Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2017, 03:26:35 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Kel-Tec RFB, RDB, M-43 (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  RFB Range report
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RFB Range report  (Read 3538 times)
DT5000
^

« on: January 07, 2017, 10:29:21 AM »

I purchased my tan RFB from Homeland Guns at some point last year and it has been a safe queen for quite some time. I have wanted to shoot it but was apprehensive due to the hit or miss type of reviews you hear about the RFB platform in general. I have cleaned and lubed my rifle numerous times to familiarize myself with the ins and out of the RFB platform. I also cleaned the gas system thuroughly. So yesterday I was invited out to a friends and family day at my local range and decided to bring the RFB, I was nervous to say the least. Ammo used was 149 grain military surplus, not sure on exact brand. I am happy to report that it ran flawlessly. I used two different mags, and the adjusted the gas rather quickly. I was completely blown away by the slight shove of the recoil impulse. Of all the guns I shot that day the RFB A was the highlight for me. That and the fact that I feel lucky that mine worked rather well. And it sure is a head turner. People couldn't get enough of the RFB.

* IMG_1906.PNG (6387.67 KB, 1242x2208 - viewed 184 times.)
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 01:18:35 AM »

lol...dunno how you can buy a gun then take it straight to the safe.  hell i go straight from my ffl to the nearest gun range with a new gun purchase.  i'm very interested in the RFB right now....the 24" hunter variant in OD green.  i'm curious to know what your accuracy is from a 100yds with your gun. 
tavor hollow

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 10:09:41 AM »

I'm mostly a tavor Guy.I got my rfb first about 3.5 years ago? But the next week I was pulling the trigger on the tavor its Israeli ....I didn't see it first but when I did I couldn't resist.that said my rfb isn't 100% or near it but still I LOVE it.to me the ergos and comfort are unmatched not to mention. 308!! Like you said impulse is good my heavy savage bolt bumps hard rfb well I just wish it was 100% I wonder if gear head or somebody has custom work to improve function?  I'm glad yours seems good. Bullpups, brothers with different mothers.

* IMG1293.jpg (1807.47 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 129 times.)
Steelviper
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 12:54:15 PM »

I'm mostly a tavor Guy.I got my rfb first about 3.5 years ago? But the next week I was pulling the trigger on the tavor its Israeli ....I didn't see it first but when I did I couldn't resist.that said my rfb isn't 100% or near it but still I LOVE it.to me the ergos and comfort are unmatched not to mention. 308!! Like you said impulse is good my heavy savage bolt bumps hard rfb well I just wish it was 100% I wonder if gear head or somebody has custom work to improve function?  I'm glad yours seems good. Bullpups, brothers with different mothers.

100% agree believe the RFB has the best Ergonomics on the market. Just wish it was 100%
badbobdcop

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 01:52:52 PM »

I have been shooting bullpups since 2013.  I am still working on accuracy.  I think the weapons are generally more accurate than the shooter.  The advantage of the bullpup is it is short, compact, light and fast.  I believe that any error we make is magnified because the weapon is so short and fast.  Shooting fundamentals, sight alignment, trigger control and in particular with bullpups follow through, is a greater factor than the weapons inherant accuracy.
Bullpup accuracy measured off the bench is generally behind conventional weapons.  But real world shooting in positions such as kneeling or standing more than makes up for it.
As others have commented, how a weapon such as the RFB-where the barrel and action are spine of the weapon can be so good is amazing.
Is this a sniper rifle, no.  But how many have ever fired a sniper rifle in other than the bench/prone position?
Can the RFB attain reasonable accuracy, yes
The below targets were fired from an RFB, Leupold 2.5-8 Mark IV, Federal 168 Match, 100 yards.  I added the ruler as the targets aren't dimensionally correct.

* IMG_0953.JPG (2169.67 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 90 times.)

* IMG_0954.JPG (2213.75 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 69 times.)
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 03:46:41 PM »

looks like you were getting warmed up with that last group...looked like just under 1.5" moa center to center.
badbobdcop

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 12:07:52 AM »

Regarding the last group.  Even a blind hog gets one now and then.

Actually I was changing the way I controlled the weapon.  A lot more grip with the strong side hand. Good pressure to the shoulder and the support hand on the forearm tensioning the weapon sling.  I cheated and let the support hand just touch a sandbag.

I believe when the group strings horizontal the weapon is being allowed to twist under recoil.  Remember the scope is setting well above the bore.  When the group strings vertically it could be breathing. Or in the case of a bullpup that recoil is picking up the front of the weapon before the bullet clears the muzzle.  A hand on the forearm, more consistent cheek pressure and pulling the weapon snugly into the shoulder will help.

I am still working on it.

HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 02:02:42 AM »

Regarding the last group.  Even a blind hog gets one now and then.

Actually I was changing the way I controlled the weapon.  A lot more grip with the strong side hand. Good pressure to the shoulder and the support hand on the forearm tensioning the weapon sling.  I cheated and let the support hand just touch a sandbag.

I believe when the group strings horizontal the weapon is being allowed to twist under recoil.  Remember the scope is setting well above the bore.  When the group strings vertically it could be breathing. Or in the case of a bullpup that recoil is picking up the front of the weapon before the bullet clears the muzzle.  A hand on the forearm, more consistent cheek pressure and pulling the weapon snugly into the shoulder will help.

I am still working on it.

well call me a cheater because i'll hook my index finger on my afg2 fore grip pulling it down into the sandbag.  if i don't and i'm lazy about it...definitely get vertical stringing.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 12:46:40 PM »

While the RFB has some issues for some owners in tuning the gas to ammo and conditions in some cases, we seldom hear about the many thousands that function just fine.  Mine has been totally reliable.  It consistently lags behind by about .5-.75 MOA compared to my 20" Armalite .308 shooting off front and rear bags.  I find that decently impressive since the AR10 gets about 1.0-1.25 MOA as a rule.  I have a quality 5-20 scope on the AR10 and just a decent 3-9 scope on the RFB.  I think there are very few .308 bullpups because they are more challenging to manufacture.  It's still one of my favorite rifles.  I'm considering trying my suppressor on it this year, which can require some tweaking.
Whoops

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 07:04:02 PM »

While the RFB has some issues for some owners in tuning the gas to ammo and conditions in some cases, we seldom hear about the many thousands that function just fine.  Mine has been totally reliable.  It consistently lags behind by about .5-.75 MOA compared to my 20" Armalite .308 shooting off front and rear bags.  I find that decently impressive since the AR10 gets about 1.0-1.25 MOA as a rule.  I have a quality 5-20 scope on the AR10 and just a decent 3-9 scope on the RFB.  I think there are very few .308 bullpups because they are more challenging to manufacture.  It's still one of my favorite rifles.  I'm considering trying my suppressor on it this year, which can require some tweaking.

I've probably sent about 3-400 rounds downrange with my RFB and while I haven't done any real accuracy testing, by my guess 1.5-2.5 MOA is what I'm getting. I did have some issues with reliability when I switched from steel (tulammo) to brass (bunch of old ammo that we picked up at a pawn shop). I never adjusted the gas system to try and get that ammo to work, and the next time we went out, that ammo, as well as the steel cased, worked 100%. Idk exactly what was going on yet.
Steelviper
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 04:23:43 PM »

Mine floats in the 1.5-2 MOA range which was plenty accurate for 99% of shooting. Just was never reliable enough for duty use.
Whoops

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 05:18:34 AM »

Mine floats in the 1.5-2 MOA range which was plenty accurate for 99% of shooting. Just was never reliable enough for duty use.

What is the intended purpose? 1.5-2 moa I'm willing to wager is better than or equal to most service weapons, so I'd be surprised if you needed a .1 moa all day guarantee on your duty weapon.
Steelviper
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 11:41:26 PM »

Sorry you mis-interpreted my post 1.5-2 MOA is plenty accurate for duty. Again I said 99% of use. The RFB was just never RELIABLE enough for Duty Use. Again the ergonomics were the best for me of any rifle I've ever handled, the forward ejection that retained then just trickled out spent brass was the bee's knees. And the recoil impulse was so fluid follow on shots were a breeze. The RFB was the rifle I really really wanted to love.

Sadly I only find reliable guns interesting.
Whoops

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 06:18:50 AM »

Sorry you mis-interpreted my post 1.5-2 MOA is plenty accurate for duty. Again I said 99% of use. The RFB was just never RELIABLE enough for Duty Use. Again the ergonomics were the best for me of any rifle I've ever handled, the forward ejection that retained then just trickled out spent brass was the bee's knees. And the recoil impulse was so fluid follow on shots were a breeze. The RFB was the rifle I really really wanted to love.

Sadly I only find reliable guns interesting.
Oh derp my b. I do like the RGB a lot. However I haven't had any reliability issues but we will see.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length