Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2017, 08:33:24 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Steyr A1 preban?? Jump on it or haggle
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Steyr A1 preban?? Jump on it or haggle  (Read 940 times)
bravo619

« on: March 18, 2017, 09:11:29 PM »

Is 3500 for one in ex condition without box or paperwork a good price or a bit high. Thx for your help  he seems to think it's worth 4k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/bravo619/458.gif
bravo619

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 09:38:53 PM »

Thanks for any help guys

45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/bravo619/458.gif
EWTHeckman

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 09:43:49 PM »

No one wants to help me?

This board is fairly slow moving. Most people won't see your original post after only 25 minutes. Be patient. Someone who can help will eventually see it, but it could take as long as a day or two.

(I can't answer your question. Sorry.)
ezvalor

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 11:03:14 PM »

The pre-ban AUG's are definitely a collector's item and demand sets the price. It will always come down to how bad you want it and how soon the seller needs to part ways with it. FWIW I bought a very lightly used preban A1 (1984 date) with 20" barrel for 3k 5 years ago. Every year the supply of owners wanting to part ways with them is drying up. Hope this helps.
ttarp

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 11:13:18 PM »

I don't know values, but I saw a 20" OD green sell for $3,000 on another forum late last year. 

Heck I didn't even know A1's were available in the 16" flavor.
bravo619

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 12:58:46 AM »

The one pictured is a 16" right?  Also are factory boxes still available or were they just shipped in a plain brown box?
P/s thank you All for your help I'm still learning but have the Aug bug badly:)
45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

photog22740
^

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 11:46:08 AM »

The one pictured is a 16" right?  Also are factory boxes still available or were they just shipped in a plain brown box?
P/s thank you All for your help I'm still learning but have the Aug bug badly:)

Yes that's the 16"...my understanding is that there were many fewer of those imported than the green 20"; Pete Athens at Pjs Steyr would be the duty expect, or on this board maleante is also a wealth of knowledge.  That price doesn't seem off the mark from what i have seen those go for, but it does fluctuate a lot.  There's been one on gunbroker of late like the one you posted listed for 4500 or thereabouts i think. 
photog22740
^

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 11:57:42 AM »

Here's one with two barrels with a Buy Now price of $4200:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/622334544
maleante
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »

Sorry, that's not worth $3500. MAYBE, big MAYBE, value is $2200-2500.

It walks like a duck, it talks like a duck, it almost even looks like a duck, but it's not a duck. If you expand your image, you have a couple things going on.
1. The receiver near the charging handle has some definite use. Not that this is a bad thing for an AUG, but to get that kind of money you need a pristine gun. Lots of that paint has been chipped away.
2. The bolt carrier is pulled back into the stock, why can't we see the serial numbers? Hint #1 that it isn't a true 16" AUG.
3. The scope adjustment caps and the fixing screw on the optic are the old hex style. Hint #2 that this probably started life as a green 20" gun.

To get me to pay $3500 I need to see matching serial numbers, detailed photographs, factory test target, factory box, maybe a manual (not a deal breaker) and I'd look at the tell-tale signs that show use such as the trunnion face, barrel, muzzle device, gas block, piston face, hammerpack, behind the ejection port of the stock, sides of the carrier, bolt, and edges of the charging handle.

The problem that unsuspecting or naive buyers can find themselves in with the preban guns are sellers turning a turd into a delicious sandwich. There's a lot one could do to a well used AUG to make it appear (to the unknowing) that it is what it really isn't.

As always buyer beware.
photog22740
^

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 12:55:44 PM »

Sorry, that's not worth $3500. MAYBE, big MAYBE, value is $2200-2500.

It walks like a duck, it talks like a duck, it almost even looks like a duck, but it's not a duck. If you expand your image, you have a couple things going on.
1. The receiver near the charging handle has some definite use. Not that this is a bad thing for an AUG, but to get that kind of money you need a pristine gun. Lots of that paint has been chipped away.
2. The bolt carrier is pulled back into the stock, why can't we see the serial numbers? Hint #1 that it isn't a true 16" AUG.
3. The scope adjustment caps and the fixing screw on the optic are the old hex style. Hint #2 that this probably started life as a green 20" gun.

To get me to pay $3500 I need to see matching serial numbers, detailed photographs, factory test target, factory box, maybe a manual (not a deal breaker) and I'd look at the tell-tale signs that show use such as the trunnion face, barrel, muzzle device, gas block, piston face, hammerpack, behind the ejection port of the stock, sides of the carrier, bolt, and edges of the charging handle.

The problem that unsuspecting or naive buyers can find themselves in with the preban guns are sellers turning a turd into a delicious sandwich. There's a lot one could do to a well used AUG to make it appear (to the unknowing) that it is what it really isn't.

As always buyer beware.

What he said ha. 

Like i said, maleante's a wealth of knowledge.
bravo619

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 02:14:11 PM »

Omg you guys just saved me a heartbreak thank you very very much!

photog22740
^

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 05:29:13 PM »

I'm glad maleante jumped in and set the record straight.  After he did, I remembered reading awhile back that some people cut the barrels back to 16" and dyed the stock black to look like the more scarce model, but had forgotten about that.  Anyway, keep you eye on gunbroker....every so often a green 20" comes up.  There was one one there a week or so ago that kept getting reposted with the price lowered because of no bids.  Might find one to your liking.  I picked up a nice one that was said to be mint and every indication from my uninformed mind is it is, and paid $2500 for it.  Good luck!
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length