough. It's noticeably lighter than before, but not much more can be done. The work cost me a few dollars north of $300 and was well worth the effort. The bayonet threads are gone now and the barrel is much thinner, in front of the gas block and on the portion inside the receiver.

I highly recommend ADCO Firearms, LLC. located in Ohio. Some very reputable shops turned down my request or said that nothing could be done to the AUG barrel.

SamM

* IMG_2423.JPG (1681.31 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 41 times.)

Why SBR?
Jack Flag

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 05:19:19 PM »

that's  a first. thanks for sharing. Smiley
spyderco monkey

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 02:26:09 AM »

A few months ago, ADCO Firearms did some work on my Steyr AUG barrel. They thinned the contour, chopped it .5" and rethreaded it to 1/2-28 standard threads. I asked about having it fluted or dimpled to reduce weight but they said, that the AUG barrel was not an appropriate candidate for that type of work. Whatever that means. This barrel work allowed me to get rid of the Ratworx thread adapter and to use a SilencerCo ASR flash hider for my SilencerCo Omega suppressor. The flash hider was pinned on and welded as well. The rifle lost some weight but not nearly enough. It's noticeably lighter than before, but not much more can be done. The work cost me a few dollars north of $300 and was well worth the effort. The bayonet threads are gone now and the barrel is much thinner, in front of the gas block and on the portion inside the receiver.

I highly recommend ADCO Firearms, LLC. located in Ohio. Some very reputable shops turned down my request or said that nothing could be done to the AUG barrel.

SamM

That's really cool. How much weight did that end up shaving off?
SamM

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 09:04:09 AM »

It was never weighed. If someone could weigh their stock barrel, I will weigh my modified barrel today. I also have the stock AUG flash hider and another SilencerCo ASR flash hider and will compare the weight of those, as well.

SamM

Why SBR?
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length