Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2017, 02:39:12 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Precision/Long Range Bullpups (Heavy Calibers)
| |-+  Desert Tactical Arms SRS, SRS Covert, HTI
| | |-+  SRS Covert .308 or SRS 26” 6.5 Creedmoor
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: SRS Covert .308 or SRS 26” 6.5 Creedmoor  (Read 4624 times)
Sdevante
^

« on: March 26, 2017, 12:31:29 PM »

After years of waiting I’ve finally amassed the $$$ to get an SRS but now I can’t decide what I want. All along I thought I wanted a Covert in .308, particularly now that MDR is coming out to share caliber - but the more I think about it, all my rifles are SBRs or bullpups, so maybe super short isn’t as important.

FWIW my longest local range is 600 yards so I’m assuming either would be fine for that purpose. Theoretically I’d like to go hunting at some point but I’m not sure this would be the best rifle for that anyways.

Any reason I should lean one way or the other?

Thanks!
readr1
^

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 09:14:01 PM »

The only difference between them is the barrel length and the forearm.  the covert forearm I've not heard of anyone who bought the covert and decided they preferred the longer forearm, its always been the other way around.  I did it myself, got a srs and then bought the covert forearm and install tool.  the only reason to get the longer forearm is if you want to hang a bunch of junk on your rifle. this advise is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 12:06:49 AM »

I wanted the covert for the size. You can still run the 26" barrels in it but you can't use the 16" barrels in the full size. I ordered mine as a covert with 26" 260 Remington barrel. I can get a little more case volume in the 260 than the Creedmoore. Then later I bought a 16" 308 barrel but even before that I made a 50 caliber wildcat with a 16" barrel. That was my driving factor for wanting the covert chassis.

My biggest complaints about the covert are;

1. The bipod doesn't get much weight on it with the 16" barrels. It doesn't seem as stable as it does with more weight out front.
2. My scope ends up almost flush to the muzzle on 16" barrels. I am wanting to try to find a scope with less eye relief and shorter overall.

But if I had to do it all over again, I would still buy the covert.

As far as your caliber choices. Either will do fine at 600 yards. Past that, I would go with a 260/6.5 caliber.

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
Sdevante
^

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 12:05:52 PM »

Thanks for the info everybody. After much mulling about, I decided to go with a 22” regular SRS for now so I avoid the issue of my scope hanging out near the muzzle, then in a year or so once I get a DT can & stamp back, I will probably pick up the Covert forearm and short barrel. And a 6.5 creed moor. And a SAC .223 conversion. And a .... my wife is going to divorce me haha.

Should be here by Friday, very excited!  Grin
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »

Congrats on ordering one! Of course you have to post pics once you get it all set up.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
Sericus
^
New Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 03:39:40 PM »

So can a regular SRS' forearm be switched out for the shorter covert, or is it built into the entire chasis?  If this is true I may do the same, get the regular SRS, and then purchase the shorter forearm.
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 04:18:02 PM »

So can a regular SRS' forearm be switched out for the shorter covert, or is it built into the entire chasis?  If this is true I may do the same, get the regular SRS, and then purchase the shorter forearm.

From what I understand yes you can.

Sericus
^
New Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 04:28:31 PM »

I have yet to find any aftermarket or DT forearms for sale... am I blind?
readr1
^

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 10:40:37 PM »

Give Greg at Primal Rights a call or call Desert Tech direct.

https://www.primalrights.com
coldboremiracle

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 01:08:53 PM »

From what I understand yes you can.
Its not as easy as most people think, lots of guys end up stripping the forearm coupler when they try to swap them. Make sure you know what your doing, or with someone who does.

The first shot, is worth all the rest.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT

I work for Desert Tech, happy to help wherever I can.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length