Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 11:59:12 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  Question regarding Tavor X95 lengths
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Question regarding Tavor X95 lengths  (Read 1515 times)
Verfed

« on: April 18, 2017, 05:54:06 PM »

Hi guys.

I understand that the civilian x95 has a 16.5in barrel and 26.125in OAL, that is measured from the end of the enlarged buttpad till the end of the muzzle – not including the flash hider – and that’s why if one pins the muzzle device, one can replace the big buttpad with the small flat buttplate, no hassles. But then I read on IWI’s US website that the law enforcement x95 has a 13in barrel and 22.8 OAL that I assume is measured from the end of the thin buttplate till the end of the muzzle, again not including the flash hider. And here’s where I get confused about how they measure these rifles because if one adds 3.5 inches of barrel to the law enforcement x95, that brings the barrel to 16.5in, like in the civilian version, and the OAL to 26.3in, actually longer than the civilian x95! And it's not an SBR, no need to pin the flash hider and still with only the thin buttplate; no need for that big buttpad.

They must be measuring them differently, maybe the short x95 they actually are measuring with the flash hider. Otherwise I can’t figure out why they had to put the extended buttpad on the civilian x95. Can you guys help me out? What am I missing?
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 06:52:22 PM »

The spec you see on the website are the length measure with the big fat pad and muzzle brake.
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 07:00:37 PM »

OAL length mean over all, that usually includes muzzle brake. ATF required over all length has to exclude muzzle brake, it's an ATF regulation, confusingly worded and makes no sense.
Verfed

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 02:25:32 AM »

OAL length mean over all, that usually includes muzzle brake. ATF required over all length has to exclude muzzle brake, it's an ATF regulation, confusingly worded and makes no sense.

So IWI included the flash hider for the length of the law enforcement x95, but excluded it in the measurement of the civilian x95?
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 02:46:41 AM »

The length of the muzzle brake is included on both.
Verfed

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 05:18:01 AM »

The length of the muzzle brake is included on both.

How could that be? If a rifle needs to be 26 inches not including removable muzzle devices and the x95 is only 26.125 inches including the flash hider? Then it is an SBR since without the flash hider, which is removed easily, the barrel length is under 16in and the length of the rifle is under 26 or even 25 inches.

That's why I think they measured the rifles differently, the civilian one they measured from the muzzle without the flash hider while the law enforcement one was measured with the flash hider.
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 11:24:22 AM »

I called and you were right, the rifles were measured without muzzle brake. I kept thinking OAL is 27" on IWI site.
Verfed

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 12:38:28 PM »

That brings me back to my original question. I think they measured the law enforcement x95 differently, like perhaps with the muzzle device, or have incorrect numbers on their site.

You put the thin buttplate on your Tavor right? Do you mind telling me the dimensions of your rifle? What is the length from the buttplate till the end of the short hand guard? And what is the length of your barrel, including the fixed muzzle device?
BoulderTroll

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 01:23:54 PM »

I'm not up to speed on the X95, but keep in mind that if they pinned and welded the muzzle device it can count towards OAL and barrel length.
Verfed

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 05:03:52 PM »

I doubt they standard pin SBR x95 flash hiders. Those numbers just don't add up; if no one here knows, I'll have to write them.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 02:32:58 AM by Verfed » Logged
dntam

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 12:22:24 AM »

I think the quoted length of 26.125 inches is the length without a muzzle device. I no longer  have a 16 in X95 so I do not know the length with the thick butt pad. I am pretty sure an x95 with a 16 in. Barrel will be more than 26.125 inches if you include the muzzle device.  If it's 26.125 inches including the A2 brake it would be an SBR and fall under NFA regulations. The spec of 22.8 inches for a 13 in X95 more than likely includes the muzzle device or they measured it using the thick butt pad. Also the overall length is not going to matter much with a 13 inch barrel since it will be an SBR no matter what the length is.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:41:51 AM by dntam » Logged
Verfed

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 04:06:17 AM »

That'd be strange for them to include the large buttpad which is not standard with the SBR. So I'd assume, for some reason, they included the muzzle device in their measurements.
Rastoff

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 03:13:54 PM »

There are two measurements, not just one. If a rifle has a barrel less than 16" in length, it's a short barrel rifle. The over all length doesn't matter. If the over all length is less than 26", it's a short barrel rifle. The barrel length doesn't matter.

So, if you had a 13" barrel and a super thick butt pad that made the gun 26.5" in over all length, it's a short barrel rifle. If you have a 16.5" barrel, but a super thin butt pad that made the over all length less than 26", it's a short barrel rifle.

To make the barrel longer by using a muzzle device, it must be pinned. In other words, a 14.5" barrel with a 2" muzzle device that's pinned would legally be 16.5" long.

You can read about it here: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/which-firearms-are-regulated-under-nfa

And these rules only apply to the federal law. Your state may have different ideas on what constitutes an SBR. For example, these measurements are wrong for CA.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 03:18:12 PM by Rastoff » Logged

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
cm8404

X95, NRA & SAF Life Member

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 07:17:28 PM »

So the stock X95 with a flat butt pad is nor a SBR?    It's barrel is 16inches.   Thanks
Verfed

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 07:20:19 PM »

There are two measurements, not just one. If a rifle has a barrel less than 16" in length, it's a short barrel rifle. The over all length doesn't matter. If the over all length is less than 26", it's a short barrel rifle. The barrel length doesn't matter.

I understand that. My problem is I can't figure out how IWI.us measured their law enforcement X95 for either the barrel length or over all length.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 02:32:11 AM by Verfed » Logged
dntam

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 07:33:11 PM »

So the stock X95 with a flat butt pad is nor a SBR?    It's barrel is 16inches.   Thanks

No unless you permanently attach a muzzle device to make the overall length over 26 inches it will be an SBR.
cm8404

X95, NRA & SAF Life Member

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 08:15:00 AM »

No unless you permanently attach a muzzle device to make the overall length over 26 inches it will be an SBR.
Thanks Sad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length