Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 02:29:30 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:        2017 NRA Annual Meetings and Exhibits       -       27 through 30, April, 2017       -       Atlanta, Georgia

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  Variable power optic choice, help!
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Variable power optic choice, help!  (Read 593 times)
os.mieczkowski

« on: March 20, 2017, 06:34:03 PM »

I am stuck and I really cant make up my mind, so i am coming here to ask fellow owners on what they would. Im looking to get a variable power scope for my tavor because of my eye sight and astigmatism. While my meprolight does "the job" at 100 yards, personally i would like to able to see the targets better incase I dont have my glasses on me. This is also my "go to rifle" and my home defense rifle. So i am debating between the following

Primary arms 1x6 Gen 3 (link from amazon)
https://www.amazon.com/Primary-Arms-1-6X24mm-Riflescope-Patented/dp/B06XD6G7K1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490048996&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=primary+arms+gen+3&psc=1

I love these reticles and my father owns a similar scope for his ak rifle.

Trijicon Accupower 1x4
https://www.amazon.com/Trijicon-RS24-C-1900000-AccuPower-Riflescope-Crosshair/dp/B00VXLR03K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490049043&sr=8-1&keywords=trijicon%2Baccupower%2B1-4&th=1

Im strongly considering the trijicon just because.... its a trijicon. I know i can always depend on this scope. It will have superior glass. My local range is 100 yards and the furthest ill shoot is 300 yards.

Mount it will be a larue tactical because it shaves a few ounces off the american defense.

If anyone has something they like please share it and your experiences. Any advice, hints or suggestions are welcome.

jwaruszyla

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 07:54:24 PM »

The Trijicon will definitely be much better quality in every way (other then losing 2x) but your paying for it no doubt. Are you sold on those too? I have a vortex viper PST 1-4x...optical quality is very nice ( probably close to the trijicon) and saves you some cash

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-viper-pst-1-4x24-riflescope.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=PLA&utm_term=&utm_campaign=1100003159972
os.mieczkowski

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 08:01:20 PM »

I can get the trijicon for about 630 to my front door. I do not like the pst because of their reticles. Sportsmanguide.com is giving 20% off on first orders so about 612 and then their s/h
phantoms

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 12:17:24 PM »

I'm thinking of moving from my Holosun red dot to a Vortex Spitfire 3X (http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-spitfire-3x-prism-scope-with-ebr-556b-moa-reticle) which has several great reviews. It's not a varible scope, but a fixed 3 power prism scope. This is better recommend for astigmatism than a normal red dot.
os.mieczkowski

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 02:01:38 PM »

Dont have much interest in a prism since it is a fixed magnification. The variable power scopes have the same type of laser etched reticles but give me flexibility of having best of both worlds
rbuzz

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 09:50:30 AM »

I can't give you any first hand reports of my experience with the product yet, but I was in the same boat as you. My Tavor has a Hartman MH-1  reflex sight on it because I feel that the Tavor was designed as a close quarter combat rifle and wanted it to stay that way, but for the AR I wanted something that would allow me to reach farther distances, and for that I felt that I needed something with magnification. I also wanted to retain close quarter combat abilities. I see no reason why a variable power scope wouldn't also work very well on a Tavor, I just decided to go another route.
So after exhausting research I finally decided to give the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 a try. It is on the FedEx truck and should be delivered later today. While there are undoubtedly better examples out there, from everything I have heard the Strike Eagle gets top ratings, plus it has one thing that most others do not, 6X magnification instead of the usual 4X. It has a lighted reticle so for close quarters it is similar to a red dot, but has the flexibility of 6X for long range.
Everything I have read about the Strike Eagle has been pretty positive and the price is pretty good too, and of course the lifetime warranty from Vortex is hard to pass up.
So you might want to throw this into your consideration. It might not be what you are looking for, but then again it never hurts to look into. As for me, I'm hoping that it works out to be everything that I expect it to be. I'll know for sure in a few days. 

os.mieczkowski

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 09:55:37 AM »

I actually made a decision yesterday and its neither. I bought a trijicon acog. I think I paid 1000 for it shipped so it was a small difference compared to the accupower which was 680+210 for a larue mount. Since this is my go to fighting rifle which is locked in my safe downstairs or first floor of my house, in the event i have a home invasion I will not be able to get to it anyway. So I opted to get "the best battle rifle optic" because at 25 yards this optic will have no issues and in a few months after i save some of my pennies, I will put an rmr on it. For now I will buy a mount because I have a vortex venom sitting on a pistol that I will try out.

bhunted

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 10:07:49 AM »

Strike Eagle is a good decision. Worth the price for its lifetime warranty, true 1 power both eyes open capability and var power. I have it on mine on occasion depending what I need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 10:37:17 AM »

The PA variable or the Prism is the way to go. I have NF and Kahles that cost near $2500.00 Own 2 Vortex that are under $1000. For what the PA costs and how well it works it's a No Brainer. And like I said the Prisms are also GTG. For what the X-95 is mainly for I prefer the Prism or occasionally switching to an RDS. 
Mikelindsey

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 11:42:50 AM »

The Tavor wasn't really designed for accuracy beyond 100 yrds.  Think of it that way and your decision should be easier.  I run a Trijicon.
rbuzz

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 08:20:25 PM »

Strike Eagle is a good decision. Worth the price for its lifetime warranty, true 1 power both eyes open capability and var power. I have it on mine on occasion depending what I need.

As I mentioned in a previous post I was expecting FedEx to deliver my new Strike Eagle for use on my AR. It did come today and although I haven't shot it, I'm really impressed with it so far. The clarity and brightness of the lens is great!  I think I'm gonna like it.
bhunted

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 08:52:20 PM »

As I mentioned in a previous post I was expecting FedEx to deliver my new Strike Eagle for use on my AR. It did come today and although I haven't shot it, I'm really impressed with it so far. The clarity and brightness of the lens is great!  I think I'm gonna like it.

Once you start liking Vortex, others will follow. I have several of their optics and they all impress me. 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AverageJo

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 07:16:06 AM »

I actually made a decision yesterday and its neither. I bought a trijicon acog. I think I paid 1000 for it shipped so it was a small difference compared to the accupower which was 680+210 for a larue mount. Since this is my go to fighting rifle which is locked in my safe downstairs or first floor of my house, in the event i have a home invasion I will not be able to get to it anyway. So I opted to get "the best battle rifle optic" because at 25 yards this optic will have no issues and in a few months after i save some of my pennies, I will put an rmr on it. For now I will buy a mount because I have a vortex venom sitting on a pistol that I will try out.

Excellent choice my friend. A best battle rifle optic it is.

os.mieczkowski

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 07:32:47 AM »

Well that guy is doing what I'm gonna end up doing.
AverageJo

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 08:22:03 AM »

Well that guy is doing what I'm gonna end up doing.

Like you said they are a true ultimate battle sights. I have 4 of them identical. :0)
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 09:41:19 AM »

I wouldn't be without my TA11 acog. Sure there are better sights out there with better glass but you will have to pay double for them and IMHO they aren't worth double. A good acog can be had for around $1000, and it's a bargain for what you get.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length