Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2017, 04:35:19 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr AUG AUG icon
| | | |-+  AUGs are the best....
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: AUGs are the best....  (Read 2427 times)
leopardprey

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 06:06:07 AM »

^Nice Sam.   Always good to simplify. I find myself doing the same these days.

Question on the Steyr Handguns.   Brass ejecting fine? I have heard from some that it is erratic and many times getting brass to the face? Any truth in this? 

I thin in terms of long guns, my plan is to only own:

Two Steyr AUGs.  A 16" with red dot, and the 40 Year anniversary 20"

A Steyr Scout

Then just additionally my Thompson Center Muzzle Loader, my 20 gauge CZ over/under, and my Browning BT-99 Trap gun. 

That will cover all I ever need.

For handguns:   A HK p7, Les Baer 1911, Glock 21 Gen. 4, and then add a compact C9-A1 Steyr.    Also have a Ruger Mark II .22LR.

SamM

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 12:40:49 PM »

The ejection on my compact Steyr S9-A1 was excellent, no brass in the face ever. The pistol was much more accurate than any Glock that I ever owned. My Glocks started with the Gen 2 40 versions, the Gen 3 9mm models and then, finally to the Gen 4 G17 & G19 MOS. I will always consider them great pistols by I was never very good with them. Years ago, I shot IDPA and GSSF. It was great but my shooting, I felt was subpar with the Glocks. My G26 seemed more accurate than my G34. I was quicker with the G26. Very odd. The Steyr pistol fits me better and is ergonomically better for me. I'll report in the L9-A1 when I get it.

You couldn't do better than the Scout/AUG combination. Mine are both excellent firearms. I recently sold a Steyr SSG04 in .300WM. I was starting to get too many rifles again. I hated to sell it but I didn't think I would use it much. The STM will be a good addition.

SamM

Why SBR?
becket

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2017, 12:45:57 PM »

Yep.  I get asked all the time, if I was going back into harm's way overseas, what rifle/firearm would I take.  Steyr AUG with out a second thought.

Used AKs and ARs extensively overseas in combat/hostile fire/conflict areas, but given the choice would take an AUG.   More reliable, easier maintenance, shorter, and more accurate for the most part.

The only problem with the AUG is the price.  Right now a person can buy two (maybe even Three) AR platform rifles/carbines for the price of one AUG.

AR fans always cite the "2-3 ARs for the price" but nobody can ever seem to find a $600 AR with a chrome-lined barrel. Any decent CL barrel is $300. The FN AUG barrels are incredible. Only wish they would make more 1:7.
SamM

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2017, 01:15:25 PM »

You cannot buy a good AR for $600. My LWRCI M6IC was $2500. It had a chrome-lined barrel, a piston gas system and the build quality was on par with the AUG. A nice Noveske will set you back $2000 to $2600 and those are impingement rifles. The trade-off for a piston system is higher weight. If lightweight is a feature that's important, impingement is always the way to go. Most AUG buyers are looking for a little more. When I compare AR rifles to the AUG, I only take into consideration the piston guns. The rest will never measure up. That's why the Steyr STM556 looks so good to me. It has the AUG piston system adopted to it. Undeniably, the best piston system manufactured.

I've owned a lot of 5.56 rifles. The AUG in my opinion, is much better than the competition. Upgrades like the Corvus Defensio mag release, brass deflector and non-rotational takedown pin will continue to make the AUG better and better. The Corvus Defensio/ALG trigger module will make the Steyr AUG standout in the future. I can't wait to order mine.

SamM

Why SBR?
becket

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2017, 02:13:35 PM »

You cannot buy a good AR for $600. My LWRCI M6IC was $2500. It had a chrome-lined barrel, a piston gas system and the build quality was on par with the AUG. A nice Noveske will set you back $2000 to $2600 and those are impingement rifles. The trade-off for a piston system is higher weight. If lightweight is a feature that's important, impingement is always the way to go. Most AUG buyers are looking for a little more. When I compare AR rifles to the AUG, I only take into consideration the piston guns. The rest will never measure up. That's why the Steyr STM556 looks so good to me. It has the AUG piston system adopted to it. Undeniably, the best piston system manufactured.

I've owned a lot of 5.56 rifles. The AUG in my opinion, is much better than the competition. Upgrades like the Corvus Defensio mag release, brass deflector and non-rotational takedown pin will continue to make the AUG better and better. The Corvus Defensio/ALG trigger module will make the Steyr AUG standout in the future. I can't wait to order mine.

SamM

Amen!

Gas port on the barrel. Just an awesome design. I have owned an A1 since 1988. IMO the AUG requires some updates; SF SOCOM FH, AUG accessory rail, etc. Certainly worth the price. Nothing wrong with the issued folding grip, but I like the BCM stubby. I've got a lot of Mk262, but it flies just fine out to 200M.
SamM

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2017, 02:30:06 PM »

I like my AUG so much, that I named my new Wirehaired/Fox Terrier hunting dog Augie.

There has never been a better piston system designed. The pop while shooting suppressed is not the best but the exposed gas vent is going to do that. The factory grip has always worked for me. My plans are to get the Corvus Defensio upgrade parts except the rail. My AUG has the new extended rail rom Pete Athens. A new Steiner battlesight is in the works. The AUG just works very well for me! I call it the A-U-G. Most Americans just call it the AUG. I got in the habit of calling it by the letters many years ago.

SamM

Why SBR?
becket

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2017, 02:39:34 PM »

I like my AUG so much, that I named my new Wirehaired/Fox Terrier hunting dog Augie.

There has never been a better piston system designed. The pop while shooting suppressed is not the best but the exposed gas vent is going to do that. The factory grip has always worked for me. My plans are to get the Corvus Defensio upgrade parts except the rail. My AUG has the new extended rail rom Pete Athens. A new Steiner battlesight is in the works. The AUG just works very well for me! I call it the A-U-G. Most Americans just call it the AUG. I got in the habit of calling it by the letters many years ago.

SamM

Haha, Augie.

I have a Surefire SOCOM but awaiting the barrel coming back from Pete so I can install the Surefire AUG FH and can. I am sure I can live with the piston pop. Sam, do you have any issues running your can? What can do you run? I have the RatWorx thread adapter and a Brevis printed inconel can that I'd also like to run on it (when my Form 4 comes back on the Brevis).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 02:47:32 PM by becket » Logged
SamM

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2017, 03:29:26 PM »

My AUG has run perfectly with or without the can. No adjustments needed or stoppages ever. I have the SilencerCo Omega that has .30 caliber caps. ADCO Firearms cut, recontoured, rethreaded and pinned on a SilencerCo ASR FH for me. I ran the Ratworx adapter too, but it added a little weight and length. It had to go. My Scout has a threaded barrel, the 5/8-24 Steyr adapter and the same type FH. The Omega works well on it too. I hope to reload some subsonic soon to run in the AUG soon.

I have a SilencerCo Octane 9 HD that I will be running on my soon to be purchased Steyr L9-A1.

SamM
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:17:24 PM by SamM » Logged

Why SBR?
Jack Flag

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2017, 11:01:02 PM »

My AUG has run perfectly with or without the can. No adjustments needed or stoppages ever. I have the caliber SilencerCo Omega that has .30 caliber caps. ADCO Firearms cut, recontoured, rethreaded and pinned on a SilencerCo ASR FH for me. I ran the Ratworx adapter too, but it added a little weight and length. It had to go. My Scout has a threaded barrel, the 5/8-24 Steyr adapter and the same type FH. The Omega works well on it too. I hope to reload some subsonic soon to run in the AYG soon.

I have a SilencerCo Octane 9 HD that I will be running on my soon to be purchased Steyr L9-A1.

SamM

The the suppressor on. Which gas setting are you running the AUG in?
SamM

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2017, 11:41:14 PM »

The normal gas setting.

Why SBR?
photog22740
^

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2017, 06:22:50 PM »

Seems we are kindred spirits, as I also have a HK P7M8 as my daily CCW.  To me, it is the best handgun ever made - safe, reliable, accurate, easy to carry.    Sadly though, they are really getting up their in cost.     

Though I was joking the other day with a friend, in terms of firearms that I was going to seek all my firearms and go 100% Austrian.  Only Glock and Steyr in my collection.  Wink

Recently just bought a Glock 21 Gen 4, and am shooting it as well, just as tight of groups at 10m and less as I am with my $2000 Les Baer 1911.   Have owned, carried, used, trained with Glocks for over 20 years, and probably have owned about 20 Glocks over the years, including two previous Glock 21s (non-Gen 4).  This new GLock 21 Gen 4 is the most accurate Glock I have ever shot.   

I don't have one, but I hear Steyr's current 9mm is one of the most underappreciated pistols out there.  They sucked at pistols for years, with a trainwreck when trying to compete with the initial Glocks.  But finally got their act together, with the Steyr M9-A1.  That no one has ever heard of - which, considering Steyr's marketing budget, isn't really a shocker.  Like other things Steyr, it's innovative, different, with focus on maximum functionality over form, and so it looks weird.  I don't have one, but everything I've heard about them is that these are outright exceptional little pistols.

Look at that barrel axis vs hand position.  Recoil recovery is going to be damned fast with that.  And here's their chamber.  Look at that chamber support.  You could use paper-machete brass in that sucker, and still not blow out the bottom of the casing down the feed ramp.  Not to mention the chamber wall thickness. (it's the one on the right)

I have a myriad of pistols, HK, Sig, Walther, Ruger, etc.  The Steyr M9-A1 is easily the most accurate and fasted shooting pistol in the bunch, in my hands anyway.
mpd3285
^

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2017, 08:44:50 PM »

Made some new believers last week.

* 20170510_111941.jpg (4550.99 KB, 5312x2988 - viewed 64 times.)

* 20170510_115751.jpg (6167.39 KB, 5312x2988 - viewed 55 times.)

Steyr AUG= Austrian combat Legos since 1977.
Why SBR when you can AUG?! - Haven't we been taxed enough already?
TBM900
^

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2017, 02:17:07 PM »

Ive been hooked on the Beretta 92fs since the mid 80's (no I'm not that old...honest)

I have tried many of the poly-pistols over the years and never found them any 'better' than the old reliable 92.

That said, the functionality & engineering of the AUG has always made me want to try one of the Steyr A1's and compare it side by side with one of my 92's, just never had the chance since no one seems to stock them or shoot them locally.

Ahh well

In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.
-Wilbur Wright
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length