Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2017, 07:12:52 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  Red dot optic for X95
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Red dot optic for X95  (Read 3890 times)
Bal2002

« on: February 06, 2017, 05:39:02 PM »

Hi everyone. New member and first post.

I'm looking for red dot recommendations for an X95. Here's what I've considered so far:
  • EOTech 518
  • Mepro Tru-Dot RDS Pro
  • Aimpoint Pro
  • Trijicon MRO

I like the idea of a small MOA and may want to put a magnifier in front of the RDS. I'm not overly concerned with night vision compatibility.

I like the Eotech 518 because of its 1 MOA and also its style of reticle. But then I started hearing about drift issues with Eotech and people sending them back (though I've not seen specific negative comments on the 518). I also like that it runs on AA batteries.

What are people's thoughts?
justinf

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 06:09:28 PM »

I returned my Eotechs...use MROs and Aimpoint T1/T2s now.  I recommend both.
Bal2002

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 06:32:30 PM »

Justin - did you consider the Mepro at all?
Jack Flag

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 07:02:45 PM »

I've owned and liked EOTechs. I never had an issue with them. But if I had had any when the thermal drift crap storm surfaced. I probably would have dumped any that I had. I do love the FOV and the circle/dot reticle on the EOTechs.

I like Aimpoints and own a couple. I'd probably go with the PRO out of your list. It's basically a slightly cheaper (but still great quality) CompM2. Which was/is the standard in red dot sights.

I've heard great things about the MRO, but I've never tried one. I'd take a look at the new MRO Patrol coming out this year. It's got, among other things, lens caps which I think are a must if you can get them on an optic.
semper paratus
^
Bullpup Fanatic

Always Ready - even 4 the - zombie apocalypse

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 08:03:35 PM »

I dumped my EOTech when they reported the problem.  I never had an issue and liked them, but I was not about to take the chance with the liability.  If you use something that has a know problem - is it worth the risk.

I switched over to a 1-4x 24mm --- getting older --- need the magnification
Apache
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 12:16:26 AM »

I also dropped my EOTech and replaced it with a Leupold Patrol 1.25-4 . IMHO this is one of the most overlooked optics out there, variable power and when you close the front cover it's a 1X Red Dot ...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Sine Missione
Bal2002

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 01:11:59 AM »

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 01:36:30 AM »

I have a Mepro RDS Pro--it's great for the X95. It even looks like it was designed for it stylistically. Large field of view, easy to adjust brightness levels, automatic on and off feature--1.8moa dot. Everything you need. I sold my X95 though so mine is up for sale since I don't need one right now. If I get another X95 in the future, I'll go back to it for sure.
timetraveler

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 09:46:05 PM »

Also consider the Vortex Razor® AMG™ UH-1™ Holographic Sight — 1 MOA Dot. This sight was introduced at the 2017 Shot Show.  It is expected to be available March 2017.

URL:  http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/razor_amg_uh-1_red_dot 
adoloris

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 09:57:45 PM »

I have run both the MRO and Mepro RDS on my X-95 and find the RDS to be a little faster to pick up and has a larger field of view than the MRO. I just put 1200 rounds down range during a two day tactical carbine course with the MRO and wished I had the RDS. The MRO dot has a little starburst with my astigmatism, and I tend to get some tunnel vision with tubular sights.
 I also have an EoTech G33 magnifier from my EoTech days that I tried with the MRO but experienced further distortion of the MRO dot. There is no distortion of the RDS dot, even in the G33 magnifier. I suspect that the difference between the MRO & RDS is the dot projection which is linear in the RDS onto a flat lens vs. from 10 O'clock onto a curved, aspherical lens in the MRO, PLUS my astigmatism.
I absolutely loved the 68 MOA circle, 1 MOA dot EoTech reticle and if they ever sort out the thermal drift issue and improve battery life, I will be running it again. It is the fastest reticle for me to acquire and allowed for holdovers & ranging as well. For now I'll be running the Mepro RDS on my X-95 which is my go to HD gun. Hope this helps.

"Love never fails!"
Bal2002

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 12:28:28 PM »

Really helpful - thanks. I too have astigmatism and was wondering how that might affect usage.

The Vortex looks interesting but it looks HUGE (check out this picture of it mounted on an M4 http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2017/01/16/new-vortex-razor-amg-uh-1-red-dot/)

The current issue of Recoil has an ad for another optic I've not heard of before: DI Optical EG-1 http://diopticalusa.com/?page_id=496
PattonWasRight

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 04:45:25 PM »

Have you considered one of the newer 1-4X "Red Dot Scopes?"

Gives you the function of both a red dot at 1X and can stretch out with 4X ... which was good enough for WWII snipers

Vortex has some nice options, lifetime warranties.

Thought I'd mention it given you were already considering an addt'l magnifier

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just Your Average Jewish Redneck.
Bal2002

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 05:25:40 PM »

Thanks PattonWasRight. I hadn't considered those but will research. I want something that has infinite eye relief and did not think that would be the case with a magnifier, but I might be wrong.
DILLIGAF

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 10:33:22 PM »

One of these  Wink

popo22
New Posting Member

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 01:07:36 AM »

I know many like to buy the more expensive brands but I have used the "Lucid xd7" on my x95 for a while and never had any problems with it. 2 moa dot with different reticles  available(switch to different reticles without change of zero). I have been using it on my "patrol" x95 for a while with no problems. I just put a "Holosun HS515BU" on it and this "RDS" seems every bit as reliable with a 2 moa red dot, but with a smaller package. Time will tell but both of these options are viable for a lot less $$$.

"A Wise Man Changes his Mind, but a Fool Never does"
ranger56528

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »

So far the Mepro RDS has worked fine for me for the price but now I'm thinking about the New Vortex Huey, Lifetime warranty no questions asked for 499.00, can't beat that with a stick.
LastFrontier907

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 06:18:38 PM »

How come the mepro mor isn't widely considered an optic for the tavor? I found one for slightly more $ than a t1 aimpoint.
1 Year Wonder
New Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 09:27:53 PM »

So does anyone use the micro red dots like Primary or Holosun? I find these more desirable than aim points Etc.
Kevlar

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 11:10:22 PM »

I have the Holosun / Primary Arms micro with ACSS reticle on both my X95s

Ran it at the level I IWI course in November, no problems and other students commented on how they liked the reticle.

I really like it and it has functioned well in the sub zero SD winter weather.

Time will tell to determine reliability but I am digging em
ranger56528

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 11:16:44 PM »

Mine with the Mepro RDS.

* IMG_1556.JPG (1184.4 KB, 2592x1936 - viewed 151 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length