Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2017, 08:54:22 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  My grip fin for the silly CA laws
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: My grip fin for the silly CA laws  (Read 4471 times)
mshill

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2017, 06:48:25 PM »

Looks awesome.  Goodbye grip wrap...
I was planning on registering as an AW in CA cause I hated the grip wrap.  Ordered a safety thumb rest too.  This will really help to control the "featureless" firearm one handed. 
The icing on the cake is that it was created behind enemy lines and yet Shapeways is out of state so no sales tax for CA. Suck it DeLeon.
Jdub765

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2017, 03:56:14 AM »

Hey all, hold off on ordering the fins for now.  There seems to be enough worry about compliance with the silly law so I've added a brace to go against the side of the gun to prevent the shark fin from flexing.  I'll probably put up both versions so you can choose from each, but if you wait you'll have a choice of which one you want.

For those who've already ordered a fin, I made an adapter part if you'd like to add it on.  You'll have to drill a hole in the fin and provide your own nut & bolt.  I'll provide these at cost since it was an afterthought.

I've just ordered the new parts, so they should be here in just over a week.  I'll let you know how it goes.
mshill

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2017, 04:51:34 PM »

Hey all, hold off on ordering the fins for now.  There seems to be enough worry about compliance with the silly law so I've added a brace to go against the side of the gun to prevent the shark fin from flexing.  I'll probably put up both versions so you can choose from each, but if you wait you'll have a choice of which one you want.

For those who've already ordered a fin, I made an adapter part if you'd like to add it on.  You'll have to drill a hole in the fin and provide your own nut & bolt.  I'll provide these at cost since it was an afterthought.

I've just ordered the new parts, so they should be here in just over a week.  I'll let you know how it goes.

While I ordered already (supposed to arrive tomorrow)  I am less worried about the fin flexing than I am about the stupid 30"OAL with welded/pinned muzzle device that showed up in the (leaked) proposed DOJ regulations.  Ain't no way I am pinning/welding that 4" abortion on my barrel. F-em all.
bplvr

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2017, 02:57:37 PM »

Please check yur message box Jason.
Jdub765

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2017, 08:47:47 PM »

Got it! Messaged you back  Grin
mshill

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2017, 07:18:44 PM »

Got the Tavor SAR with the grip fin and thumb rest safety selector out to the range today. 
After verifying my scope zero I shot some freehand to get a feel for the fin grip and the thumb rest.

I like your fin grip better than the wrap I had on it.  The wrap added that extra little bit to the dimensions of the grip that just made it uncomfortable for me.  Your fin grip also makes accessing the mag release much easier than my previous wrap did.  All in all it looks great and it does not have a negative effect on the ergonomics like the wrap does.

But the highlight of the day was the thumb rest safety selector.  What a difference it makes for the control of the weapon, and on top of that it is almost natural for engaging and disengaging the safety when needed.
RabbitSlayer

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2017, 08:43:16 PM »

Wow that's gay, f*ck California, it's run by communists.  I refuse to even visit communist libtard states.
silentrunning

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2017, 09:46:34 PM »

AWFUL.........Move Out Of Cali
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2017, 11:04:53 PM »

Great to see firearms enthusiasts persevering in that hostile environment!

When I left SoCal the last time my choices were relocate to Vegas (with no job lined up) or East Bay SF (with a fat $$$ job offer). Didn't even have to think, the truck just veered East and I didn't stop till Vegas.

Don't regret leaving but I also don't regret my time there. My most active shooting/competition/training years were all in California. It's just too damn hot out in the desert half the year.

Still have a tonne of friends out there and some of them are in the firearms industry (don't know how they do it with all the rules and regs) and for them I hope people don't give up on them or their rights. Every fight is a fight worth fighting, our community must stick together cause the opposition gets stronger with every victory no matter what state it is in.

AE
mshill

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2017, 06:47:52 PM »

Great to see firearms enthusiasts persevering in that hostile environment!

Still have a tonne of friends out there and some of them are in the firearms industry (don't know how they do it with all the rules and regs) and for them I hope people don't give up on them or their rights. Every fight is a fight worth fighting, our community must stick together cause the opposition gets stronger with every victory no matter what state it is in.

AE

It is getting really tough here, not just with respect to firearms but with just about anything conservative.  I have a ten year plan and only hope that the I can endure that long without losing all my marbles.  If I wasn't at the tail end of my career I would seriously consider relocating now.
Jdub765

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2017, 05:20:00 AM »

So I was able to print out and test the new changes!  There's a brace add-on that requires you to drill out the hole to the size you need for your screw+bolt.  There's also a new fin with the brace molded in.  I've left both versions available in case you don't like the looks of the new one.  The brace has been listed at the cost that Shapeways charges to print.  I apologize for the inconvenience of having to print another part out.

I also figured out what was wrong with the left handed thumb safeties and I need to enlarge the cutout for the wedge.  I didn't give it enough room since the left and right side metal wedges are different.  I'm not going to list it until I've fixed it.  If you already ordered a left-side thumb safety, please PM me with your address and I will order a bunch to replace the ones you have.  Again, I apologize for the oversight Sad

Edit: Shapeways has a 5% off coupon code GREETINGS5

* brace01.jpg (279.98 KB, 1600x900 - viewed 36 times.)

* brace02.jpg (236.9 KB, 1600x900 - viewed 37 times.)

* gripbrace03.jpg (269.09 KB, 1600x900 - viewed 44 times.)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 05:41:06 AM by Jdub765 » Logged
Jdub765

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2017, 08:35:03 PM »

I forgot to mention this in the last post, but I was hoping to get some feedback on the thumbrests from those of you using them.  The left one that I ordered was much much tighter than the right one.  I had to scrape a bit of plastic with a tiny screwdriver to get it on there.  I'm trying to figure out if it's a variance in printing, difference in mounting wedges on the gun (they should be the same since the OEM safeties are interchangeable), or if it's a quirk of my own Tavor.

The right side was a bit tight with the original opening, but since we're using it to manipulate the gun, I didn't mind.  I ended up having to print about 16 different sizes for the regular safeties I designed since the original was too tight for regular safeties.  If the left side one ends up being too tight for several of you, then I'll make it a little bigger.
bplvr

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2017, 12:10:50 PM »

Can u give us a link to the brace or are you just going to
get some made up and we can get them from you.
omgbarndor
New Posting Member

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2017, 11:50:54 PM »

His items are listed here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/random-thoughts?li=pb

Quick updates on all this, thanks! Looking forward to testing out the brace for the left hand version.
bplvr

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2017, 12:37:38 AM »

I have been trying for 2 hours to buy a left brace.They don't recognize the e-mail addy I used before ,even though they sent me updates to that addy when I ordered the fin.  Please reply to me in a PM and I will send u $10.00 for a lefty brace. I am done with shapeways.
Jdub765

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2017, 07:37:55 PM »

Hi guys, I just got the shipment in so I'm going to send the parts out today.

There is one remaining person who bought a left-handed thumbrest that hasn't contacted me.  If that's you, please PM me with your the date you ordered it and I'll send you the corrected thumbrest  Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length