Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2017, 04:40:00 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  IWI US now selling thin buttpad and short handguard
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: IWI US now selling thin buttpad and short handguard  (Read 9214 times)
MountainBiker

« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2017, 11:14:21 AM »

^^^^

I'm going to copy this look RedScorpius.  Have both the short foregrip and butt pad for my FDE X95.  Want the Fab Defense vertical ergo grip, however I'm hesitant as the color looks quite a bit lighter.  Almost like a beige.  May give it a shot anyways. I'll post up in a couple weeks.
Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2017, 03:49:39 PM »

WHAT'S the Point in this config? More comfortable?  I mean besides the SBR IS THIS PAD MORE ERGONOMIC
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 05:10:04 PM by Rick53 » Logged
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2017, 06:51:31 PM »

More slick and more comfortable for me, I did not care for the fat rubber pad that came originally, and I didn't cared for that huge pointy corner on the Manticore ones.
Jfoster99

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2017, 05:48:03 PM »

Went with the industrial look until i have time to cut off the break and install a longer one..  At $15 each i don't mind doing a temp solution.. i kind of like the look.. maybe ill keep it.. it is not bad to shoulder... the ring creates a little ramp so nothing pointy pokes u.

cghelton

« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2017, 06:31:28 PM »

The thin butt plate made a huge difference in the look and feel of my X95 SBR.

That's badass!!👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cghelton

« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2017, 06:43:29 PM »

Will I be fine as far as length wise if I just add the thin butt plate? Not SBR'ing mine for now.

Jfoster99

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2017, 08:30:29 PM »

Will I be fine as far as length wise if I just add the thin butt plate? Not SBR'ing mine for now.

You would have to permanently attach  ( pin/weld ) the muzzle break otherwise it will be too short.

Just use a tape measure to check the overall length. It needs to be 26". ( a little over just to be safe )
bhunted

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2017, 09:27:29 PM »

Went with the industrial look until i have time to cut off the break and install a longer one..  At $15 each i don't mind doing a temp solution.. i kind of like the look.. maybe ill keep it.. it is not bad to shoulder... the ring creates a little ramp so nothing pointy pokes u.

I'm confused. What's the ring for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Jfoster99

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2017, 09:40:44 PM »

It is not for anything... I needed to add 1/4" to the length.  I thought it looked "cool". Has and industrial look.   

I was just commenting that the ring does kind of help keep the nub part from poking my shoulder.

Eventually I will likely put a longer muzzle device on and then won't need to add a 1/4" to the buttpad to meet the 26" min length or maybe just keep the ring... it is growing on me.
bhunted

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2017, 09:48:15 PM »

I'm not sure that ring would qualify to keep your length legal. Be careful with that.

RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2017, 12:43:36 AM »

I'm not sure that ring would qualify to keep your length legal. Be careful with that.

Not worth the risk to f*** with NFA laws, but then again, I'm tired of telling people what to do either as long as they don't bother me.
Jfoster99

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2017, 08:15:04 AM »

Can you explain why?  I'm not looking to be a test case.  This was likely just temporary... I have a second flat  Buttpad that  I was going to try and form a curved wedge shape hard rubber top... possible cut  the top piece of my manticore arms pad and jb weld it to the flat pad? Would that be less risky?

It the issue something specific about the ring or just the fact that I modified it... meaning there is no way to extend the thin pad without running a risk?

I could alway replace the break with a longer one as well.
Jfoster99

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2017, 08:23:46 AM »

Not worth the risk to f*** with NFA laws, but then again, I'm tired of telling people what to do either as long as they don't bother me.

I'm interested in your opinion as well. See my post above to bhunt.

I did not think this was a subjective issue..

In my head I  pictured the ATF has a box exactly 26" long and the rifle either fits into the box or it does not.  I did ponder that if you used a foam padding to extend the length and it was too easily compressed to fit in the box that there may be an issue. So I was going to be sure to use a hard rubber.

RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »

I'm interested in your opinion as well. See my post above to bhunt.

I did not think this was a subjective issue..

In my head I  pictured the ATF has a box exactly 26" long and the rifle either fits into the box or it does not.  I did ponder that if you used a foam padding to extend the length and it was too easily compressed to fit in the box that there may be an issue. So I was going to be sure to use a hard rubber.

ATF have specifications as to how strong a part has to be to qualify as extending the length of a rifle. I'm not going to post an entire 10 page article on here, I do know pinned and welded muzzle device has to be strong enough to support the weight of an ATF agent hanging on it with a wrench or something ridiculous like that.
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2017, 10:52:43 AM »

No, you need to permanently attach the muzzle brake, it's called "pin and weld", please google the details, I don't want to make a page long post, any other way to attach a muzzle brake are not approved by ATF. As it currently stands on your rifle it will be exactly 26", so I recommend using a longer muzzle device to make it longer to be safe. Griffin Armament's M4SD muzzle has the hole predeilled and ready for pin and weld by a gun smith, it works and looks good on a rifle too.
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2017, 10:53:54 AM »

Foster--if the ATF requires people to *weld* on their flash hiders for legality, I can promise you that gluing things on the end of your buttpad to extend the OAL would not fly with them. This is not something you want to mess around with as there are many anti-gun communists who work for the ATF who will only be too happy to find an excuse to make your life miserable. It's happened before and it will continue to happen. Be aware these agents may be reading this and other forums.

Come on, having a ring and nub on your buttpad doesn't make much sense. It diminishes the functionality of the buttpad because it prevents you from being able to properly shoulder the rifle. Guns are not things to skimp around with. You need to do things properly and either go back to using the OEM thick buttpad, or pin and weld on a longer muzzle device and then get yourself another thin buttpad from IWI.

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
cghelton

« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2017, 01:06:20 PM »

No, you need to permanently attach the muzzle brake, it's called "pin and weld", please google the details, I don't want to make a page long post, any other way to attach a muzzle brake are not approved by ATF. As it currently stands on your rifle it will be exactly 26", so I recommend using a longer muzzle device to make it longer to be safe. Griffin Armament's M4SD muzzle has the hole predeilled and ready for pin and weld by a gun smith, it works and looks good on a rifle too.
This one?
https://www.griffinarmament.com/M4SD-5-56-Flash-Comp-1-2x28-p/xhp556fc.htm

Thank you Sir.

RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2017, 01:15:14 PM »

^^^ that's the one. Using the locknut on the X95 barrel this should get your X95 to almost 27", totally safe. Be sure to get a professional gun smith to do it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:17:05 PM by RadScorpius » Logged
cghelton

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »

Definitely, I'm not messing with it. Thanks a lot!

Jfoster99

« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2017, 03:31:18 AM »

Bellatorinvictus/ Radscorpius/ Bhunted,

Thanks for your opinion. I agree with it and intend to follow it and replace the current 2 1/2" Pinned on break with one that is 3".

However, I googled the crap out of this and scoured the ATF website.
The only ATF documentation on a rifles Over All Length is that it is measured between the muzzle and the rearmost portion of the weapon along a line parallel with the axis of the bore.

I could not find anything regarding material to be used, strength, permanence, etc. 

If the measuring description was worded as between the muzzle and the rearmost portion of the stock a case could be made that the ring nub is not part of the stock  but is just say rearmost portion of the weapon...

Again, I am installing a longer break, I don't want to be a test case but just interested in analyzing the specific of the laws as written.

If I missed anything of relevance published by the ATF I would like to know just for my own education.

Lastly,I have been going back and forth but think I will leave the ring  on even after the extended break is installed. I found a good use for my ring and I like the aesthetics.  Also it is attached rock solid with the JB Weld.  That stuff is amazing. I put my full weight pulling down on it and felt like the flat Buttpad was going to break loose from the rifle before the ring broke loose. Who knows maybe they will catch on and IWI will make them Standard OEM option. (Does anyone know a patent attorney)

Below is a link to the ATF document I referenced.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-2/download

Section 2.1.2
The overall length of a firearm is the distance between the muzzle of the barrel and the rearmost portion of the weapon measured on a line parallel to the axis of the bore

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length