Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 09:35:18 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Ease of locating 1:7 barrels
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ease of locating 1:7 barrels  (Read 2023 times)
Smokinghole

« on: May 07, 2017, 07:48:37 AM »

I load my own and have 1000s of 77gr Nosler Custom Comps.  I have had my eye on AUGs for years but the main sticking point for me at this point is the 1:9 barrels.  I know it seems a little silly but I like shooting the 77s and don't want to limit my ammo because of my barrel twist rate. 

Also in that vein, does anyone machine custom barrels?  I know they'd be expensive but I would think it could be done.  That'd help with my desire for a 1:7 possibly.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

LazyEngineer

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 10:21:21 AM »

So this is a tough one.  It's possible a 1/9 AUG BBL will stabilize a 77 gr bullet, or maybe it won't.  It's not manufacturer recommended - I know that much.   The longer the barrel, the faster the speed and so the faster the twist will be.  Personally, I just segregate my 75+ gr ammo for other guns.  

In my own experience (posted just now), I've had 75 gr at decent but perhaps a little mild velocity, group tight at 200 yards, and then loose it at 500 (used my AUG at an NRA MidRange Match, which is on paper so you can see what's going on).  Loosing at distance is no good to me, since i was try to shoot 600 yards.  

Steyr did make some 1/7 twist barrels, which are out there.  I think they were all 16", which to me is kind of a shame, since my primary interest in 77 gr is accuracy at distance (i.e. 3-gun matches in open-field, that goes out to 700 yards at times).

As to having a custom barrel cut - that's easier said than done, since the gas system is integral to the barrel, and involves special parts that you'll have to get off another BBL, and an installation procedure that is doubtful your average barrel cutting machine shop is capable of (apparently there's a special heating procedure to thermally expand certain parts in a certain way, and then you slip them on - or so I hear).

If I were to cut a special barrel myself, I'd cut one 1/8.  I'd make it 18".  I'd use US standard muzzle threads.  I'd put a Wylde Chamber in it.  I'd Malonite it, and I'd cut a slightly smaller than normal gas port, and make sure that port was fully in a rifling groove (i.e. not engage any lands).

If you do decide to take on that project, let me know what it'd cost you to make a second one.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:23:22 AM by LazyEngineer » Logged
cjgemm
^

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 07:31:17 AM »

So this is a tough one.  It's possible a 1/9 AUG BBL will stabilize a 77 gr bullet, or maybe it won't.  It's not manufacturer recommended - I know that much.   The longer the barrel, the faster the speed and so the faster the twist will be.  Personally, I just segregate my 75+ gr ammo for other guns.  

In my own experience (posted just now), I've had 75 gr at decent but perhaps a little mild velocity, group tight at 200 yards, and then loose it at 500 (used my AUG at an NRA MidRange Match, which is on paper so you can see what's going on).  Loosing at distance is no good to me, since i was try to shoot 600 yards.  

Steyr did make some 1/7 twist barrels, which are out there.  I think they were all 16", which to me is kind of a shame, since my primary interest in 77 gr is accuracy at distance (i.e. 3-gun matches in open-field, that goes out to 700 yards at times).

As to having a custom barrel cut - that's easier said than done, since the gas system is integral to the barrel, and involves special parts that you'll have to get off another BBL, and an installation procedure that is doubtful your average barrel cutting machine shop is capable of (apparently there's a special heating procedure to thermally expand certain parts in a certain way, and then you slip them on - or so I hear).

If I were to cut a special barrel myself, I'd cut one 1/8.  I'd make it 18".  I'd use US standard muzzle threads.  I'd put a Wylde Chamber in it.  I'd Malonite it, and I'd cut a slightly smaller than normal gas port, and make sure that port was fully in a rifling groove (i.e. not engage any lands).

If you do decide to take on that project, let me know what it'd cost you to make a second one.

So what were your group sizes at 200 vrs 500?
LazyEngineer

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 04:43:20 PM »

1.5 MOA at 200 yards.  >16 MOA at 500.  Some shots didn't even hit the paper.
DMays

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 06:21:43 PM »

My understanding is that the 1/7 barrels were made several years ago. I read somewhere that they didn't sell like hotcakes but could be mistaken. Hopefully someone can comment on the background.

I do remember seeing occasional 1/7 barrels come up on GB for what I thought were ridiculous prices.

Then one day SEVERAL were listed at very fair prices. They didn't last a long time but didn't go overnight. As to where they came from, I can't say but have wondered as they seemed to appear out of the blue.

You might try posting a WTB on several gun boards; worst thing is no one has one to sell.

Only one's I have seen are 16".

Good luck to you.
maleante
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 06:55:33 PM »

I have a 1/7 24" barrel and a few of the 16" 1/7 barrels. When the 1/7's came up for sale, knowing how rare they were, I bought as many as I felt prudent at the time.

People knew the 1/7's were for sale, but apparently with all the b****ing on the internet about the AUG having a 1/9 nobody put their money where their mouth is... It took too long to sell them all and then when they're gone, people complain.
DMays

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 09:41:09 PM »

The 24" would be good for guys wanting  to stretch it on out there.

If a supply of 24" 1/7 barrels was available today, I doubt they would sell quickly.

And...you are correct....you always get the old "I WOULD BUY THAT!!!" right up until time to pay.  Roll Eyes

cjgemm
^

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 07:28:33 AM »

1.5 MOA at 200 yards.  >16 MOA at 500.  Some shots didn't even hit the paper.

What did the impacts on paper look like at 500?
LazyEngineer

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 11:34:46 AM »

1.5 MOA at 200 yards.  >16 MOA at 500.  Some shots didn't even hit the paper.

What did the impacts on paper look like at 500?

the guy pulling my target didn't mention that they were key-holing.  But it gets pasted every shot, so I never had a chance to see first hand.  My guess is they were not keyholing, because at 500 yards, if you start keyholing, you aren't hitting the paper at all, as that's too much distance to stay on course if the bullet is tumbling.  And as it turns out, at 600 yards, several of my shots never made it on paper.  It was a case where I'd shoot a 10, a 9, a 10, an 8, a 10, a 6, a 10.  The bullets were just starting to loose it at 500yards.  At 600, it got worse

To update, the gun would mostly hold black on most shots, and was at least 4 MOA I'd say - but every once in a while, one just would lose it.  This is all from memory though.  Try it yourself, and maybe you'll get different results!  If I had to do it over again with 75's, I'd probably run them hotter, for the higher RPM's.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:54:32 PM by LazyEngineer » Logged
Smokinghole

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 09:55:09 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I got the feeling they are gone and not coming back.  I also didn't know how complicated the gas system was, I knew it was part of the barrel.   

I guess I'll start looking for a barrel and if someone is willing to sell it, maybe that will get me to buy the gun faster than otherwise.  In the end I'll likely end up with an AUG anyhow but I am hesitant due to the 1:9 twist right now.

7n6

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 10:30:45 AM »

I bought three 1/7 twist barrels to stash away when they were available. Contact Steyr to see if they'll do another run. Personally I just consider the AUG a 300-400 meter rifle and don't expect much past that.
LazyEngineer

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 12:09:34 PM »

I bought three 1/7 twist barrels to stash away when they were available. Contact Steyr to see if they'll do another run. Personally I just consider the AUG a 300-400 meter rifle and don't expect much past that.

Actually that's not a bad suggestion.  It seems like there is some ability to influence that.  I have to say, I really love my AUG, and definately would be in if they made a nice BBL per my above spec (or even close to it). 

I personally think 1/7 is too fast a twist for anything useful, and 1/8 is the one to go with if you are spec'ing anything new today.  1/7 and 1/9 are legacy twists based on 80's conjecture and bullet weights.  For actual stabilizing the spectrum of anything you can stuff into a magazine, 1/8 will cover you from 40 gr up to 80 gr. 
spyderco monkey

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 03:20:40 AM »

It would be great if we could create a petition asking for 1/7-1/8 thread barrels and 1/2-28 threads.
Jack Flag

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 12:58:23 PM »

I own a number of spare barrels. 16, 20, 24 inch. All 1:9. THough not my preferred twist. It works for most things. Longer barrels MAY even help stabilize the heavier rounds.

Though more barrels in different lengths, different threads and different twists would be cool. I don't really see it happening. The 16 inch barrel is now the defacto standard. Steyr had small (as in not very many)runs of 20, 24, 1/7 twist barrels made. Several years ago. And they're all still not sold. And many were only sold when they could be gotten at heavy discounts. So I don't see Steyr USA making anything more than the standard unfortunately.

But I could be wrong.  Grin
Smokinghole

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 08:50:41 PM »

I forgot about the new Nosler RDFs.  Anyone try them yet?   I have a few hundred but haven't loaded one yet to try out in my AR.  They're 70gr but seem to have a shorter bearing surface than the 77s from SMK or Nosler CCs.

Docduracoat

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 12:59:45 PM »

Steyr made a statement that the 1 in 9 twist barrels would stabilize any grain weight bullet
Lazy Engineer has posted that he got 1.5 inch groups with 77 grain bullets out to 200 yards
That is plenty far for  a Steyr Aug
I get 2.25 inch groups with Wolf Gold at 100
I can do an entire 30 round magazine into a human head sized target
My AR can put them all into the left eye
Remember that an Aug is not a target AR 15 with a stainless bull barrel on a bipod shooting for tight groups at 600 yards
The Aug shines at shooting at multiple targets at different ranges out to 200 yards since it is short, light and handy
If you want to target shoot out past 200 yards, buy an AR
If you want to run and gun, the Steyr Aug is a fantastic rifle
I barely shoot my AK's or AR's any more as my Aug A 3 is by far my favorite rifle!

SamM

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 06:59:47 PM »

Steyr will be releasing the STM556 sometime in the near future. This will be a nice addition to my Steyr Scout and AUG rifles. It has a 1/7" twist barrel and with the AUG gas system should theoretically rule the AR marketplace. I'm not saying that the STM will replace the AUG, but it will give Steyr owners another option. I'd love to have a 1/7" twist barrel for my AUG. It's not something that I must have. A .300BLK barrel would also be nice also. Most of us would like to see the AUG with a few more modern features. The Corvus Defensio parts are a step in the right direction. I'll be happy with those. The new trigger pack and more caliber and barrel options would be icing on the cake.

My STM will get a Steiner P4Xi. The AUG will have the M332 and an R1X red dot, both from Steiner. My AUG is my 'go to' rifle, the STM will not change that. It will be a new player in the market mostly for Steyr fans. My point is that you might get the 1/7" barrel in the STM556 before Steyr makes 1/7" AUG barrels again. One rumor is that Steyr Arms plans to bring barrel manufacturing home to Bessmer, AL.

SamM

* IMG_2834.JPG (237.87 KB, 2208x1242 - viewed 94 times.)

* IMG_2843.JPG (400.37 KB, 2208x1242 - viewed 84 times.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:14:58 PM by SamM » Logged

Why SBR?
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length