Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2017, 01:51:27 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  K&M Arms M17S 5.56 and .308
| | |-+  Potential cheap redneck fix for the M17s556 charging handle length issue.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Potential cheap redneck fix for the M17s556 charging handle length issue.  (Read 1060 times)
DarkHelmet
^

« on: December 29, 2016, 07:38:21 PM »

Word of warning: I'm currently testing this out, I'll be back with my observations after this weekend.

I don't know about others here, but in my experience the charging handle (system?) is an exercise in frustration on the M17s.  

At this point I suspect the tube that pushes the bolt back is canted inside the Mickey Mouse guide (It literally looks like Mickey Mouse, no engineering puns here) due to what feels like excessive play in the mechanism.  You can feel the wonkiness with the BCG removed but it is significantly magnified when under pressured by the BCG springs. EDIT:(Turns out it was just from the Delrin charging handle itself, the guides and other internal workings are fine!) 

It has been a complaint by myself and others that have shot the rifle.  It's so bad that it has caused an unacceptable amount of jams when chambering a round usually due to accidental release when attempting to pull the damned thing.  I actually had an incident where a round ended up jammed backwards pinched between the BCG and the frame.  Thank goodness it's very easy to disassemble, it's been relatively easy to clear these issues.

Now that I've aired my grievances, on to the redneck fix I have in place (temporarily?) in an attempt to de-suckify the charging handle at least.

Tools:

• 3.5mm or 9/64 Allen wrench
  • Scissors
  • #2 Phillips screw driver
  • Pencil, or some other marking instrument

Materials:

• 1 x 9mm 1/4 drive socket
  • 1 x 3M "Tacticool" Friction Tape link
  • 1 x #8-32 x 2 in Oval Head Phillips machine screw link
  • Sheet of Paper

1) Remove the charging handle from the rifle (do not hulk out and destroy it once removed, we still need it)

2) Place sheet of paper against the edge of something, like a table or counter so it lay flush.  Place the charging handle with socket head screw still inside against the edge of whatever you placed the paper on and mark the length of the exposed screw.

4) Remove the socket head screw but keep it somewhere safe, in case you want to undo these shenanigans later.  Place the 9mm socket on top of the charging handle such that the 1/4 socket hole sits on top charging handle and the holes on both are aligned.  Place the #8-32 x 2" machine screw through both so it looks like this:

5) Check the exposed screw length of your assembly versus the marks you made from the original earlier, if you are lucky like me they are pretty spot on and no changes are necessary.

6) Screw the goofy assembly you just made on to your expensive rifle (And be surprised how sturdy it is):

7) De-uglify it a bit with the "Tacticool tape":

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 12:46:39 AM by DarkHelmet » Logged
Dogslayer

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 09:34:55 PM »

My .308 came with a folding charging handle. You might want to email Ken
and see if he will sell them separately. My 5.56 has the same one as yours,
it works fine. I am going to see about getting a folding one for it. It's nice
to have the folding one so you can use two fingers to pull it.
DarkHelmet
^

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 02:00:35 PM »

Thanks for the heads up, I'll reach out to Ken and see if he sells them for the 556.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length