Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2017, 08:54:16 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  Prefer SAR to the x95?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Prefer SAR to the x95?  (Read 1534 times)
leopardprey

« on: April 29, 2017, 06:21:33 AM »

So seems like the X95 is all the rage now, but does anyone still prefer the SAR over the X95?  And why so?

To me, as I contemplate getting a Tavor, I have to admit I like the looks of the SAR over the x95, the position of the charging handle on the SAR.   
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 11:32:51 AM »

I agree with you--I like the looks of the SAR over the current US X95. Although, with IWI releasing the short furniture, that does help improve things for the X95. I also like the SAR's charging handle position. I'm a tall guy and it's in a more natural place for me. The X95 feels too compact in that regard. Still, the X95 has the AR-style mag release and that is one huge selling point for it. Not to mention with having the charging handle further to the rear, you get more rail space up front.

Have you had a chance to shoot both?

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 12:35:12 PM »

US civi X95 with the thick buttpad is nothing to be happy of, I shorted it myself right away even before IWI US released the short one. I prefer compact guns, so YMMV.
Rastoff

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 02:31:33 PM »

I went through the same process before buying mine. I liked the looks of the SAR and had seen one in action so, I was leaning toward that. However, the SAR wasn't available when I went to purchase and I went with the X95; I'm very glad I did.

The charging handle is in a much better location. If you ever need to use it, for the SAR you must reach forward and then pull it back. With the X95, you are already moving toward the rear and it is one smooth motion. Advantage X95.

Because of the relocation of the charging handle, there are three picatinny locations on the X95 vs one on the SAR. This gives you more flexibility for mounting lights or other accessories. This shouldn't be a big deal, but you never know when some accessory will help with whatever function you're using the gun for. If I had a SAR, I wouldn't be able to mount the light where I have it now. Advantage X95.

The mag release is a button with linkage on the X95 and is a direct lever on the SAR. Lots of debate over this. While I like the location of the buttons and the ambidextrous nature, I have seen the linkage fail on the X95. Also, if the mag must be stripped out, i.e. type III malfunction, it's a two hand operation on the X95. One hand presses the button while the other strips the mag. On the SAR, it's a one hand operation. The same hand that strips the mag can work the lever. Further, it's not that hard to operate the mag release on the SAR with your shooting  hand thumb. Advantage SAR.

The grip angle is more extreme on the SAR than the X95. I find the X95 to be more comfortable because it's more straight up and down and is a more natural position for my hand. If you were shooting from the hip, the SAR angle would be better, but that is not how to use a rifle anyway. Also, the ease of changing the grip out on the X95 allows for adjusting to the individual shooter. The SAR is fixed and you're stuck with what you get. Advantage X95.

Looks? Is that even a consideration? Let's face it, neither of these is going to win a beauty contest. They are both function over form type of guns. I didn't get this because it looked a certain way. I got it because of the compact package, ease of use and reliability. However, if looks are important to you, forget everything else about the gun. If you go with the one that's more functional for your purpose, but isn't the one that looks good to you, you'll always regret it. Looks matter not at all to me. Advantage neither.

Both are well made. Both are reliable. Both take common mags and come in common calibers. Both are ambidextrous. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either, but how much longer will IWI support the SAR? The X95 is the new kid on the block. It's the gun that will get all their attention. The SAR is a great gun, but, while still available, will likely not receive any upgrades. Advantage X95.

My pick is the X95. I'm biased because that's what I have, but I really believe it was a good choice. You can't go wrong either way, I just think the X95 edges the SAR a little.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 06:24:59 PM »

Both the SAR and the X95 win beauty contests in my book. They look like something that should be spewing phased plasma in a 40 watt range, not 5.56.

Except for the X95 with the long furniture. puke

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
pilot4prophet

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 08:11:25 PM »

I was an early adopter. My investment is in the SAR, so economics is a big factor. That being said, I just like the ergonomics. I've gotten used to the controls. I see no huge motivation to change to the X-95.

P4P
ASH22

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 11:42:53 PM »

I too like the SAR over the X95, for a couple of reasons.

1. This is probably not the case for most - I like the SAR magazine release better for this platform.
2. Front hand guard - I don't need a lot of rails to hang stuff on, (just need a light) and the ergonomics on the SAR is better to me.
3. Charging handle - This was a negative for the SAR to begin with and liked the X95 over the SAR for factory vs factory charging handles. I now run a Gear Head Works folding charging handle and love it!

I think for the majority populous, the X95 wins. For me it's hands down the SAR.
Jwill

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 10:19:33 PM »

I liked the SAR more initially, however after handling an x95 I was surprised at how much smaller and lighter it felt. I'm hoping they come out with an SAR to x95 stock conversion kit, not gonna hold my breath though. 
Screwball

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 10:39:34 PM »

I wasn't a fan of the controls of the X95, but did like the ability to swap the guard for a traditional pistol grip. The rails... really wasn't a big deal, since I only planned a light. Ended up with a 16.5" SAR.

I live in NJ, so had to get a muzzle brake pinned... but prefer the shorter barrel to the 18" compliant rifle. If I'm going with a bullpup, I want the shortest profile as possible.

The Gear Head Works charging handle really cleaned up the SAR profile. The original charging handle was a huge kickstand, but I like not having that detent that sometimes took the gun out of battery. This one folds and is good to go.
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 10:47:43 PM »

I admit I prefer the SAR. My long fingers actually pass over the X95 mag release button and I end up pressing against the guard instead. The Tavor mag changes are fast for me.

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
Practicool

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 11:10:06 PM »

I admit I prefer the SAR. My long fingers actually pass over the X95 mag release button and I end up pressing against the guard instead. The Tavor mag changes are fast for me.

Same points for me:  Long fingers/arms = SAR ends up being easier/faster to operate.  Same with mag changes.

Held the X95 at my LGS and something just felt 'off'. 

I'm glad they make multiple formats that are both popular, go bullpup!
AlexTavor

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 03:19:14 PM »

I don't have the sar-21 since we had the tar-21 instead in Canada. I've had the tar for a few years and just bought the X95 in march when it came available here. I really prefer the X95 ergonomics with the grip being slightly closer to my body it really makes the platform feel tighter and almost like a sub gun. I didn't mind the Tar-21 mag release since i didn't come from an ar-15 platform and the tar-21 mag release was all i knew. Now that I have the X95 I do like the mag release location but either way my hard goes to the rear to catch the mag since i don't want to drop the mag onto the concrete floor of my range. To make full use of the X95 mag release I did need to shave/sand a few of my plastic mags so they drop free (half dropped free new, the other half didn't drop free even though they were the same brand and bought at the same time from the same store). The charging handle location of the X95 i find to be much better then the Tar-21. The quad rail on the x95 with the adjustable panel covers are very nice too, its one of my favourite upgrades. The trigger is nicer on the X95 but not a huge difference, I might still modify the x95 in the future but its not like the tar-21 that i wanted to upgrade right away. The pistol grip thats available for the x95 is also a great upgrade and very cheap at 40$ canadian, I like being able to use a trigger lock vs a cable lock so this was a must upgrade but this might be a Canadian specific issue since our storage laws require the rifle to either be locked with a cable/trigger lock or to remove the BCG to make the rifle non operational if no lock is available.

Overall i prefer my X95 but I will not sell the Tar-21. Im going to keep it and get a caliber conversion for either .300 blk or 9mm (problem is i don't know which one i would do the caliber conversion on). I actually would sell or trade my tar-21 but only if i could replace it for a x95 with adding under $300. Im also not sure about the 9mm caliber conversion since for the cost of the conversion kit i could just buy a beretta CX4 or Vector in 9mm or .40 s&w for the same price or less.
Commanderfluffy

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 07:08:56 PM »

Seeing how the X95 is my first Bullpup and the only one I've ever shot I can't really compare the two. However, I do like how the X95 has more rail options, and I like the location of the charging handle. Also, like how I can replace the pistol grip with one that does not have that big trigger guard.
cciman

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 08:26:51 PM »

SAR is lighter in weight, bigger back end for a better boat paddle.

SAR needs the Geissele trigger bow, X95 does not have a hinged trigger (micro welded to be solid).

X95 appeals to the AR brainiacs with hardset, cured, muscle memory.
achancesw
New Posting Member

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 10:03:43 AM »

I found a SAR for $1500 locally but reading things like this makes me think I want a X95
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length