Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2017, 06:58:55 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Bushmaster M17s
| | |-+  K&M made an impression at SHOT
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: K&M made an impression at SHOT  (Read 2947 times)
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: January 24, 2017, 12:21:00 AM »

Check out this article about bullpups at SHOT

https://thearmsguide.com/11788/bullpup-round-shot-show-2017/

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 04:26:54 AM »

The M17s sounds like an impressive rifle. I have heard other people say good things about the rifle. The author of this article mentions the great trigger. I would like the opportunity to give it a whirl one day. It looks light-weight, solid and is supposedly reliable.

I do, however, wonder how the author would have reacted had he actually spent time with a Keltec RDB. He mentioned that there wasn't a model available to play with and thus, sorta glossed over it. But most people who own one, including myself, have been blown away by the rifle. Its groundbreaking features and handling are currently being contrasted with the upcoming MDR rifle, and it also has an exceptional trigger. Many contend that the RDB is arguably the most advanced 5.56 bullpup available today in terms of features.

I'm wondering if you have had the chance to handle one yet. You have mentioned before that you like innovative products.
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 10:17:10 AM »

I am glad to see Ken's rifles finally being recognized
DarkHelmet
^

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 08:41:01 PM »

The M17s sounds like an impressive rifle. I have heard other people say good things about the rifle. The author of this article mentions the great trigger. I would like the opportunity to give it a whirl one day. It looks light-weight, solid and is supposedly reliable.

I do, however, wonder how the author would have reacted had he actually spent time with a Keltec RDB. He mentioned that there wasn't a model available to play with and thus, sorta glossed over it. But most people who own one, including myself, have been blown away by the rifle. Its groundbreaking features and handling are currently being contrasted with the upcoming MDR rifle, and it also has an exceptional trigger. Many contend that the RDB is arguably the most advanced 5.56 bullpup available today in terms of features.

I'm wondering if you have had the chance to handle one yet. You have mentioned before that you like innovative products.

The M17s is a great range rifle and easy as all get out to disassemble but I don't feel like it is necessarily a battle rifle.  To many spots for ingress of bad stuff like mud, dust and sand into the upper.  I'm not aware of anyone having run the K&M through the wringer and I sure as hell do not intend to do any severe duty tests with mine.  How do you feel about the RDB as far as reliability in adverse conditions?
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 01:15:19 AM »

From what I remember hearing, the M17 is purposely designed open with plenty of ingress as well as egress points. It's so open that nothing is going to get lodged inside. You can just shake debris through the rifle. I'm not sure about that, but I think I remember hearing MAC say that in a video.

As for the RDB, in my opinion, the controls are intuitive and spot on, the rifle is ridiculously light weight, pretty darn accurate, best trigger for an assault-rifle, compact, 100% ambi, even on the fly, easy to take down and clean, fires cleanly(doesn't poop where it eats). It's essentially the perfect 5.56 bullpup, imo. The ONLY issue I have with it is QC. Seriously, Keltec has idiotic lapses in QC, such as welds not being done properly and extractor pins falling out. But none of those flaws are inherent with the design. If they simply improved inspection and assembly procedures to the point where those issues vanished, it would be easily as reliable as the Tavor or other reliable battle rifles. For those who have an RDB where nothing is out of spec, they have been firing along reliably and can do anything an M4, Tavor, AUG or any other rifle can do, and is superior in my opinion.

The ONLY issue people have with Keltec weapons is their QC. I can think of no inherent design flaws.

Here is a link to a pretty detailed write-up I did with my initial experience with the RDB.

https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=10493.0
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 01:18:53 AM by Frostburg » Logged
DarkHelmet
^

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 01:30:47 AM »

From what I remember hearing, the M17 is purposely designed open with plenty of ingress as well as egress points. It's so open that nothing is going to get lodged inside. You can just shake debris through the rifle. I'm not sure about that, but I think I remember hearing MAC say that in a video.

As for the RDB, in my opinion, the controls are intuitive and spot on, the rifle is ridiculously light weight, pretty darn accurate, best trigger for an assault-rifle, compact, 100% ambi, even on the fly, easy to take down and clean, fires cleanly(doesn't poop where it eats). It's essentially the perfect 5.56 bullpup, imo. The ONLY issue I have with it is QC. Seriously, Keltec has idiotic lapses in QC, such as welds not being done properly and extractor pins falling out. But none of those flaws are inherent with the design. If they simply improved inspection and assembly procedures to the point where those issues vanished, it would be easily as reliable as the Tavor or other reliable battle rifles. For those who have an RDB where nothing is out of spec, they have been firing along reliably and can do anything an M4, Tavor, AUG or any other rifle can do, and is superior in my opinion.

The ONLY issue people have with Keltec weapons is their QC. I can think of no inherent design flaws.

Here is a link to a pretty detailed write-up I did with my initial experience with the RDB.

Well I still don't know how I would feel about a bunch of crap working it's way into the upper, you are right it would make it easier to remove said crap though looking at the design.  The RDB sounds impressive based on your review, how much dicking do you have to do with the gas settings with different similar pressure loads?  Did you figure out what was stopping the bolt from holding open? was it a faulty mag?  It's a damn shame they can't get their QC up to snuff, I wonder if they are having issues with suppliers, or are they inhouse parts that are failing?
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 10:20:20 AM »

Well I still don't know how I would feel about a bunch of crap working it's way into the upper, you are right it would make it easier to remove said crap though looking at the design.  The RDB sounds impressive based on your review, how much dicking do you have to do with the gas settings with different similar pressure loads?  Did you figure out what was stopping the bolt from holding open? was it a faulty mag?  It's a damn shame they can't get their QC up to snuff, I wonder if they are having issues with suppliers, or are they inhouse parts that are failing?

I believe that was caused by the mags, as the problems went away when I used Pmags.
The gas settings didn't require too much work. I am kinda OCD about it, so I did the gas adjust procedure twice to ensure I was on the right setting. But I basically just lowered the gas until failures, and then raised them up again two clicks beyond reliability.
As for the QC, yeah, I can't fathom why they can't get that right.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:22:12 AM by Frostburg » Logged
joelad

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 01:13:36 PM »

I'd read their M17S heats up quickly due to all the metal. It doesn't cool down quickly either. Don't let it sit in the sun too long then pick it up to fire.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length