Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 08:11:33 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Kel-Tec RFB, RDB, M-43 (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  RDB bolt release/charging handle issues
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RDB bolt release/charging handle issues  (Read 1828 times)
FarmHand
New Posting Member

« on: January 26, 2017, 10:41:13 PM »

So I just purchased my RDB the other week and I've shot about 300 or so rounds through it over the past few days. I've had no real problems with feeding (I think one or two times the gun simply failed to eject which was quickly fixed by racking the charging handle) But I've noticed when I'm reloading the rifle that the bolt realease is almost impossible to use. I've resorted to using the charging handle instead, which wouldn't be a problem except sometimes it's incredibly difficult to rack after the bolt holds open on an empty mag. When I say difficult I mean I've got to put some serious effort into racking the handle. It feels like the bolt or something is catching on something but I can't quite figure out what it is. This malfunction (?) happened using a couple different mags(magpul, stanag, & Hex) and only happened occasionally . I want to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this with their RDB or if I'm completely ignorant of something with the RDB. Either way, any information is greatly appreciated because other than this little issue and the mag realease, I really like this rifle.
-Zach
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 11:28:11 PM »

What do you mean the bolt release is impossible to use? Yeah, the bolt release is pretty stiff. You will need to apply direct pressure with your thumb while your fingers are resting on the body of the rifle.

As for the charging handle, it should not be difficult to rack at all.

But I mostly use the bolt release to drop the bolt, not the charging handle. It's pretty stiff because the springs are new. It loosens up after some time.  I do agree that they should have made a slightly more ergonomic bolt release. Oh well.
FarmHand
New Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 11:47:40 PM »

So Ive had the gun briefly, but I've found it near impossible to use the bolt release as it's incredibly stiff which makes it nearly impossible for me to use. The problem with the charging handle only happens occasionally, but it's persisting. Essentially after the gun locks back on an empty mag and I reload by inserting the new mag I then rack the charging handle. The pull is smooth until the very end of travel and then it's incredibly difficult to move the final 1/4-1/2 inch or so where it engages the bolt and allows it to travel forward. It's odd as it occurs randomly and even when a new mag is not inserted to reload.
It just seems odd and I've never heard of anyone else having this issue with the rifle.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 12:52:01 AM »

My bolt release was too stiff for me to use out of box...it only worked when I inserted a loaded mag with the bolt open.  It being a new and unique design I thought this was normal.  Now it's super smooth and functions just fine.  It felt super stiff out of box for sure.
Tj7

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 10:34:40 AM »

My bolt release was too stiff for me to use out of box...it only worked when I inserted a loaded mag with the bolt open.  It being a new and unique design I thought this was normal.  Now it's super smooth and functions just fine.  It felt super stiff out of box for sure.

+1 It definitely has to be a loaded mag. I was playing around with my friends RDB one day running some reload drills next to the Tavor, and the bolt release on the RDB had to be worked with snap caps. In the Tavor you can just drop it, but the spring tension from the mag is enough to make the release stiff on the RDB. Lock the bolt to the rear with an empty mag in it, then drop the mag, and then try to release the bolt. It should be a lot easier and very smooth. That procedure or a loaded mag is really the only way to drop it smoothly.

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of happiness, are the essential principles of a free society. There is no substitute, or partial acceptance. -TJ
Guppy1026

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 05:12:31 PM »

I would like to reopen this thread. I don't think it was addressed fully. I am having the same issue. Once a magazine is empty and the bolt is being held open I can remove the empty magazine,  and it doesn't  matter whether I leave a magazine out of the rifle or load a full magazine, bolt open release buttons are impossible to use and the charge handle is almost the same. The last 3/4" or so will require at least 20-25 lbs to pull back to the full open position to release the bolt forward. It may be more than that, it acts as if it is stuck. It only does this from firing the last round in the magazine. If I simply place a empty magazine in and pull back the charge handle the bolt holds back. I can remove the magazine, use the bolt open release buttons or use the charge handle no problem.
Nobody else is seeing this with their RDB?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 05:14:26 PM by Guppy1026 » Logged
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 06:58:54 PM »

how new is your rdb?  without combing back through this thread my mag release was very stiff out of the box.  in fact i was unable to release on an empty mag after last shot fired or bolt locked back.  even removing the empty mag i was unable to release the bolt.  all this only using the bolt release and not the charging handle.  i only run gen3 magpul mags now, but do run gen2 and elander steel mags as well.  it's been over a year now and i have no issues with bolt release.  i never sent the rifle in nor did i do anything to the bolt release at all.  again it was very stiff out of box.

now manually locking the bolt back by holding the bolt release tab up with no mag inserted...locks back at about just under an inch from the receiver.  releasing with the charging handle empty magwell or not appears to be the same on my rifle.

again, it appears my rifle has smoothed itself out...very smooth...like riding in a cadillac smooth.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:01:54 PM by HBeretta » Logged
Guppy1026

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 07:29:28 PM »

I have put about 300 to 400 round though it. I don't believe your situation is the same as the original poster or my situation. I have never been able to use the bolt release buttons to release the bolt. And the force required to pull the last 3/4" of the charge handle is very close to the force required in mortaring an AR15 on a closed bolt condition. Something has to be jamming or sticking the bolt open.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:31:30 PM by Guppy1026 » Logged
Guppy1026

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 08:05:10 PM »

On a Facebook bullpup (RFB / RDB) page there is a gentleman telling another what he did to fix this condition. I've asked him for his fix. Once I have an answer I will post. But it has something to do with the bolt hold open arms slipping by the bolt carrier face.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 08:34:59 PM »

i read your post again to be sure i didn't miss anything.  so loaded magazines cause the problem but empty mags and everything functions fine?  i'm curious to see how you resolve this.   
Guppy1026

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 08:42:39 PM »

Firing the last round in a magazine. Which then causes a bolt hold open condition. Manually cycling to a bolt hold open condition, probably doesn't provide enough force to cause the condition.
My response back from asking about the fix on Facebook brought this answer:
"The (bolt hold) arms are the only logical choice to the bolt carrier getting stuck, which makes the charging handle very hard to pull back to chamber a new round.  After noticing the sides of the carrier shown signs of wear I than notice that the arms are wider than the carrier itself.  Now this issue only happens randomly and only after the last round and bolt locks back. Since it only does it after the last round. The arms are the only cause.  So I bend the arms inward and the issue is solved."
Then the description of how he fixed it:
"Yeah.  Just have the hammer forward.  And take long needle nose pliers and just bend the tips of the arms inward. You can actually take the bolt carrier and just rest the carrier where it would be if is was to be lock back to make sure the arms are contacting the face of the carrier."
I should be able to check on mine and test this week, I'll post the results.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:49:55 PM by Guppy1026 » Logged
Guppy1026

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 05:35:05 PM »

This is the fix! It was never right from the begin! Love this rifle now, over my ARs.
Mr.Meric

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 10:29:50 AM »

This is the fix! It was never right from the begin! Love this rifle now, over my ARs.

I've tried this "fix".  I can't for the life of me get the rail tips to bend a micrometer.  Not sure how you guys accomplished this.  I tried, my son tried... nothing.

~Mr. Meric #BigDaddyXK

"Life is short, you make choices and you don't look back...."
Guppy1026

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 12:08:08 PM »

I bent mine in the full length of the arm instead of just the tip. I raised it up with the bolt release button. Used a needle nose pliers and twisted the pliers. I bent the arms just enough to be narrower then the width of the bolt carrier block.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length