Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2018, 04:28:14 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Kel-Tec RFB, RDB, M-43 (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  My RDB is sick
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: My RDB is sick  (Read 11491 times)
BrianK

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 04:27:22 PM »

Fused', I figured out what was causing it to the cases. If you really need the pix after this let me know. I saved todays cases. Completely forget my earlier ramblings. I was setting the gas with the steel cased ammo. The necks that got peeled back were from the gas almost but not quite ejecting the case. Then when the bolt slammed the case forward it was hitting on something and making the peeled back area. It did it today also, but once I got enough gas the problem disappeared. I'll never understand why the peeled back area was so flat against the one case neck that I saw the first time. But it sure looked as though it was happening out of the magazine and had been fired. Maybe the one I saw that was flattened made it back into the chamber and got "ironed" before I manually ejected the case.

Anyway, I shot it maybe 30 rounds today to set the gas and check to see how close I was with my crude sight-in before the RDB got sent out. I was only able to shoot out at 41 yards and the sight in  was close enough for now. I got absolutely terrible accuracy with the Russian steel ammo. When I put some Radford Green NATO ammo in it I was shooting cloverleafs. Same for my reloads that I made for another gun and that are 20+ years old. It's early, but it appears this gun will shoot if I feed it good ammo. I need to get out with my brush cutter and open up my range for the year and we still have too much snow for brush cutting. But maybe the range I belong to is open. Maybe I'll take a ride next week. I want to shoot it at 100 yards and more.

I did have 2 reloads that didn't fire today. The primer was barely dented (I thought it broke again!). I'll keep an eye on that. I did take the gun apart and checked out the innards and I didn't see anything screwy. I know the reloads are good. I ran them through the magazine again and they both fired. For awhile I'll be hypersensitive about the gun, hopefully that won't last for long.

Before it broke I had been using dry lube in the gun.... I get fewer problems in the cold with dry lube (goes on wet, then dries as slick as grease [ProLix] ). The gun came back to me very wet from oil on the innards. As forceful as the action is maybe I'll forego the dry lube and just wet lube it unless it becomes a problem. It's not an AR and I had been treating it as though it was. Maybe that was a mistake. I was hoping they would tell me what caused the problem; nothing but crickets.
Tj7

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 06:09:03 PM »

Fused', I figured out what was causing it to the cases. If you really need the pix after this let me know. I saved todays cases. Completely forget my earlier ramblings. I was setting the gas with the steel cased ammo. The necks that got peeled back were from the gas almost but not quite ejecting the case. Then when the bolt slammed the case forward it was hitting on something and making the peeled back area. It did it today also, but once I got enough gas the problem disappeared. I'll never understand why the peeled back area was so flat against the one case neck that I saw the first time. But it sure looked as though it was happening out of the magazine and had been fired. Maybe the one I saw that was flattened made it back into the chamber and got "ironed" before I manually ejected the case.

Anyway, I shot it maybe 30 rounds today to set the gas and check to see how close I was with my crude sight-in before the RDB got sent out. I was only able to shoot out at 41 yards and the sight in  was close enough for now. I got absolutely terrible accuracy with the Russian steel ammo. When I put some Radford Green NATO ammo in it I was shooting cloverleafs. Same for my reloads that I made for another gun and that are 20+ years old. It's early, but it appears this gun will shoot if I feed it good ammo. I need to get out with my brush cutter and open up my range for the year and we still have too much snow for brush cutting. But maybe the range I belong to is open. Maybe I'll take a ride next week. I want to shoot it at 100 yards and more.

I did have 2 reloads that didn't fire today. The primer was barely dented (I thought it broke again!). I'll keep an eye on that. I did take the gun apart and checked out the innards and I didn't see anything screwy. I know the reloads are good. I ran them through the magazine again and they both fired. For awhile I'll be hypersensitive about the gun, hopefully that won't last for long.

Before it broke I had been using dry lube in the gun.... I get fewer problems in the cold with dry lube (goes on wet, then dries as slick as grease [ProLix] ). The gun came back to me very wet from oil on the innards. As forceful as the action is maybe I'll forego the dry lube and just wet lube it unless it becomes a problem. It's not an AR and I had been treating it as though it was. Maybe that was a mistake. I was hoping they would tell me what caused the problem; nothing but crickets.

Thanks for the update, Glad to see they got it working again, and you were able to get the  gas set. I will have an RDB inbound within the next week or so. Keep up the updates letting us know how it shoots. A friend of mine has 2000 down range now with no issues; i am expecting the same.

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of happiness, are the essential principles of a free society. There is no substitute, or partial acceptance. -TJ
BrianK

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 06:43:13 PM »

Tj7, I will definitely keep this updated in the short term.

It handles fantastically, no issues there (except I'm accustomed to the M16/ar15; old folks, new strokes :-) ). I hope it works 100% for you.

Oh, one issue... when shooting from the bench I'm accustomed to putting my left hand under the buttstock to support it and make minor corrections in elevation. That can be a problem with the RDB. Yeah, I got burned. I knew where it poops and I did it anyway. I cannot blame the gun. Habits are hard to break and I caught myself many times doing the exact same thing. Why don't other rifles eject downward? It just makes sense, but it's not tradition. OK, that's my excuse. Old dogs new tricks. I'll get there hopefully after not too many burns. :-)

I like the RDB despite myself.
BrianK

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 04:10:58 PM »

I shot it some more today. This time at 100 yards. It was VERY windy so I'll need to reshoot. But I sighted it in with the can on the end. Very strange, It should have been on the paper after shooting it at 41 yards the other day, but it was way off. I finally got it sighted in and shot a few groups. They were disappointing, but maybe it was the wind. Then I removed the can and shot some groups. At 100 yards I was off the paper, so I set up a target at 41 yards. The group was low by more than 6". Due to the less than desirable groups and the change in POI I was thinking baffle strikes. So I looked in the can and the baffles are still virginal. Plus my can is noted for the lack of impact shift with and without it. So I have no idea what's going on.

Yup, I'll definitely reshoot.

The ammo I was shooting was Radford Green NATO ammo, but I think it has 55g bullets. I have some reloads with 70g bullets. I'll also try to find some M855. Maybe the 1:7 twist of the RDB will prefer heavier bullets; it should. But at this time  I'm most concerned about POI shift with and without the can.

Grifter

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 07:05:47 PM »

Check and make sure that your top rail isn't loose. I had a similar issue with mine and that was the cause. The large round head screw at the rear end of the rail was the one that kept walking on mine, I locktited it and it hasn't walked since.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 07:09:19 PM »

I shot it some more today. This time at 100 yards. It was VERY windy so I'll need to reshoot. But I sighted it in with the can on the end. Very strange, It should have been on the paper after shooting it at 41 yards the other day, but it was way off. I finally got it sighted in and shot a few groups. They were disappointing, but maybe it was the wind. Then I removed the can and shot some groups. At 100 yards I was off the paper, so I set up a target at 41 yards. The group was low by more than 6". Due to the less than desirable groups and the change in POI I was thinking baffle strikes. So I looked in the can and the baffles are still virginal. Plus my can is noted for the lack of impact shift with and without it. So I have no idea what's going on.

Yup, I'll definitely reshoot.

The ammo I was shooting was Radford Green NATO ammo, but I think it has 55g bullets. I have some reloads with 70g bullets. I'll also try to find some M855. Maybe the 1:7 twist of the RDB will prefer heavier bullets; it should. But at this time  I'm most concerned about POI shift with and without the can.

yeah...i'd expect better performance.  very windy is never ideal even if you feel you're still and stable.  i'd be really concerned if this happened indoors.

you may of mentioned...but direct thread or quick attach suppressor?  even then poi at 100 yds versus unsuppressed 2-3" tops.  now if i read you correctly you said poi at 41 yds was 6" on versus off?  correct me on this though.  how many cups of coffee did you have before you went out?...lol.  kidding aside, besides the poi issue, obviously you'd expect slightly tighter groups suppressed.

i think above all Brian...sobriety is key before hitting the gun range!    Grin
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 07:13:08 PM by HBeretta » Logged
Grifter

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 07:10:56 PM »

Not that it matters much in this regard,

My worst groups were with 62Gr PMC nearly 4moa. Then 55gr M855, 2-2.5moa.

Best groups (sub-moa 4 shots, 5th round flier put it at 1.5moa) was with 40gr Hornady Varmint Express.

The internet tells me this is simply not possible, lighter should shoot the worst.

I still need to handload up 77gr and 40gr and compare.

HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 07:17:17 PM »

Best groups (sub-moa 4 shots, 5th round flier put it at 1.5moa) was with 40gr Hornady Varmint Express.

funny MarkCO on ktog feels the gun isn't capable of sub moa...i was getting super tight groups on thursday with 69gr fed gold med match and mentioned as much.  hell i've posted a pic of a 4 shot sub moa with 55gr american eagle.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 07:19:11 PM by HBeretta » Logged
BrianK

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 11:13:55 PM »

I'll check the rail when I get a chance. The safe is closed at this time.

No coffee. I don't touch the stuff. I shoot handgun competitively and I found out decades ago that it was good for an automatic 30 point drop. Not a drop of adult beverage until long after the guns are put away. :-)

Maybe I got the nomenclature wrong. I meant the "newer", to me anyway, heavy 5.56 with penetrator, SS109? Anyway, not the 55 gr bullets. If I need to I'll load some but hopefully I can find some at the LGS. I expect to be there in a day or 2.

The can is a Surefire with quick attach (fa556k? from memory). It's never shifted POI more than 1/2". That's why I suspected baffle strikes, but I checked it with a Gissele (sp?) 5.56 alignment gauge before shooting it.

No doubt I'll figure it out. I appreciate the suggestions.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 11:34:24 PM »

I'll check the rail when I get a chance. The safe is closed at this time.

No coffee. I don't touch the stuff. I shoot handgun competitively and I found out decades ago that it was good for an automatic 30 point drop. Not a drop of adult beverage until long after the guns are put away. :-)

Maybe I got the nomenclature wrong. I meant the "newer", to me anyway, heavy 5.56 with penetrator, SS109? Anyway, not the 55 gr bullets. If I need to I'll load some but hopefully I can find some at the LGS. I expect to be there in a day or 2.

The can is a Surefire with quick attach (fa556k? from memory). It's never shifted POI more than 1/2". That's why I suspected baffle strikes, but I checked it with a Gissele (sp?) 5.56 alignment gauge before shooting it.

No doubt I'll figure it out. I appreciate the suggestions.

let us know what you find when you do.  always disappointing to read polar opposite results from someone with the same platform.
BrianK

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2017, 06:55:13 PM »

Today I had time to check the rail. All of the screws were tight EXCEPT for the screw on the "recoil lug", the screw closest to the chamber. If it continues to be a problem I'll use stud loktite on it, but I suspect it was a problem in assembly. I haven't fired it yet to check accuracy. Our weather has been typical Maine spring weather, that is, rainy season, and I just haven't had the chance.

I've been lucky just to get the chance to get my comp' guns and loads checked out and up and running for outdoor shooting season.

In a month (typically) I'll have all sorts of clear shooting weather through November+.
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2018, 01:09:04 AM »

Check and make sure that your top rail isn't loose. I had a similar issue with mine and that was the cause. The large round head screw at the rear end of the rail was the one that kept walking on mine, I locktited it and it hasn't walked since.

I just took my RDB apart to install the Raptor rail, and noticed my rail definitely has a little bit of wiggle. Can anyone post a photo of the responsible screw? I have heard different fixes for this problem such as screwing it all the way down, then backing it off 1/8th of an inch and using locktite. But mine has a washer underneath the screw. Do I still need to back it off 1/8th of an inch if the washer is already creating a space under it? I would imagine that Keltec would have used a washer of the appropriate thickness so that no backing off would be necessary.
dntam

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2018, 04:15:32 PM »

Itís an odd design. I think the last screw is supposed to be under tension but not torqued down. Supposed to allow for some expansion when the barrel gets hot and decrease stringing of shots.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length