Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2017, 03:09:33 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr AUG AUG icon
| | | |-+  Corvus Defense AUG Brass Deflector FAILURE/WARNING!
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Corvus Defense AUG Brass Deflector FAILURE/WARNING!  (Read 2240 times)
ezvalor

« on: May 06, 2017, 12:41:34 PM »

Hello all, 

Simple warning to everyone that bought or is planning on purchasing the Corvus Defense aluminum shell deflector. I had mine installed per manufacturers recommendations and went to the range a couple of times firing close to 160 rounds without issue. The 3rd range trip, I was doing double and triple tap drills from low ready (right-handed). During my 3rd magazine I was not noticing brass being ejected forward anymore in my peripheral vision. Well, the shell deflector had snapped right off. I don't think this poses a safety concern while shooting dominant handed, but during left-hand transitions that would have hit someone right in the face. The pieces of the brass deflector are not damaged and can be mounted again, but I will not be using this device anymore, since I basically unmasked its failure point and that it does not mount securely enough for continuous fire.

Disclaimers:
1. No one was injured and the A3M1 AUG is 100% operational. The plastic stock along the anterior portion of the ejection window was marred a bit, which is not a big deal.
2. I was using M193 ball.
3. Mounted the shell deflector per manufacturers specs using blue locktite on the screws so they would not come loose and they did not. The failure point is the forward mounting tab, which slid right out like a trap door.
4. Sure, you can tighten the screws more, but the frame of the deflector will warp and the manufacturer advises against this.

Hope this helps and be safe,

EZ
chickendumpling

KISS

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 01:57:38 PM »

CD notified and response?
ezvalor

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 01:59:12 PM »

Not yet.
Jfoster99

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 11:41:34 AM »

I just ordered one yesterday along with the mag release.. I wish I would have read this first..
Corvus Defensio

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 02:38:59 PM »

Hello everybody (especially ezvalor)!

We hope that it is not a problem that we registered here to be able to directly give answers to questions or concerns (we also sent mails to the admin before twice if there are any concerns but did not get an answer so far).

First off we are sorry to hear what happened. Several thousand miles away it is quite difficult for us to give a specific diagnostic analysis of what exactly happened. But we try.

This is the first time we got info that the front part of the Brass Deflector simply slipped out of the ejection window. We test fired many of them with several 1000 rounds without seeing that specific problem.
We know that there were several military AUGs that were not able to keep the front hook tight. But the reason was that the front parts of the plastic stock ejection windows were totally chewed up from many FTEs where the sharp empty casings ripped off pieces of the plastics. The result was that the portion where the hook snaps in was not existing any more. One has to know that the space for the hook in an undamaged stock is very small. The patent pending design was very tricky to accomplish. On one hand the Deflector should be kept in place and on the other hand it should not cause malfunctions. We also designed the deflector in a way that if it is affected by brute force from outside it rather falls off instead of being bend and causing malfunctions (e. g. the deflector would fall off if one of the hooks break). 

As we think that you have a new stock we disregard the option that the front part of the ejection window is damaged and not able to keep the hook tight. But please check the ejection port anyway, just to be sure.

Another possible reason might be that the front hook of the frame of the deflector has a production fault and is not prominent enough. Of course we will send you a new one if that is the case.

What could be a reason as well is that the front hook did not fully snap into the notch underneath the ejection window when it was installed. In this case it might have just stayed in place because of friction and slipped out after a certain ammount of force caused by incomming casings.

But we do not know what exactly happened.

Here is just again an installation advice:
Be sure that both parts of the Deflector are patched (screws half way unscrewed and thread locker applied) and fully attach into the ejection port window. Alternately tighten the screws until the deflector sits firmly in the ejection port. Check if the deflector is properly installed by trying to move it in every direction (forward, backward, out and in). It must not move even a little bit! If so, thighten the screws even more (and/or make sure that both hooks are snapped in correctly). It does not matter if the frame starts to bend sightly. But just so far as it is necessary to keep the deflector tight in place. And be sure to wait until the thread locker fully dried.

We hope that this answer serves you well and we are sorry for any inconvenience! For further assistance please contact our customer service (office@corvusdefensio.com). I am sure, we can help you.

Best Regards!

CorDef
leopardprey

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 04:26:02 PM »

^Good service!
Jfoster99

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 11:22:52 PM »

Great reply... I feel much better about my purchase... Seems like if there is an issue I will be in good hands...

I am amazed the AUG has been out for 40 year and just now someone figures out how to add a shell deflector in a way that does not look like a train wreck.   Yes, I am referring to the Ratworx shell deflector snap on thinggy.
Corvus Defensio

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 02:32:50 AM »

Thanks for the kind replies! You are very welcome!
Jfoster99

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 08:56:24 AM »

Nice video of Corvus Defensio mag release and shell deflector install... The owner seemed very happy with the function and quality on first impression. However, he had not yet tried either at the range.  He has 3 videos in total on the Corvus products.

https://youtu.be/706xBKTzVHM
leopardprey

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 09:34:07 AM »

How do we order and pay for these products in the US?
Jfoster99

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 10:03:41 AM »

How do we order and pay for these products in the US?

Order just like any other online website with a shopping cart to checkout.  I used PayPal as the payment option... not sure if they took credit cards or not.
spyderco monkey

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 12:15:10 PM »

I've ordered from Corvus 3x now and all the orders have shipped quickly, and the parts themselves are awesome. Very nice machining and attention to detail, with no corners cut

His rail for the M1 is especially cool. The ACOG groove mounts the optic at the perfect height and saves a good bit on having a separate mount.

http://corvusdefensio.com/en/shop/corvus-defensio-m1-receiver-rail/

But even more importantly, the integral sling mounts work beautifully with the factory sling. The rifle drops better when slung, and rear mounting keeps the sling free of being caught up in the controls. 

Now I can't wait for the trigger pack to come out.
Corvus Defensio

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 03:56:15 PM »

Thanks for posting the youtube link to the review video. We were not aware of that. Cool!

We are happy when our customers enjoy our products! Spyderco Monkey exactly explained our thoughts when we constructed those items. Because the very beginning of CorDef was that we simply wanted to improve our own AUGs (private and duty). After that we had the opportunity to start our little business. More things to come  Wink. Next thing that we will have in stock soon is the QD Sling Swivel Butt Stock Plate Retention Pin with the Anti Rotation Device (for those who hate entangled slings as much as we do (and did for the last 20+ years in using AUGs)  Wink )

Ordering and payment just works as described by leopardprey. PayPal and bank transfere. No credit cards yet. We ship as soon as possible. Just keep in mind any possible import regulations. We are only taking care about EU export and declare the items with the AUG customs tariff number. US buyers can substract the VAT. So you pay 20% less than the prices you see on the web shop.

Concerning the trigger pack: We are still waiting for a certification by Steyr. They are very busy right now and postponed it a little.
Jfoster99

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 09:04:14 PM »

Holy crap Corvus that was fast shipping.. i ordered  Saturday and got it delivered today..   you Rock!!!!!
ezvalor

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 12:18:07 AM »

Quick follow up on the experience with the shell deflector:

On close observation, the small front tab that keeps it from popping out seems to have fractured. I will post a picture here as soon as I can - next couple of days.

As far as general thoughts on Corvus products. All I have to say is that they are well made, of good quality material, and ingenious in design; to include the shell deflector. I have purchased 6 AUG shell deflectors from Corvus and while having tested them in various AUG's I own, they haven't seen too high of a round count for me to comment at this time. They are mostly used for long range shooting beyond 200 meters and haven't seen more than 60 rounds each so far. I definitely do not want to discourage anyone from purchasing them if they find them helpful. My mishap with the one mounted on my main AUG is a sample of one and that is a statistical insignificance. We have all seen Aimpoints/ACOGs fail, magpul mags snap feed lips and AK's jam, but that does not mean that those designs are flawed. I actually do hope more people look into them, because from a mounting and functionality perspective, the shell deflectors by Corvus D. are very well thought out.

To Corvus Defensio: The AUG that the shell deflector was mounted on has exactly 460 rounds through it, i.e. essentially new. The stock has a couple of small scratches from when the shell deflector came off while at the range, but otherwise not overly worn. Hope this helps and as I alluded above, I will have pics in a couple of days. I hope you understand that we use this forum to share these experiences with other members in a professional manner and see if it is an isolated incident, which so far seems to be the case, and pave the way from product improvements if need be.

Sincerely,

EZ
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:30:21 AM by ezvalor » Logged
Corvus Defensio

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 07:32:16 AM »

Jfoster99,
That was really quick and even surprised ourselves! Good to hear that!

Ezvalor,
Thanks for the info! As mentioned due to itīs design this portion is very small and thin. It also works like a "predetermined breaking point" in case of any brute force from outside as we rather want it to fall off and provide sustained firing instead of causing any malfunction that could only be solved with tools. From several hundret we saw about 4 to break. Almost all of them came loose in the ejection port window and rattled forth and back when the casing hit them what caused the fraction of the front hook (but we do not say that yourīs came loose as well). Please send a mail to our customer service and we will send you a new frame.
And we are happy that our products are being discussed. As you said. It contributes to further development.

Regards!
Jfoster99

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 10:13:17 AM »

Corvus, on inspection of my shell deflector I see it is not symmetrical.

I am a Child of Satan( lefty) and need to mount the deflector upside down on the left side ejection port. The angles are all reversed?  How will this effect function?

becket

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 12:43:49 PM »

Well, my factory left side port cover flew off on my last range trip. I was shooting Hornady .223 to get rid of it. Seemed to be ejecting weak so perhaps the case taco'd inside the stock. Anyway, stuff happens. I am satisfied with my Corvus gear.
cjgemm
^

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 04:46:42 PM »

I have one of these for sale if anyone is interested, Won't work on a NATO stock.
housertl

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »

I'm interested. How much?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length