Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 02:30:13 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News: The 3rd Annual  BULLPUP CONVENTION                                              27 - 28 September, 2014                               Rockcastle Shooting Center, Park City, KY                              Saturday Manufacturers Showcase and Live Shoot                                Sunday The Bullpup Challenge                              See you there!!                

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
Brownells . . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . . . . . . . FFL123.com . . . carhartt . . . K & M Arms
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Precision/Long Range Bullpups (Bolt Action)
| |-+  Other Precision Bullpup's
| | |-+  CBRPS Mosin Nagant "Cossack" stocks Invoice/Ship 11/05/12!
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: CBRPS Mosin Nagant "Cossack" stocks Invoice/Ship 11/05/12!  (Read 16706 times)
SmilingBob

« on: October 18, 2012, 04:28:41 PM »

I've been very pleased with my Saiga 12 bullpup stock from Center Balanced Systems, and decided to place an order for a Mosin Nagant "Cossack" stock (the one with the full rail).

Just got the word that they'll invoice/ship on November 5!

Can't wait Wink
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 06:11:41 PM by SmilingBob » Logged

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Anson Heinlein
Sgt_P
Administrator
Bullpup Fanatic

SEMPER FIDELIS

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 05:36:25 PM »

That's great!

Looks like they are shipping quicker...

"Retreat, hell we just got here!" 
Capt L Williams, USMC, WWI (Belleau Wood)
SmilingBob

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 06:12:01 PM »

Good catch, meant to write November 5 Smiley.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Anson Heinlein
savage1r

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 07:17:05 PM »

Now you just have to wait till Datamancer comes out with his 10 round mosin mag, then that platform will be really badass.
SmilingBob

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 01:46:07 PM »

I've been on Datamancer's mailing list for the Mosin 10-round mag since February of this year, but have not gotten any updates. He's been working on this since at least August of 2010, and did a shooting demonstration of it in May of 2011.

He's a very talented craftsman with a great concept. I sincerely hope he's able to get the product to market as I'm sure there are a lot of Mosin owners who would love to have a product like that (myself included Wink...)

racky

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 10:25:35 PM »

On cbrps's website they show a picture of the cossack "Carbine" its beautiful, I hope they make a Cossack Carbine for the ak's
SmilingBob

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 07:17:22 PM »

I think the only AK stock they have in production right now is the "AK Spike X1S" stock. I've got one of those on order, and they should start shipping next week.

wbassett

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 12:17:44 AM »

When you get your kit can you do me a favor?
Before you assemble it take one side off the front and take pictures of how the Nagant fits in the front assembly.

Thanks!
dragonspeed

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 02:13:30 AM »

Hmmm, I see from their site that they have a crossback "pistol" model.  Is it possible to still have that 26" minimum length for it to be a pistol, if its in a bullpup configuration?

Edit: nevermind, i see what they mean by pistol.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:16:13 AM by dragonspeed » Logged
Ascinder

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 01:46:15 AM »

Finally actually invoiced mine today. Hopefully we'll get to see one of these in the wild soon!
Ascinder

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 05:00:43 PM »

Well, my kit showed up last week. I opened the package up and started going to town. Firstly-ths instructions are just plain terrible. Having said that, with a little common sense and creative thinking, you can figure out how it all goes together. I was surprised the trigger(3 different kinds are provided BTW) is made of plastic. It is not the best setup IMHO. It has a lot of play left to right and up and down. When pulling it, you don't notice, but when handling it you get a cheap "rinky dink" feeling. I was also a little surprised that the area forward of the action was not more supported. There is basically a free floating barrel bushing that is held to the stock by three screws. The only other gripe I have is that the sight riser could have been made to accommodate retaining the stock iron sights in addition to the scope mounting. Sure you wouldn't be able to raise the sights up to the ridiculous levels they are marked for, but for anything at a reasonable range they'd work fine. I know this stuff sounds a bit whiney, but that's just it, when everything else on this gun is so good, the little bad stuff stands out in stark contrast. The rifle is now a delight to handle, looks 1000x better and actually fits into a rifle bag. I haven't shot it in the new configuration yet, but I cycled it a couple of times and I have to say, the left handed cocking is easy and intuitive to pick up. The hardware is top notch and I'm pretty happy with the purchase overall. I just wish we had a parts diagram/inventory and some better instructions. I am out of town this week, but I will try and set aside some time this weekend to make a video detailing the buildup.
Darkmage

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »

Excellent! I'm sure we're all looking forward to your video.
Night_Viper

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 03:02:22 PM »

I'd love to see your video too. I've been interested in this stock for a while, but would definitely like to see more feedback on it. I haven't been able to find any info other than whats on their website about it. I tried contacting the company several times to no avail. Made me & some friends who were interested in getting the stock a little weary about ordering. It even seemed like you had to jump through hoops just to order one.

What's the deal with the Mosin 10rd mag? Will that work with this stock? When is it expected to be available?
wbassett

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 04:47:24 PM »

Well, my kit showed up last week. I opened the package up and started going to town. Firstly-ths instructions are just plain terrible. Having said that, with a little common sense and creative thinking, you can figure out how it all goes together. I was surprised the trigger(3 different kinds are provided BTW) is made of plastic. It is not the best setup IMHO. It has a lot of play left to right and up and down. When pulling it, you don't notice, but when handling it you get a cheap "rinky dink" feeling. I was also a little surprised that the area forward of the action was not more supported. There is basically a free floating barrel bushing that is held to the stock by three screws. The only other gripe I have is that the sight riser could have been made to accommodate retaining the stock iron sights in addition to the scope mounting. Sure you wouldn't be able to raise the sights up to the ridiculous levels they are marked for, but for anything at a reasonable range they'd work fine. I know this stuff sounds a bit whiney, but that's just it, when everything else on this gun is so good, the little bad stuff stands out in stark contrast. The rifle is now a delight to handle, looks 1000x better and actually fits into a rifle bag. I haven't shot it in the new configuration yet, but I cycled it a couple of times and I have to say, the left handed cocking is easy and intuitive to pick up. The hardware is top notch and I'm pretty happy with the purchase overall. I just wish we had a parts diagram/inventory and some better instructions. I am out of town this week, but I will try and set aside some time this weekend to make a video detailing the buildup.
Pictures please!  Plenty of pictures Smiley

I'm especially interested in what it looks like taken apart and what the trigger linkage looks like.
wbassett

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 10:50:21 PM »

Come on guys... you're killing us!

If you have the stock please post pics!  Lots and lots of pictures.  Pictures of it finished... pictures of each stage of the build... pictures of the front trigger...

As many pictures as you can!
JaCkHoLe

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 06:31:01 PM »

Anything new on this?  I had the opportunity to pick one of these up locally for cheap but I was a day late and a dollar short Sad  I would really like to have one but I find it difficult to justify the price on such a cheap gun.  And of course I still haven't found a very cohesive review that answers the questions I have.
wbassett

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 08:10:53 AM »

All this time and these have been available for a while now and NOBODY has detailed pictures or a review?Huh? Sad
Plinker
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 02:12:04 PM »

I'm curious about this, too!  I really dig the designs, and the few videos I've seen seem to show them to be good stocks.  However, their communication is non-existent and makes me wonder if there is substance behind the fluff.

The next time you think everyone should be equal in outcome, read Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron".  If you don't fear that kind of world, please don't vote.
SmilingBob

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 01:09:15 AM »

Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of the country, back in the states for 3 weeks, then back out again...Just getting caught up on posts Smiley. That said, I did get a chance to put my MN Cossack together, shoot it, film it, produce a video and post it Smiley.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q_NtXGo3QTc?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Q_NtXGo3QTc?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Please note that the filming of these videos comes secondary to actually getting out and shooting for me -  the "camera man" is almost always one of my buddies and his smartphone. I'm not a professional gun reviewer, and am not compensated for doing this, it's just for fun, so please keep that in mind when watching Wink.

That said, here's my review:

A few words about CBRPS
----------------------------------
This is my 3rd CBRPS build, my others are a Saiga 12 Spike Base (a couple of videos of it on my YouTube channel) and an AK Spike X1S (I believe I posted pictures of it here, but if not, I will - video soon to come).

Having said as much, I've become very familiar with CBRPS, their products and processes. Their core competency is delivering a quality product at a reasonable price that can be adapted to firearms which have wide and varying tolerances.

As you might expect with any semi-custom solution, some fitting is sometimes required. I would agree that the instructions aren't always clear to me, but Bernie has posted a number of assembly videos on his YouTube channel (these are extremely helpful!). Mr. Rolfe is very good about answering emails and phone calls promptly, and has always been friendly and accommodating.

The ordering process
---------------------------
Orders are placed via email, which puts you in a queue for the next batch of stocks, and the turn around time is usually about 4 months or so depending on when and what you order - all production updates are provided on his website (www.cbrps.com).

He does NOT take payment until the stocks are finished and ready to ship, at which point, you'll receive an email with paypal invoice. Upon payment, your order is shipped via USPS.

Upon receipt, what you're get is a set of parts, allen keys fitted for reach of the screws and the instruction sheet.

Assembly
------------
As Ascinder mentioned, the instructions could be improved with additional pictures, however, they written in precise language. You will want to read the instructions carefully before you attempt to assemble them.

Some stocks are designed to accommodate different variations between firearms, so it's important to make sure you're using the correct part for YOUR weapon.

About the base rifle
-------------------------
The base rifle I started with was a customized Hungarian Mosin Nagant M44 carbine. The previous owner had the barrel cut down to 18" and threaded for 14x1 LH twist to fit a standard AK muzzle brake (he used a modified Krinkov brake).

It had been placed in an ATI Monte Carlo stock, and he was using a scouting scope in order to clear the stock bolt.

I wanted to put a higher powered scope on mine, but needed to have the bolt bent, and the scope base (which attached to the rear leaf sight) wasn't a very stable mounting platform for the optics I'd chosen.

I had the bolt shipped off to George Tossan to have it bent, the work was reasonably priced and it received the finished product in a very timely fashion.

Stock review
----------------
This stock was just perfect for the setup I was looking for. I got myself a stable platform to mount and level my scope properly.

As Ascinder pointed out, there were 3 different triggers to choose from, but two of them were tight in my stock and would need to be filed down a hair to allow them to move freely back and forth. This wasn't a big concern for me as it's a lot easier to take a little off than it is to put material back on Smiley. Since the triggers are replaceable, someone with the means to do so could machine themselves a really nice aluminum trigger, but the plastic one works well enough for me.

I don't have any way to measure the pull, but it didn't feel any worse than the stock trigger.

The grip is a bit thick, but I have big hands, so it fits me pretty well. Fully assembled with the scope, it's a little bit heavy, but well balanced and easy to shoot. I had no issues shouldering and firing it one-handed (as demonstrated in the video), though by far, it was most comfortable when shooting from a prone position.

My only real complaint that you can't cycle the weapon without pulling the butt-plate away from your shoulder to cycle it.

There are a couple of ways this could be addressed, e.g. changing my posture or extending out the butt-plate, I'm leaning toward option two...

Final thoughts
-------------------
Overall, I'm very happy with what I bought. It works great, and everyone who's shot it has been impressed with it. Given the barrel length and muzzle brake I used, it's more of a flamethrower than a rifle, but it's still fun as all hell to shoot Smiley.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 05:43:57 AM by SmilingBob » Logged

SmilingBob

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 05:15:34 AM »

@Night_Viper

I hope my review/video was helpful. As I mentioned, this is the 3rd stock I've purchased and have never had difficulty reaching them - how did you go about contacting them?

The ordering process is pretty straight forward:

1. Send an email to brwebsite[at]yahoo[dot]com and tell him which model you are interested in. You will be placed on a waiting list, and when that round of stocks is ready for production, he will let you know and confirm your order.

2. When he confirms your order, be sure to specify any specific features you want (painted/unpainted, any specific options you're interested in on that model etc.)

3. Production updates are posted on his website (http://www.cbrps.com/Cost.html), and generally take 3-4 months to produce.

4. When the run is complete, you'll get a PayPal invoice (again, you aren't paying for anything until the product is finished), and he will ship you the stock  upon receipt of payment.

As to a 10-round Mosin Nagant magazine, the only one currently in production that I'm aware of comes with Archangel Manufacturing's new stock (http://www.archangelmanufacturing.com/).  So far as I can tell, they do sell their 10-round magazines separately, and as far as I've read, it's only compatible with the stock it's designed for.

Prior to that, there was a guy out there (http://www.mosinmags.com/) who at one point was looking to offer a 10-round mag for the Mosin Nagant, however, I've been on his mailing list for 2 years without any updates.

I hope that helps!

@wbassett

Sorry for not posting pictures/video of the assembly process - if you go to Bernie's YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/CenterBalancedRifles/) you can see some of the assembly videos he's posted. All in all, the general idea isn't that much different between products so you can get a feel for how they're put together.

@JaCkHoLe

With regard to the cost, I can appreciate where you are coming from - after all, it's still a Mosin Nagant, even if it's wrapped in fancy stock Smiley. From a value standpoint, the stock is (in my opinion) commensurate with the quality of materials and workmanship.

It was a fun project and what I got out of it was a unique and fun to shoot rifle. Is it worth it? Well, I leave that up to the individual, but I'm very satisfied with what I got.

I posted a review that might answer some of your questions, but if not, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length