Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 11:20:51 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  Should I Be Concerned About my Tavor?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Should I Be Concerned About my Tavor?  (Read 2461 times)
TxAg94
New Posting Member

« on: April 26, 2017, 08:42:38 PM »

Just pulled the trigger (pun intended) on a green X95 Tavor.  So far I love it except for one thing.  I took it to an indoor range the first night just to put a few rounds through it.  I started with the iron sights and at under 50 yards I was barely on the paper, with everything hitting way right.  I fired up the Vortex SPARC and tried that knowing it was probably not even close.  Same thing, WAY right.

This past weekend we took it out to the range and shot from a rest.  Same story again, everything was going WAY right.  I sighted in the iron sights first and had to shove the front post almost all the way to the right.  I lined the red dot sight on the front post and started getting very consistent centered groups at 75 yards.  My concern is that the iron sight and the red dot are almost maxed out to one side.  I would expect a little offset one way or another but this seems really excessive.  Am I missing something?  Is it possible the rail is out of whack?  Everything looks symmetrical and tight but that's all I can think of.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

* DSCN3937.JPG (2193.25 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 261 times.)
racky
^

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 09:56:26 PM »

Send it back to IWI, they'll check it out & fix/recalibrate it for you.
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 10:01:21 PM »

Having to adjeust sights a lot is considered normal for all firearms. I have a Colt 6920 that I had to adjust the rear sight almost all the way to the right.
Lefty

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 11:01:36 PM »

I have two suggestions before you send your Tavor back .
1) Have someone observe your shooting position, especially your head. If you are leaning over the cheek piece or have some other "quirk" that might add to your issue.
2) Set the sights back to the middle and let someone else try it. If they have the same result you may indeed have an issue with the TAVOR.
PS. did you try zeroing the red dot independent of the iron sights ?
TxAg94
New Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 11:35:12 PM »

I had two other people shoot the rifle.  Both with the same results, somewhat low but very right.  I borrowed a boresight laser from someone and it is dead on both the iron sights and the red dot.  I'm not ready to send it off yet.  I think I need a few more rounds at the range and have some others shoot/sight it in as suggested.  The photo doesn't seem so bad but the front iron sight barely folds back to the down position.
Hivedr.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 01:32:04 AM »

I had two other people shoot the rifle.  Both with the same results, somewhat low but very right.  I borrowed a boresight laser from someone and it is dead on both the iron sights and the red dot.  I'm not ready to send it off yet.  I think I need a few more rounds at the range and have some others shoot/sight it in as suggested.  The photo doesn't seem so bad but the front iron sight barely folds back to the down position.

Have you tried disassembling the rifle barrel from the receiver and removing the upper rail from the barrel. Then reassembling everything and rechecking the POI. Does not sound like much but you might find something that looks "out of whack" or loose during the process. Minimally you will be able to rule out a loose screws or a visual miss alinement of some part.
Rastoff

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 07:41:06 PM »

Having to adjeust sights a lot is considered normal for all firearms. I have a Colt 6920 that I had to adjust the rear sight almost all the way to the right.
No, this much adjustment is not normal. A little, yes, but not all the way to one side.

Since it was fired from a rest and by several people, who got the same results, I'd definitely want to send it back. However, the advice to disassemble/reassemble is a good one. Everything you need is in the manual and it could just be something not quite lined up that will fix itself upon reassembly.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
downeyg

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 10:46:41 PM »

My X95 has the opposite condition, the front sight is just as much to the left as you sight is tot he right.  I sent it back to IWI and it was returned to me in the same condition.  I was told that it was acceptable as long as the sight is not hitting the side of the rail cutout.  This pissed me off because I am a person that is real anal about things I spend money on.  For the price, the sight should be dead center.  I guess as with any other product, if you don't like it and the manufacturer will not correct it, you are s*** out of luck.  Sell it and move on to something else, which is a damn shame.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 10:17:08 PM »

If you can zero your rifle then its completely fine.
I have AR15's that came from the factory with the freefloat rail/ Barrel misaligned, yet I could still sight them in without much trouble.  Since I can Zero them, there is no problem, and I shoot Sub Moa handloads out of my AR15's.
Seriously if you can Zero your rifle what is the problem?  All guns require sighting in, if not a little, then a lot, but if they can be Zero'd then there is no issue.  You need to worry less, and shoot more.

My Tavor X95 came with the Iron sights zero'd from the factory, however when I put a Red dot on it, it took alot of adjustment, but it Zero'd with no issue.

If your front sight is actually COMPLETELY maxed out all the way with no further horizontal adjustment available, it would be worth sending back, however if there is still some ajustment more to the side available you will be wasting your time sending it back.

This reminds me of how so many people Freak out about AK47 iron signs, when in reality there is no problem, if you want your front sight to be perfectly concentric, then get an adjustable rear sight, and viola the queefing can desist.

BTW, that picture you posted looks perfectly fine in my opinion.  Also, this could be user error and not the rifles fault.  We don't know how you align your eyes with the rifle, and we don't know if you had the rifle centered perfectly straight.  The tavor has a high sight over bore, which means that if you dont hold the rifle centered everytime you will get much horizontal drift.

There is my two cents, plus a dollar fifty.

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
Tj7

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 10:26:30 PM »

My front sight on my SAR is the exact same way. It is almost all the way adjusted to the left. It is not touching the rail, it's just pretty far over. It shoots straight and folds up and down with ease. I don't think it is too much of a concern. I have OCD and was able to get over it because they spend 95 percent of the time folded in my use. Do they shoot as intended? If so, I don't think it is too much of a concern.

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of happiness, are the essential principles of a free society. There is no substitute, or partial acceptance. -TJ
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 10:28:31 PM »

Two more things

I looked closely at your Picture..
Your rifle is 100% fine, and there is no problem, you still have a ton of adjustment available.  All guns require sighting in.

You have your front post backwards, put the green part facing the shooter, that is a tritium post that glows at night, just like handgun glow in the dark night sights, but you have yours facing the wrong way.

Your rifle is perfectly fine, and it would be a waste of time sending it back to the factory.

Literally every single rifle I have ever purchased required some amount of horizontal adjustment of the sights, and or optic; and I have sighted in hundreds of rifles in my life.

The only reason I haven't personally adjusted the iron sights on my Tavor is I can hit a 10'' steel plate with them at 100 yards, which is fine by me.  If Iron sights are off a few inches I don't care.  I just make sure my optic is dialed in to the point I can hit a baseball or something smaller.  Iron sights aren't exactly precise so I don't get anal about them, especially considering the front post of most iron sights covers at least 12'' of target if not more at 100 yards.

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 11:02:48 PM »

No, this much adjustment is not normal. A little, yes, but not all the way to one side.

Actually yes his rifle is perfectly normal.
Did you even look at his picture?  There is still a ton of horizontal adjustment available, his rifle is perfectly fine.  Take another look at the picture he provided, if you think there is an issue with that amount of adjustment then you have no idea what you are talking about.  Sending the rifle back would be a complete waste of time for 2 reasons, 1 there is nothing wrong with the rifle, 2 the factory would not do anything to the rifle because it is perfectly fine as it is.

In this thread Radscorpius and his statement are correct.

-Thomas Jefferson
GunStarHero

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 01:54:08 PM »

In this thread Radscorpius and his statement are correct.
Eh, had this same issue with my tavor and was kinda' leaning more towards racky's statement being the way to go.

(edit/)
Sorry, if that post seems as enigmatic as it does to me a day later... But my best guess, what I believe was the issue was the bbl itself. Not the front buis, not the rail, not how the bbl locks into the receiver. Imo, just send in, get it back 2/3 weeks later, never look back.
(just FYI, we put maybe 700+rnds through that original "bad" bbl-assy over the summer of 13'. It was accurate and completely reliable, just never could align with the buis..)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 12:44:57 PM by GunStarHero » Logged
AlexTavor

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 02:48:07 PM »

This is not normal, both on my new X95 and Tar-21 they were shooting great out of the box with no adjustments
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 04:17:49 PM »

Sights are adjustable, which means they are meant to be adjusted. Just because some guns are shoot straight out of the box doesn't mean all of them should. Just take a look at the Glock sights adjusted everywhere in police inventories.
AlexTavor

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 08:29:10 PM »

I was under the impression that they come zeroed from the factory. My SIG p226 even came with the paper target that was used to zero the gun from the factory. Both my tavors didn't come with anything like that but both were accurate out the box. Needing to adjust the windage right and to the maximum could maybe indicate it missed the test fire step, something is damaged with the sight posts, or the barrel is not installed correct? Just guessing since I have no idea since both my rifles were accurate out of the box.
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 09:42:48 PM »

Not all guns come zeroed from the factory, some companies will include paper showing they are, but most don't.
AlexTavor

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2017, 12:36:04 AM »

Not all guns come zeroed from the factory, some companies will include paper showing they are, but most don't.

Was your Tavor shooting bad out of the box like the OP?

My only issue was getting used to the iron sights and figuring out where to hold, and what I should be lining up the front sight with on the rear peep. I didn't know if I should keep it centred in the peep, or keep it centred horizontally in the peep + line up vertically with the picitiny ledge.
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 04:27:34 PM »

Even with the front sight all the way to one side lineing up sights won't be a problem. My X95 needed adjustment too, through not much. My Colt LE6920 actually needed a lot of adjustment, there is almost no room on the rear sight for anymore adjustment on one side, but it now shoots where I aim, and I have no problem with that.
Riverkilt

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2017, 10:43:08 PM »

Feeling lucky.  My iron sights were dead on out of the box.

Get off my lawn!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length