Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 21, 2017, 03:29:01 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:        2017 SHOT Show       -       16 through 20, January, 2017       -       Sands Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr AUG AUG icon
| | | |-+  Metal AUG Trigger internals?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Metal AUG Trigger internals?  (Read 373 times)
spyderco monkey

« on: January 11, 2017, 03:44:24 AM »

I was thinking today, if the 2020 Precision Sear a) noticeably improves the trigger and b) is made of aluminum, then would not an Aluminum hammer and disconector also be helpful, as the metal parts would be more rigid and less prone to flex/mushiness? And if they were all coated with self-lubricating nickel teflon (Robar NP3) wouldn't they also slide together more smoothly then the factory plastic parts?

Also, if the hammer were heavier, would not the hammer spring be able to reduced in weight as well, helping lower the trigger pull while still retaining enough energy to set off the primers?

This seems like it would be a relatively simple project - certainly much easier then the previous HTM Hybrid where an AR15 trigger group is modified to fit in the AUG.

TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 12:56:37 PM »

Creativity can overcome lots of previously "accepted" knowledge when it comes to firearms design.  The reasoning behind using an AR15 style trigger is actually not a bad idea...not saying it should be the only template by any means.  I have the 2020 sear in my AUG, and it allowed me to keep the gun, as I think the AUG has one of the worst bullpup triggers out there.  It is at least acceptable now, but you're correct in stating that it is capable of being highly improved.

I notice that K&M Arms with their M17 series bullpups uses an Elftmann trigger that is heavily based on an AR15 design, and it has excellent trigger pull ratings and reviews.  The trigger packs for Tavors/X95's also show the ability for bullpups to have very good trigger quality.  I have one in my Tavor, and it is the primary reason my Tavor takes precedence over my AUG in serious use.

On the material in a trigger pack, perhaps design and function is more important than materials alone, and I can see design creativity offering other options than just metal.  However, I'd think the hammer/sear components would provide better and lasting performance if made out of quality steel...though the application of nickel boron or such could be an improvement.  I have at least three NiB treated AR triggers at the moment, and I detect a noticeable improvement in the basic milspec standard in just this one element.
INV136

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 02:01:06 PM »

On the material in a trigger pack, perhaps design and function is more important than materials alone, and I can see design creativity offering other options than just metal.  However, I'd think the hammer/sear components would provide better and lasting performance if made out of quality steel...though the application of nickel boron or such could be an improvement.  I have at least three NiB treated AR triggers at the moment, and I detect a noticeable improvement in the basic milspec standard in just this one element.

I've replaced the trigger groups in all of my AR type rifles with Geisselle trigger groups. Much better than just coating the triggers.
desertmoon

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 11:12:43 PM »

An aluminum hammer and sear would be a no go as aluminum just can't wear like steel.  Also, an aluminum hammer would be beat to pieces on the firing pin. 

In the case of the 20/20 aluminum sear alone, the hammer hand off takes most of the impact abuse during the reset.  The sear itself simply gets the hammer passed back to it when the trigger is released.  With a good, anodized finish, this should not be a problem at all concerning wear of the sear/hammer interface.

What I think MIGHT be a good asset is an aluminum trigger.  I am in the early stages of learning the AUG but from what I can tell, an aluminum trigger would help eliminate the plastic to plastic "sticking" of the trigger to the stock body.

Along with the 20/20 sear, I think this would give an optimum yet very safe trigger pull.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length