Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 05:28:44 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Shotguns
| |-+  Kel-Tec KSG (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  Battle-worn bronze KSG Anyone know how to?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Battle-worn bronze KSG Anyone know how to?  (Read 1982 times)
spawn350

« on: December 23, 2016, 12:42:10 PM »

All,

So, I was at the gun shop and they had some KSGs in shop and I made an impulse buy of a Bronze KSG. They guy at the shop told me that the plastics were infused with bronze and not painted. I got home, noticed there was already a scratch in the fore grip with black showing underneath, found this forum and validated that they are just Cerakoted. So.....I was thinking that I could turn this to lemonade if there was a way for me to do a "battle worn" finish myself. Will steel wool and some elbow grease get it done (or another way), or will I most likely just ruin the gun?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays!!!
Hivedr.

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 02:49:27 PM »

Without a photo to see your start point it is kind of hard to point you in a direction. But a simple dry brushing of "grungy" colors that correspond with the underlying plastic and metal parts as they would age exposed to handling and weather is easy. Dry brushing is and old and proven method of weathering. I have been using in model building for more than 40 years.

spawn350

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 03:11:34 PM »

Thanks for the reply - I am starting with just a bronze KSG like you would buy from the store. I haven't touched it yet. I was thinking more about trying to remove cerakote to reveal the underlying black plastic. Do you think that is an option?
Hivedr.

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 12:17:47 AM »

Thanks for the reply - I am starting with just a bronze KSG like you would buy from the store. I haven't touched it yet. I was thinking more about trying to remove cerakote to reveal the underlying black plastic. Do you think that is an option?

You would be better off IMO to have it professionally re coated vs trying to strip it.

To strip it you would need to "sand blast" the Cerakote off. It's easy to do except now you will be committed to what could turn into a lot of work.

Try weathering it first with some Testors "Acrylic" model paints. Crazy part is the stuff is easy to work
with and can be removed without harming the Cerakote should you not like the look. Once drying it last a long time and oils seem not to effect it. A google search will bring up a lot of "dry brushing" examples and
how to's.
Jack Flag

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 02:52:10 AM »

You could just unload it and toss it around in your yard. Or down the driveway. Cheesy

Or, take some very fine grit sandpaper or rubbing alcohol or similar or some paint thinner/etc and use some shop towels and rub down the gun with some elbow grease. Starting with the high points. Plenty of pics online to look at to get a "battleworn" finish if that's what you want.

Just be careful and take your time. Whether it's plastic underneath or metal. You can always take a little more off. But not put it back on.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 02:54:33 AM by Jack Flag » Logged
MattyGuns

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 10:53:04 PM »

I've done a battle worn look on an AR before. I even used engine enamel. Anyway, what I did was spray the upper and lower receivers. Then once fully coated and dried, I hit it with steel wool and buffed and sanded the paint down to the black and left it. Looked good too. Wish I still had the pic in my phone to show you.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length