Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2014, 03:16:31 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News: 2014 NRA Annual Meetings and Exhibits                                              25 - 27 April, 2014                               Indiana Convention Center  -  Indianapolis, IN                              600 exihibitors, covering over 400,000 sq ft                                Seminars, dinners, and the Annual Meeting of Members                              BulllpupForum.com will be in attendance.  See you there!!                

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . . . .
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  AUG A3 vs Tavor
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Which one for my first bullpup?
Steyr AUG A3   -7 (63.6%)
IWI Tavor   -4 (36.4%)
Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: AUG A3 vs Tavor  (Read 5890 times)
Armed Mage

« on: October 12, 2012, 08:56:25 PM »

Wasn't sure whether to post this in the AUG or Tavor section, so I'll just put it here.

I'm really wanting a bullpup and am torn between the AUG A3 (probably the Nato but open to the standard too) and the Tavor that's coming out in the US. I've always loved the AUG and have wanted one for a long time but the Tavor looks really cool too and might be a little better value for the features it has, though I'm not sure I'm patient enough to wait till next May or possibly longer for it.

So those of you who have experience with both which one do you prefer? I'm especially curious about the trigger, as some have said the Tavor trigger is very good for a bullpup and others say it's worse than the AUG. I know they have a NEU trigger upgrade for the AUG that's supposed to make it better, but I'm not sure about the Tavor.

"Freedom is a two-edged sword of which one edge is liberty and the other responsibility, on which both edges are exceedingly sharp; and which is not easily handled by casual, cowardly, or treacherous hands." -John Whiteside Parsons
Snapperhead363
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 09:35:26 PM »

If it were me and I wasn't in a hurry I'd go with the Tavor and get a low serial #. Then get a AUG A3!  2 cents

NRA Life Member   Bullpup Fanatic Glock Armorer  Owner of Homeland Guns.1-740-820-GUNS
Sgt_P
Administrator
Bullpup Fanatic

SEMPER FIDELIS

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 09:54:38 PM »

Tough one...

The Steyr AUG is immediately available, and a great mix of a classic and futuristic firearm.

The Tavor is well laid out, and will be exciting as the newest entry in the US market.

Both have triggers that are good for a combat style weapon (6-8 lbs).  Are they "match" triggers?  No.  But for the average rifle owner, the triggers are good.  I've pulled the triggers on both, and have no complaints.

If you go with the AUG, and don't need to use STANAG mags, you'll be incredibly impressed with the AUG mags.  They may be the best in the world!

"Retreat, hell we just got here!" 
Capt L Williams, USMC, WWI (Belleau Wood)
Snapperhead363
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 10:04:57 PM »

This wasn't easy for me.The AUG got me into Bullpups a long time ago. But,You know how it is when a hot woman moves in next door. Yea.....You want that too!

NRA Life Member   Bullpup Fanatic Glock Armorer  Owner of Homeland Guns.1-740-820-GUNS
Hayuya

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »

if you can afford it, get the AUG now and the Tavor when it comes out in 6 months.  At least, that's my current plan.
Armed Mage

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 08:56:53 PM »

Handled an AUG at the gun show today. It was pretty heavy for a weapon its size, but also very solid and well built. The trigger felt odd but I'm sure it's just something you get used to.

I'll wait for more details on this Tavor group buy, and if I'm still undecided I'll just flip a coin or something.

"Freedom is a two-edged sword of which one edge is liberty and the other responsibility, on which both edges are exceedingly sharp; and which is not easily handled by casual, cowardly, or treacherous hands." -John Whiteside Parsons
Airacuda

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 09:31:39 PM »

I'm no rocket scientist....but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. I have to say that the Tavor mag release is in the wrong location. As I have seen on one video,it is very easy to drop the mag unintentionally. It sticks out too far and will snag on everything Murphy will throw at it,including your wrist if you lose your grip.
 Being a Rigger in a past life. I can tell you if you want something to get caught or snagged...just tie a Tagline(piece of rope) to it. I can see right off the bat that the release is a Tagline and should have been fixed waay before now. It doesn't really matter to me,as I already have the best assault rifle in the world and see no reason to abandon my AUG's.
 I like the Tavor. The Israeli's make it. I'm happy to see them use their own design over our poor AR.
  You won't go wrong with either one....but cut that mag release in half when you get it.
dawg180

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 02:38:10 AM »

I am one of the few who have handled and shot both and would say it is an even wash- I find the AUG ergonomics a touch better for me, save for the charging handle on the Tavor.  Obviously I am not a fan of the stock AUG charging handle, but that is easily solved these days.  Wink

Otherwise I would say both are a solid design and either would serve you well.
Armed Mage

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 08:39:01 PM »

I am one of the few who have handled and shot both and would say it is an even wash- I find the AUG ergonomics a touch better for me, save for the charging handle on the Tavor.  Obviously I am not a fan of the stock AUG charging handle, but that is easily solved these days.  Wink

Otherwise I would say both are a solid design and either would serve you well.

Did you notice any difference in recoil or trigger pull between the two?

copenhagen

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 12:42:03 PM »

I own both.  I wouldn't want to get rid of either.  If you collect actual military firearms(as closely as possible), IMHO, they are both essential members of a well rounded collection.
f33gar0w

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 09:47:33 AM »

I also own both. Trigger seems alittle better on the Tavor. Recoil is about the same. I actually like shooting the Tavor better but I love both rifles. When it comes to cleaning ,the AUG is much easier to clean then the Tavor.
Armed Mage

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 10:11:10 PM »

I also own both. Trigger seems alittle better on the Tavor. Recoil is about the same. I actually like shooting the Tavor better but I love both rifles. When it comes to cleaning ,the AUG is much easier to clean then the Tavor.

Thanks. I was on the Tavor group buy list but then Newtown happened and I used the money to buy an AUG instead because of the political climate, and I was on the fence between the two anyway. I'm really interested in hearing more opinions on this now that the Tavor is actually out and people have shot it.

Since it's now confirmed that the Tavor will work with Gen 2 Pmags that's a big plus for the Tavor since I can use it with  However if Ratworx comes out with a hybrid trigger pack that works with the AUG NATO stock (they told me they were working on it when I emailed them last year) then I'm definitely sticking with the AUG.

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length