Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2017, 12:53:34 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR
| | |-+  So it's time to consider the reality of the MDR project
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: So it's time to consider the reality of the MDR project  (Read 7107 times)
knipple
^

« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2017, 10:52:35 AM »

just out of curiosity. why not just ship the rifle? if dt is waiting on ejection chutes, simply ship the rifle. then, 3 months down the line, ship the ejection chutes later. it'll cost 3$ extra to ship the small part. and none of the paying customers are angry.

This would be a PR blunder of epic proportions.  Imagine if Chevrolet delivered a Camaro without doors and told the buyer, "Register this car and we'll send you the doors when they become available".  First, you're putting the responsibility of registering the product (i.e. confirming to DT that you purchased it and where you live) on the buyer as well as making them fix the problem when DT sends them a replacement part.  Second, you're introducing an enormous opportunity for failure with regards to getting the part *to* the buyer.  Third, what about those MDRs that for whatever reason are either not sold or the owner just puts it in the safe without reading the little tag that says, "Important!  You don't have a whole rifle!"?  Six months, a year, five years down the road, suddenly they're going to realize that the part they expected to be there wasn't.  Fourth, the logistical overhead would delay things even more.

Another analogy is that you went to the store to buy some orange juice because you're really jonesing for some citrus goodness.  You buy a quart of Florida Natural and get home only to find that all that's in it is water...and a note on the side that says, "You can drink this water, and refill it, but we didn't have the flavor ready just yet...register online and we'll send you a pack of gel you can add later..."  Yeah, I think we'd all be disappointed.

As for the RDB owning the niche, only in Kel-tec's wet dreams. 

I don't get why you're so dismissive of the RDB.  It really is comparable to the MDR. It is lightweight, MOA or sub-MOA accurate, ambi-dextrous, ergonomic, fast on target and fast with reloads.
They have some teething issues right now, but those are being worked out.

Can you objectively state what the MDR has on the RDB?

The MDR will be available in .308 Winchester/7.62x51 NATO, whereas the RDB is only available in 5.56x45 NATO/.223 Remington.  I already have an AR-15 that I like, so I am not interested in another 5.56 NATO rifle.

If Kel-Tec offered the RDB in .308 Winchester (using SR-25 pattern magazines), I would consider the RDB.
LockeCTH
^

« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2017, 10:54:53 AM »

I don't get why you're so dismissive of the RDB.  It really is comparable to the MDR. It is lightweight, MOA or sub-MOA accurate, ambi-dextrous, ergonomic, fast on target and fast with reloads.
They have some teething issues right now, but those are being worked out.

Can you objectively state what the MDR has on the RDB?

I'm not him, but a chambering in 30 caliber is what I'm excited about. Ironically, Kel-Tec also has this - I just am not happy with the accuracy reports from RFB owners. It's admittedly still probably more accurate than I am, but I'm a goober and that would bother me.

I actually really like the RDB a lot and would have one by now if I had more cash on-hand. But between the two, if the MDR is 3/4 of what it's supposed to be and is ever released, I will grab one of those first and get an RDB further down the road.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2017, 03:36:29 PM »

Sure...  The MDR comes from a company that has the demonstrated attitude of "get it right before it ships" and comes from a company known for quality. Those are two subjective reasons while objective reasons would be that it can handle 7.62x51mm sized cartridges as well as be configured for smaller ones as well, all without needing anything more complicated than a torque wrench, the controls are better executed and protected, not to mention don't look like something made from an old soup can.

Kel-Tec is a great idea and patent factory, but they should really slow down and fully test their products before moving the design to production where they need to hire a platoon of QC people to make sure that the get it right the first time. The issues that hsve been reported about their products are embarrassing and easily prevented.

Kurt
Whoops

« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2017, 04:29:41 PM »

Sure...  The MDR comes from a company that has the demonstrated attitude of "get it right before it ships" and comes from a company known for quality. Those are two subjective reasons while objective reasons would be that it can handle 7.62x51mm sized cartridges as well as be configured for smaller ones as well, all without needing anything more complicated than a torque wrench, the controls are better executed and protected, not to mention don't look like something made from an old soup can.

Kel-Tec is a great idea and patent factory, but they should really slow down and fully test their products before moving the design to production where they need to hire a platoon of QC people to make sure that the get it right the first time. The issues that hsve been reported about their products are embarrassing and easily prevented.

Despite being an admitted KT fanboy, I gotta agree. I wish KT would spend just a little more time on QC. I've been lucky enough to not have any real issues with their firearms until this year (though tbh I've always had excellent accuracy with them, despite what I've heard from others- guess I'm lucky). I also wish they'd spend like, 6 months making their guns look sexier. I love the way the gen 2 sub 2k looks compared to the gen 1 for example, I think the RDB and RFB could use this treatment too. I also don't like being the OP spring on any firearm if it's not field stripped, but that's just a nitpick for me (then again, it's also the sign of an ingress point).
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2017, 07:28:39 PM »

Well for this argument, I am only referring to the 5.56 rifle. It is disingenuous to compare two rifles of different caliber. To be frank, I have no intention of buying the MDR in .30 cal. I am only interested in the MDR in 5.56.

So the 5.56 user in mind; Objectively, what advantage does the MDR have over the RDB?

Again, the 7.62 argument is only valid if a potential buyer wants the 7.62 version.
Siris

« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2017, 11:38:28 PM »

Well for this argument, I am only referring to the 5.56 rifle. It is disingenuous to compare two rifles of different caliber. To be frank, I have no intention of buying the MDR in .30 cal. I am only interested in the MDR in 5.56.

So the 5.56 user in mind; Objectively, what advantage does the MDR have over the RDB?

Again, the 7.62 argument is only valid if a potential buyer wants the 7.62 version.

To be fair that kind of ruins your comparison from the start as the mdr is designed as a 30 call but convrtts to a 556. It's like asking what is the advantage of an m-14 over the 16 but then discounting caliber from that discussion. And yes I know it's not a perfect analogy but I believe it conveys the point.

What ever happened to Democrat meaning drunken partying and pistol duels on the white house lawn, beating your would be assassin so senseless your security has to protect them from you, and one of your only two regrets is that you didn't kill your own vice president and running mate.
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2017, 07:39:08 AM »

Not really because the MDR does indeed come as a stand alone 5.56 rifle and there are many people like me who are only interested in the 5.56 MDR. 

I mean, you really can purchase a 5.56 MDR without having the .308 version. For a user of the 5.56 MDR, the comparison is valid.
Siris

« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2017, 10:14:46 AM »

Not really because the MDR does indeed come as a stand alone 5.56 rifle and there are many people like me who are only interested in the 5.56 MDR. 

I mean, you really can purchase a 5.56 MDR without having the .308 version. For a user of the 5.56 MDR, the comparison is valid.

Purchase yes but regardless the design is such

What ever happened to Democrat meaning drunken partying and pistol duels on the white house lawn, beating your would be assassin so senseless your security has to protect them from you, and one of your only two regrets is that you didn't kill your own vice president and running mate.
INV136

« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2017, 01:28:33 PM »

I have a 5.56 caliber bullpup rifle. The best one available, the Steyr Aug. I don't have a 7.62 Nato caliber bullpup rifle because the one's currently available (KelTec RFB bullpup and an M14 modification kit gun/ The K&M 7.62 isn't yet available and I don't want one of those either) don't interest me. I want a 7.62 Nato bullpup rifle and would get a Steyr Aug in 7.62 if they made them. They don't. I don't understand why anyone would want a 5.56 caliber MDR. Especially with all the MDR hate going on around this forum. Just get a Steyr Aug or a Tavor and be done with it and this forum. I would. Once I get my MDR I'll move on to other gun interests. 
reason

« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2017, 02:21:13 PM »

INV136 said:

Especially with all the MDR hate going on around this forum. Just get a Steyr Aug or a Tavor and be done with it and this forum. I would. Once I get my MDR I'll move on to other gun interests.

Really? You see alot of people hating the MDR as opposed to frustration against DT's handling of it?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length