Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 25, 2017, 04:28:57 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:        2017 SHOT Show       -       16 through 20, January, 2017       -       Sands Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR
| | |-+  I finally threw in the towel...!!!
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I finally threw in the towel...!!!  (Read 1609 times)
Tactical_T

« on: February 16, 2017, 11:00:37 PM »

Since first learning of the MDR .308, I've been waiting patiently for it. In the last 2 months I learned more about the SCAR 17 and have been going back n forth between the two rifles. I finally decided that the Scar 17 with a Grip Pod is what better suited to what I want, so I pulled the trigger on one for $2900.  So I guess I sold out.

However, I'm still liking the ideal of a .300 Blackout MDR with a suppressor. Especially with the extended handguard they plan to offer.
Dragoon

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 11:09:47 PM »

...an den.....
tattooo

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:41:14 PM »

Good choice, congrats
BC13
^

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 07:31:22 PM »

Do not see what spot you were in on the group buy. If you were ahead of me I thank you! If not carry on.. .

~ Future MDR owner ~
Steelviper
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 04:08:24 PM »

If I wasn't so mentally invested in the MDR, I mean why wait 3 years for something just to give up as the finish line approaches, The SCAR or the new POF revolution would be what I would be looking into. IF, again big if, the MDR fails to deliver I will start looking heavy at them again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X-fEFlmnGBI POF Revolution
Spartan
^

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 04:53:13 PM »

truly a great weapon,  a tack hammer!
Ditcher
^

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 09:49:36 PM »

If I wasn't so mentally invested in the MDR, I mean why wait 3 years for something just to give up as the finish line approaches, The SCAR or the new POF revolution would be what I would be looking into. IF, again big if, the MDR fails to deliver I will start looking heavy at them again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X-fEFlmnGBI POF Revolution

Or you could wait for the Mega Arms SF Maten that was suppose to have been released the spring of last yeat at 2500 which has turned into the summer of this year at 3200.  Just saying.
INV136

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 02:22:03 PM »

I pre-ordered one of the original FN SCAR 17 rifles and had to wait two years to get it. It's a nice .308 rifle. I also got one of the Stryker SEAL aluminum lower receivers that accepts MagPul 25 rd magazines. It's a nice combination. But, it's no bullpup .308 rifle. That's what I really want and tried to get in the KelTec RFB (had problems and I didn't like the design and sold it). If Steyr made an Aug in .308 I'd get one and call it a day. They don't. The MDR looks to have the potential to be the best bullpup .308 for me. I like the SCAR 17, but, if I could only have one, I'd give up the SCAR for the MDR. But, I don't have to.
cuz

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 08:48:57 AM »

I like the SCAR 17, but, if I could only have one, I'd give up the SCAR for the MDR. But, I don't have to.

Wow, you would trade the Scar for an unknown/unproven Rifle?  That's a bold statement considering we don't yet know how the MDR is going to perform over the long haul. I love my Scar 17s and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INV136

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 12:15:20 PM »

The MDR may be unproven, but, it's design has all of the features that I want in a bullpup .308 rifle. And as I stated, the SCAR is not a bullpup rifle. My MDR is paid for and I don't have to give up the SCAR. So, what's the issue with that? The MDR is brand new and if their is a major defect (which I seriously doubt they'd release such a firearm with a major defect) then I'd just get a refund and give up the quest for a .308 bullpup rifle. I've purchased other so-called "unproven" rifles like the KelTec RFB and ended up selling them because I didn't like their design after I received them. I'm not new to this rodeo.
photog22740
^

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 04:40:19 PM »

I pre-ordered one of the original FN SCAR 17 rifles and had to wait two years to get it. It's a nice .308 rifle. I also got one of the Stryker SEAL aluminum lower receivers that accepts MagPul 25 rd magazines. It's a nice combination. But, it's no bullpup .308 rifle. That's what I really want and tried to get in the KelTec RFB (had problems and I didn't like the design and sold it). If Steyr made an Aug in .308 I'd get one and call it a day. They don't. The MDR looks to have the potential to be the best bullpup .308 for me. I like the SCAR 17, but, if I could only have one, I'd give up the SCAR for the MDR. But, I don't have to.

A Steyr AUG in 308 would be nice.  I'd love to see it in 300 Blackout, but, although apparently they looked into it, scratched the idea.
mityno1
^

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 12:52:03 PM »

I like the SCAR 17, but, if I could only have one, I'd give up the SCAR for the MDR. But, I don't have to.

Wow, you would trade the Scar for an unknown/unproven Rifle?  That's a bold statement considering we don't yet know how the MDR is going to perform over the long haul. I love my Scar 17s and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aye!  It would take many years of proven reliability for my soon coming MDR to replace my Scar 17 if I can have only one rifle. 

Now that the MDR will be a little heavier than my Scar 17, that is one less advantage for the MDR, but not a deal breaker for me.

I like to say, the Scar 17 is most like a really expensive Glock with a longer barrel that shoots .308, what is not to love? For the money, nothing beats the Scar 17 in terms of versatility and utility at this point and time.  It can perform more shooting tasks adequately than any other rifle.

If the MDR can match the Scar 17 in performance, it will be the King of all Bullpups!

I think it will, and the production delays actually support my optimism.

So if you bought a Scar 17 first, that is an excellent choice. You just have to save a little longer to get your MDR.  Just as those buying the MDR first will have to save a little longer to buy a Scar 17. 

CAP1400

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 07:04:54 PM »

Aye!  It would take many years of proven reliability for my soon coming MDR to replace my Scar 17 if I can have only one rifle. 

Now that the MDR will be a little heavier than my Scar 17, that is one less advantage for the MDR, but not a deal breaker for me.

I like to say, the Scar 17 is most like a really expensive Glock with a longer barrel that shoots .308, what is not to love? For the money, nothing beats the Scar 17 in terms of versatility and utility at this point and time.  It can perform more shooting tasks adequately than any other rifle.

If the MDR can match the Scar 17 in performance, it will be the King of all Bullpups!

I think it will, and the production delays actually support my optimism.

So if you bought a Scar 17 first, that is an excellent choice. You just have to save a little longer to get your MDR.  Just as those buying the MDR first will have to save a little longer to buy a Scar 17. 

Since the MDR is a bullpup it'll probably feel lighter than the SCAR.

I hope the MDR will rival the SCAR. If it can be that quality, without the $3000 price, it'll probably change many people's opinion on bullpups.
Tactical_T

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 10:29:20 PM »

Even though I went with a Scar 17S in FDE, and backed out of the MRD.308 idea (at least for now), I may still pick one up 1-2 years down the road, especially if they decide to offer an 18" or 20" barrel model, and/or a OD or Foliage Green model. I doubt they will ever offer one in Green. Ever since Iraq/Afghanistan, the desire for Green seems to have lost 75% of its fan club.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone put any thought into how they will mount a bipod to the new MDR .308 and what style of bipod?
« Last Edit: Today at 11:03:44 AM by Tactical_T » Logged
Sawdustshot
New Posting Member

« Reply #14 on: Today at 12:16:07 AM »

Just out of curiosity, has anyone put any thought into how they will mount a bipod to the new MDR .308 and what style of bipod?
There's only 5 or 6 inches of usable space under the handguard. I don't think a bipod exists that will fit and clear the grip and a standard magazine without extending past the flash hider. It's part of the reason I've been waiting for the echo or whatever it will be called now.
Ascinder
^

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:53:27 AM »

The optional suppressor handguard is a bit longer. It may fit. It also lacks the handstop/hook at the front, so if you bought a stout aluminum M-lok rail, you may be able to extend it forward enough to clear. In this picture(granted a bit older), it looks plenty long enough for a bipod:

« Last Edit: Today at 01:04:42 AM by Ascinder » Logged
Sdevante
^

« Reply #16 on: Today at 10:39:22 AM »

From the Nick Young Video re: bipod

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length