Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2017, 08:54:28 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  Red dot optic for X95
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Red dot optic for X95  (Read 4801 times)
MattK

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 07:24:40 AM »

I am waiting for my X95 Flattop to be delivered. In the mean time I trying to get the misc set up parts for like a sight or a scope and a grip.
I am having a really hard time deciding if I should go with a red dot or scope.
The pickup on the red dots is awesome. I am looking at the Trijicon MRO Patrol. This is new this year, but I haven't been able to find a video of it yet that shows the actual view using it. So I am basing my opinion on the Trijicon MRO 2. The objective on this unit is amazing and should yield easy target acquisitions. I don't know if the "patrol version will be the same, or if it will be like an aimpoint which seems more like a tube to me. Does anyone have knowledge about the new patrol version?

I like the idea of having a range variable and am considering a 1x4 scope. However I really don't want to lose that easy pickup of targets looking through a tube. I see on here that some guys are using a scope and a micro, but I don't think I can shell out the dough for both. As owners of this rifle what are your thoughts based on experiences you have had? Is it relatively important to have a magnifying scope on it?

My intentions with the rifle are self defense or more of a combat role.

Regarding mounting, from what I have read here a 1/3 co-witness works best with this rifle. Can someone confirm that? ( https://www.iwi.us/X95/XG16.aspx  ) I am pretty new to optics in general so its all a bit overwhelming.

Thanks in advance for your reply  Smiley
Hivedr.

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 02:34:30 PM »

I am waiting for my X95 Flattop to be delivered. In the mean time I trying to get the misc set up parts for like a sight or a scope and a grip.
The pickup on the red dots is awesome. I am looking at the Trijicon MRO Patrol. This is new this year, but I haven't been able to find a video of it yet that shows the actual view using it. So I am basing my opinion on the Trijicon MRO 2. The objective on this unit is amazing and should yield easy target acquisitions. I don't know if the "patrol version will be the same, or if it will be like an aimpoint which seems more like a tube to me. Does anyone have knowledge about the new patrol version?

I like the idea of having a range variable and am considering a 1x4 scope. However I really don't want to lose that easy pickup of targets looking through a tube. I see on here that some guys are using a scope and a micro, but I don't think I can shell out the dough for both. As owners of this rifle what are your thoughts based on experiences you have had? Is it relatively important to have a magnifying scope on it?

Regarding mounting, from what I have read here a 1/3 co-witness works best with this rifle. Can someone confirm that? ( https://www.iwi.us/X95/XG16.aspx  ) I am pretty new to optics in general so its all a bit overwhelming.

Thanks in advance for your reply  Smiley

"My intentions with the rifle are self defense or more of a combat role". In this sentence you answered your own question as in this role coupled with the X95 design dynamics, a "red dot" is your best option. "Self defense" 0-25 yards given DOJ stats for LE and civil defensive shootings. "Combat" 0-300 yards as a number of studies have shown real world fights most often take place within this range.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:36:32 PM by Hivedr. » Logged
kingof9x

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 07:13:57 PM »

The primary arms/holosun with ACSS reticent is very nice.  After seeing it at the level 1 tavor class I went out and got one for myself.
DubageL

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 07:58:37 PM »

FYI, Mako group has 20% of meprolight RDS reflex sights.
MattK

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 08:13:27 PM »

"My intentions with the rifle are self defense or more of a combat role". In this sentence you answered your own question as in this role coupled with the X95 design dynamics, a "red dot" is your best option. "Self defense" 0-25 yards given DOJ stats for LE and civil defensive shootings. "Combat" 0-300 yards as a number of studies have shown real world fights most often take place within this range.
[/quote]

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate the extra detail stat info. It does make sense when you put it like that.
Kevlar

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 02:28:13 PM »

Kingof9X

Good to hear you gave the Holosun a try after trying it on my rifle. It was in the -20s here and it was working just fine.

For the others here -  at the level I course we ran an exercise where everyone would induce a malfunction then move over to a different rifle.  The object was to get the rifle up and running quickly but also allowed us to try different rifle set ups / optics

It was fun
popo22

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 11:21:53 AM »

Hivedr.

View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)   

Re: Red dot optic for X95
Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 02:34:30 PM    Reply with quote
Quote from: MattK on February 21, 2017, 07:24:40 AM

Regarding mounting, from what I have read here a 1/3 co-witness works best with this rifle. Can someone confirm that? ( https://www.iwi.us/X95/XG16.aspx  ) I am pretty new to optics in general so its all a bit overwhelming.

Thanks in advance for your reply  Smiley

Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:36:32 PM by Hivedr.

^^^:
Agreed. This is basically my intended use as well for "patrol". I really do not see ever shooting beyond 200 yards and the vast majority of possible use would be inside of 100 yards. For fast acquisition short distance I prefer a 2-3 mos red dot. Even with my 2 moa red dot I am able of consistently keeping a 100 yd. group around 2.5", at 25-50 yards I am able to keep groups between .5-1". That is plenty accurate for this purpose IMHO. Good Luck.

"A Wise Man Changes his Mind, but a Fool Never does"
kingof9x

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »

Kingof9X

Good to hear you gave the Holosun a try after trying it on my rifle. It was in the -20s here and it was working just fine.

For the others here -  at the level I course we ran an exercise where everyone would induce a malfunction then move over to a different rifle.  The object was to get the rifle up and running quickly but also allowed us to try different rifle set ups / optics

It was fun

It was fun. I can share some opinions based on that experience. I brought a meprolight m21 with circle dot reticle. It was hard to use that accurately at 100 yards. the circle covered up to much of the target. I was lent a mepro m21 with the triangle and used that for the rest of the course. It was way easier to shoot accurately with that. When we ran the drill Kevlar referred to everybody got to shoot the meprolight red dot, meprolight m21, a couple eotech sights, an aimpoint, and the holosun/primary arms.

The holosun/primary arms sight has a very nice triangle with bullet drop. It makes it very nice when shooting at close range and at 100 yards. I bought a red dot magnifier to try and see how the bullet drop reticle works past 100 yards but I don't have easy access to a range that long.

http://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-paralow-hs503g-red-dot-sight-acss-reticle-hs503g-acss Not only does it have an awesome reticle, and apparently works in 20 below 0 weather but costs way less than a meprolight which costs way less than other well known brands.
popo22

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 09:54:00 PM »

I often catch myself gravitating toward expecting to get "sub-moa" groups from the "X95" due to my "counter-sniper" background, but then try to bring myself back to reality and remember what I got the x95 for (a cqc rifle that I can carry in my trunk and deploy in urban/close quarter situations).  The 2 moa "red dot" fills the intended purpose perfectly, I just need to keep my head on straight and remember it's intended purpose. If I need a "sub-moa" rifle then I need to carry the right equipment.

"A Wise Man Changes his Mind, but a Fool Never does"
Rastoff

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2017, 09:12:19 PM »

I'm a big fan of the MRO, but that ACSS reticle does look nice.

What's the battery life on the Holosun with ACSS?

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
sttaylor
New Posting Member

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 06:57:03 PM »

If your ballin on a budget as I am then consider the Vortex AR spark red dot.... found it on amazon for $170. It works great.
downeyg

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2017, 10:00:27 PM »

I have a MRO and an American Defense lower 1/3 co-witness mount which is actually a true co-witness on X95.  I have an astigmatism so the dot on all sights is screwed up.  I pick the portion of the screwed up dot which is most defined.  For precision distance shooting where speed is not required, I flip up the rear sight and look through the aperture and the dot cleans up quit a bit.  It is the same as looking through a pin hole which uses less of the eye and therefore an astigmatism has less influence on your vision.  If Leupold still made the prismatic sight, I would have purchased it instead of the MRO because the reticle was etched on the lens and my astigmatism would have had less of an effect.

* IMG_1708.JPG (1499.41 KB, 4011x2903 - viewed 80 times.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:05:54 PM by downeyg » Logged
gsxr1300

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2017, 12:22:20 PM »

I have a Mepro RDS Pro--it's great for the X95. It even looks like it was designed for it stylistically. Large field of view, easy to adjust brightness levels, automatic on and off feature--1.8moa dot. Everything you need. I sold my X95 though so mine is up for sale since I don't need one right now. If I get another X95 in the future, I'll go back to it for sure.

Is it for sale?
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2017, 02:44:30 PM »

GSX--I had it up for sale for a while on Evilbay at $500 free shipping, but no one wanted to buy it. I paid $570 for it around Christmas time last year and I'm not really interested in selling it at much more of a loss than $500. It's like new--shot once with it and kept it in the box after selling my first X95. So I figured I'd just keep it instead while saving for my second X95. It's an awesome, simple little sight. Sure you can get the standard RDS for a lot cheaper, but it isn't milspec and the shorter hood doesn't look as sharp to me.

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
gsxr1300

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2017, 05:16:37 PM »

Thanks ill probably order one soon.
gunhand

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 02:06:17 PM »

When I originally bought my X95, I put a Meprolight M21 optic on it. I have since changed to a Aimpoint T-1 on both the X95 and my Steyr AUG.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:09:22 PM by gunhand » Logged
spyrius

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2017, 08:32:18 PM »

When I originally bought my X95, I put a Meprolight M21 optic on it. I have since changed to a Aimpoint T-1 on both the X95 and my Steyr AUG.

Why did you change? I'm thinking about getting a M21.
SemiAuto9

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2017, 11:24:24 AM »

Was thinking of running a VORTEX VENOM on a X95. Anyone have experience with that red dot system on a X95 TAVOR?
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2017, 11:51:18 AM »

Why did you change? I'm thinking about getting a M21.

Not original poster but...
It's a 20+ year old design with well documented issues. Dim reticle and weight are a couple.

Love my MRO
gsxr1300

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2017, 01:06:13 PM »

Mepro RDS Pro came in today cant wait ti try it out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length