Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 02:27:40 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:        2017 NRA Annual Meetings and Exhibits       -       27 through 30, April, 2017       -       Atlanta, Georgia

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  Firearms News x95 Article
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Firearms News x95 Article  (Read 1360 times)
ignorantGoose

« on: March 13, 2017, 02:45:45 PM »

There was a thread earlier about the then upcoming 6th issue of Firearms News in February 2017, which was to contain an article on the x95.  It's been released since, and it included some testing with several types of ammunition.  The results were as follows:

69-grain Sierra MatchKing HP = 1.4 moa
62-grain Barnes TSX = 1.2 moa
77-grain Sierra Tipped MatchKing = 1.1 moa
77-grain Sierra Hollow Point OTM = .9"? (May have meant .9 moa)

All shooting was off the bench at 100 meters, with a factory configured x95 and a Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44mm scope.  I could not find information on number of groups fired and shots per group for each load, but I think it's safe to assume they were good enough to not be misleading.  The testing seemed pretty extensive, and included ballistics information "using the materials and techniques developed by the late Dr. Martin L. Fackler at the US Army’s Wound Ballistics Laboratory."

The editor, Peter G. Kokalis, died soon after writing the article.  I believe it was the last one he wrote.  The article contains an obituary, saying "He was truly one of a kind."
Jfoster99

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 03:01:32 PM »

Wow... these must be new production  x95's. ( x95 ver 2.0).. I tried 77 grain ST Match King's and was getting 2 -3 moa.  I would sell my x95 and rebuy a new production if I could find a load to shoot .9moa consistently.
ignorantGoose

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 03:14:47 PM »

Wow... these must be new production  x95's. ( x95 ver 2.0).. I tried 77 grain ST Match King's and was getting 2 -3 moa.  I would sell my x95 and rebuy a new production if I could find a load to shoot .9moa consistently.

I think differing results have more to do with differing skill levels on the x95 as opposed to a change in the gun.  However, it's possible that there were some hitches early in production that made older x95's less accurate--after all, they had to change some things to make the x95 compatible for US laws, and some parts were made in the US some in Israel, and just generally all the complications that come with producing a gun for the first time.  IWI is also known in Israel for doing "stealth updates".  I kind of doubt it though--I saw people having complaints about the original Tavor's accuracy, but after some time people got close to 1 moa with it.  I bet the same thing is happening with the x95.  We know it's hard to bench and hard to switch to from an AR background, so I just think people are learning to shoot it better.  Nobody's going to shoot a new platform at it's full accuracy potential at first.  At this point, multiple sources have gotten 1.25-1.4 moa or better with the right ammo so I feel pretty confident the x95 is capable of that in the right hands.  I wouldn't expect consistent sub-moa, nor would I care about it really.    

I consider it 100% beyond doubt that any x95 can get 2 moa with the right ammo, and if it performs worse than 3 moa with all loads it can be sent back to IWI because they guarantee 3 moa.  

Again a disclaimer that I have no personal experience with the x95, I'm just making educated guesses based on what I've seen.  
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:33:50 PM by ignorantGoose » Logged
Mindless-Focus

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 05:03:19 PM »

Didn't they also recrown the barrel and remove the "U" brace to further increase accuracy?
ignorantGoose

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 05:09:42 PM »

Didn't they also recrown the barrel and remove the "U" brace to further increase accuracy?

I couldn't find that in the article.  Would you happen to know on what page number it says they did that?

EDIT: I just realized you're likely referring to IWI, not the reviewer in the article.  IWI did remove the U brace--I heard this is because it was only necessary for the full auto version.  However, it is possible that it improved accuracy as well.  I don't know for sure if they recrowned  barrels, but again I could see there being an issue initially due to some mis-configuration of machinery or something.  I'm really speculating about there being some problems with the older x95s, due to hearing that the Israeli ones are quite accurate.  I'm pretty sure improved accuracy is due to improved familiarity/experience with the platform.  That just seems like a more logical and probable explanation to me.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 05:22:57 PM by ignorantGoose » Logged
Mindless-Focus

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 05:23:49 PM »

Yeah, IWI recrowned tge barrels as well.
ignorantGoose

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 05:25:33 PM »

Yeah, IWI recrowned tge barrels as well.

Ok, thanks for telling me--that's good to know.  That would certainly also help explain improved accuracy.  
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 07:48:15 PM »

IWI offered to recrown barrels to everyone who had poor accuracy with their X95 when it first came out. I assume IWI probably used the reworked barrel spec for the newer productions.
Razvedka

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 08:18:36 PM »

Where was this offer? I never saw it.
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 06:54:40 PM »

Where was this offer? I never saw it.

Not publicly posted, but those who called them were offered that.
Dragoon

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 07:49:40 PM »

Any further results from people who sent their x95 back to IWI? I haven't paid much attention to accuracy theads for a while.
monkey1911

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 10:45:19 PM »

Anyone have any idea of what S/N range is the better X95s?
downeyg

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 10:36:15 AM »

I second the request.  What is the new batch serial number range?  I purchased my X95 new, on Election Day and it is in the T0059XXX range.
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 01:43:34 PM »

Any further results from people who sent their x95 back to IWI? I haven't paid much attention to accuracy theads for a while.

Look up the video from youtuber 7n6 something, his X95 came back able to shoot 2 MOA, was 4-5 before.
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 01:45:47 PM »

I second the request.  What is the new batch serial number range?  I purchased my X95 new, on Election Day and it is in the T0059XXX range.

My T0060*** shoots 3 MOA using cheap Turkish 223 and triangle reticle M21. I wasn't try to shoot tight groups.
Hivedr.

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »

I second the request.  What is the new batch serial number range?  I purchased my X95 new, on Election Day and it is in the T0059XXX range.

Our two X95s, T0046XXX and T0048XXX are both solid 2.5" moa rifles with a variety (FMJ/HP/SP) of 55gr .223 and down to 2" moa with (FMJ) 55gr 5.56. Both X95s were purchased shortly after the initial released and neither has shown any accuracy issues to date (3500+rds between the two). I will say we have not fire much in the 60gr+ weight range for groups as we have no need for these in the role intend for our X95s. But when fired at "representative size" targets they (60gr+) hit easily out to 200 with RDS. "Sniper/DMR" accurate the X95 is not and never will be, but where it lacks in "Sniper/DMR" accuracy it gains other areas.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:56:23 PM by Hivedr. » Logged
Grizz

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 03:15:42 PM »

I need to load up some 77gr to see what they can do. Does anyone have load info using TAC powder?
badbobdcop

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 10:59:48 AM »

I have been shooting a Tavor and an X95 for a bit . I think the best improvement in accuracy was when I changed my shooting position.  The Tavor is light in the front end.  The weapon begins to move under the effect of recoil before the bullet clears the barrel. Maintaining better control of the weapon is showing better accuracy. With the Tavor I quit using bags or bi-pod.  (The weapon has a polymer frame.  I believe that putting the front end on a bi-pod or bag and putting the back end on another bag flexes the weapon when you put downward, (that is cheek pressure on the weapon).  What is working for me is the podium bi-pod, a really firm grip with the strong hand (I think those flyers or groups that string horizontal may be due to the weapon twisting) and consistent cheek pressure.   
The best factory ammo I have found is the 77 grain IWI,  The best reload I have worked up is 77 grain Sierra HPBT, military brass, Remington 7 1/2 Benchrest primers and 23.5 of TAC. I am getting 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 moa with 68 year old eyes. 
Beat Trash
^

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 06:29:31 PM »

My FDE X95 has a serial number range of T0060xxx. No issues with the accuracy on my sample of one.
ignorantGoose

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 06:35:52 PM »

My FDE X95 has a serial number range of T0060xxx. No issues with the accuracy on my sample of one.

Nice!  If you don't mind my asking, have you shot for groups and measured the spread?  I know that the gun being accurate enough to do whatever you are asking it to do is the most important factor, but I'm always curious what kind of groups different people can get.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length