Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 25, 2017, 04:28:55 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:        2017 SHOT Show       -       16 through 20, January, 2017       -       Sands Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR
| | |-+  Is the DT MDR the auto-loading version of the DT Covert Stealth Recon Scout?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Is the DT MDR the auto-loading version of the DT Covert Stealth Recon Scout?  (Read 1383 times)
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: February 16, 2017, 06:56:06 PM »

(https://www.facebook.com/deserttacticalarms/posts/1088037027893705)

Then, there's the matter of rapid-fire operation of a bolt-action Bullpup rifle ---

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAolFvexg30) (See 6:12 - 6:30)

Price:
The Desert Tech Covert Stealth Recon Scout retails for $4,995.00 (http://www.carolinasfirstdefense.com/Desert-Tech-SRS-A1-Stealth-Recon-Scout-Rifle_p_142.html);

The Desert Tech Micro Dynamic Rifle (MDR) .308/7.62x51mm NATO carbine retails for $2,525.00 (https://www.facebook.com/deserttacticalarms/posts/1373087089388696).

And, then, there's the upcoming Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR) version ---

(https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/01/19/shot-2016-desert-tech-mdr-newsupdate/).

Lastly, "The MDR is awesome, I love shooting it. Can't wait to take one home." (http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=11296.msg115553#msg115553).

Sdevante
^

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 11:23:10 PM »

I sincerely hope so. I can’t seem to ever scrape together the ~$10,000 I would need to set up an SRS Covert the way I would want to and am too impatient to buy a piece at a time. However if the MDR can come even close to the performance of the Covert I will be extremely pleased.
richiemfmead
^

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 01:29:28 AM »

Because it's possible in today's day and age, to build a sub moa semi auto, I've yet to understand why the bolt action rifle is even a thing at all anymore, except in those states where it's illegal to hunt with a semi auto with low cap mags. Im lucky in regards to whre I live, where suppressed sbr hunting is not only legal, but encouraged.
Siris

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 05:02:08 AM »

Because it's possible in today's day and age, to build a sub moa semi auto, I've yet to understand why the bolt action rifle is even a thing at all anymore, except in those states where it's illegal to hunt with a semi auto with low cap mags. Im lucky in regards to whre I live, where suppressed sbr hunting is not only legal, but encouraged.

extreme range and accuracy. Now granted the simiautos can be very accurate they still haven't yet quite caught up to bolt actions at their upper limits. That and a bolt action can be by its nature stronger than a simiauto action. Just a byproduct of KISS

What ever happened to Democrat meaning drunken partying and pistol duels on the white house lawn, beating your would be assassin so senseless your security has to protect them from you, and one of your only two regrets is that you didn't kill your own vice president and running mate.
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 08:26:09 AM »

extreme range and accuracy. Now granted the simiautos can be very accurate they still haven't yet quite caught up to bolt actions at their upper limits. That and a bolt action can be by its nature stronger than a simiauto action. Just a byproduct of KISS

This. Semiautos are no where near bolt action rifles in terms of range and accuracy. Particularly when you start getting in to long action. If I'm going to shoot past 800 yards, I want to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of that rifle. I also don't care any more about getting a second shot off quickly.
Sdevante
^

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »

I’m sure there are a gazillion variables to this, but as a general matter:

Assume the MDR gas block has an off setting - would that increase the potential accuracy of the gun compared to it operating in semi-auto fashion?
coldboremiracle

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 11:50:10 AM »

No, it is not.

The first shot, is worth all the rest.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT

I work for Desert Tech, happy to help wherever I can.
EWTHeckman

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 12:07:11 PM »

(coldboremiracle, I'm confused by your response. (Not sure what it refers to, therefore what it means.) Could you clarify?)

I recently saw an explanation of one of the differences between bolt-action and semi-auto. Unfortunately I forget where I saw it or who it was. But he did bring up a point that seems to have some validity. What he pointed out was that bolt actions have a very simple recoil impulse, while semi-autos have a longer, more complex recoil impulse. Since the rifle must remain steady until the bullet exits the barrel (and I assume, passes beyond the influence of high-pressure gases exiting the barrel), the more complex recoil of a semi-auto is harder to shoot as accurately as a bolt action.

Since so much depends on timing—when the rifle starts to move, when the bullet is clear of influence, how consistent the recoil is during the critical time—I'm not sure exactly how accurate this is. I know there are dedicated semi-auto sniper rifles, so it is mechanically possible, though more difficult to create than bolt actions. The affects of such variances would seem to depend entirely on the timing of each implementation and ammo used.

Any thoughts on this?
coldboremiracle

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 12:26:16 PM »

Didn't mean to confuse, but its very simple.

"Is the DT MDR the auto-loading version of the DT Covert Stealth Recon Scout?"

No, it is not.

Just like the Remington R-15 is not a semi auto version of the R700.
I find these threads confusing myself. Wild speculation based off of selective information and opinions from different versions and generations of guns.

The first shot, is worth all the rest.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT

I work for Desert Tech, happy to help wherever I can.
EWTHeckman

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 02:19:28 PM »

Didn't mean to confuse, but its very simple.

"Is the DT MDR the auto-loading version of the DT Covert Stealth Recon Scout?"

No, it is not.

Now I see what you were saying. Thanks for clearing that up.
Ascinder
^

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 12:47:36 AM »

I find these threads confusing myself. Wild speculation based off of selective information and opinions from different versions and generations of guns.

I think people get bored waiting for MDR news/information/updates. I know I do. Threads like these remind me of clickbait headlines, but we have to find something to do while we twiddle our thumbs. Grin
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 02:23:35 AM »

Because it's possible in today's day and age, to build a sub moa semi auto, . . .

Indeed. Case-in-point ---

Steelviper
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 02:54:11 PM »

Nice rifle Total JP or custom build?
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 04:27:50 PM »

(http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1250867__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Interdasting__Alexander_Arms_relinquishes_6_5_Grendel_trademark.html&page=3#i30888773)
Ditcher
^

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 09:52:42 PM »

Now is that true Saami spec 6.5 or one of the type 1 or 2 spec chamber?
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 10:59:48 PM »

Now is that true Saami spec 6.5 or one of the type 1 or 2 spec chamber?

Good question. I just checked the author's (USMC) 14 Posts in that 4-page Thread, and the specific chamber type was not identified.

(http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?12111-POLL-Type-1-or-Type-2&p=133181&viewfull=1#post133181)
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 09:53:24 PM »

I've been championing the idea for a 6.5mm Bullpup, for some time: See my email-response from Steyr Arms, Scott O'Brien, dated March 20, 2013 --- (https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=2475.msg200334#msg20034).

And, I was among those Bullpup Forum Members who voted for the 6.5mm Grendel/6.5mm Creedmoor in the Desert Tech MDR "Which caliber do you want this in?" Poll.

However, as the Micro Dynamic Rifle has progressed through the various development-testing stages, it has become quite clear that the finished product is, primarily, a short-action platform. And, the .223/5.56x45mm NATO, 6.8 SPC, 7.62x39mm and .300 AAC Blackout models (which fit the shorter-length AR-15 action) come replete with a magazine adapter to fit the longer action.

So, what 6.5mm cartridges will fit the short-action-length magazine well (with or without an adapter): Two factory, the 6.5mm Grendel (case capacity - 35.0 grains) and the 6.5mm Creedmoor (case capacity - 52.5 grains); One wildcat, the 6.5mm SAUM (case capacity - 72.6 grains). And, their respective muzzle velocities with a 140-grain projectile (24" barrel): 2250 fps, 2710 fps, 3180 fps. Though GA Precision offers Hornady 6.5 GAP 4S SAUM brass, and the Copper Creek Cartridge Co. offers loaded 6.5mm GAP 4S SAUM cartridges, the cartridge is yet to be loaded by a major cartridge company.

For those of us who have opted for the 6.5mm Creedmoor chambering --- with the longer barrel length --- let's hope Desert Tech get's to it, sooner than later, after their initial release of the MDR.
Steelviper
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 10:46:42 PM »

Oh I thought the pictured rifle and results were yours SASSY. Most accurate rifle I ever fired (meaning smallest group I was ever able to obtain at range on paper) was with a loaner JP CTR-02 in 6.5 Grendel. Laid out similar to the one pictured below-

I should have bought that gun then and there but I expierenced sticker shock and it lacked things I thought all ARs needed mainly a dust cover and Forward Assist. Still those tiny tiny groups Ingot haunt my dreams.
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 11:02:53 PM »

Steelviper,

Thanks for sharing. There's just something about an auto-loading tackdriver . . .
Ditcher
^

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 12:33:23 AM »

Hell yeah!  I'm in the mist of planning a 6.5 Grendel build using a Matrix arms side charger upper.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length